$50 budget gaming/2 independant monitor GPU

G

Just read the stickied template provided, and decided to make a clearer statement of my case. Dont mind if its ATI or NVidia. What should I buy if these are my conditions:

1. Used to have an NVIDIA GEFORCE 9600GX 1GB PCI-E X16 till it broke. It served all my gaming needs and was capable of two independant monitors, but was too noisy. Now I run the PC on the motherboard default card.

300W PSU.

2. Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia 1.01
Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2,67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
4GB RAM.

BTX Case.

Quite simply I don't know if it's Crossfire/SLI enabled. Looks like there's only one x16 slot, so maybe not, but I don't know how that works.

G

I guess I'd want an SLI/Crossfire enabled if in the future I get a new case.
Nicely quiet would be nice, so without a fan, or are all gaming cards overheating and require one?

You will need to buy a new motherboard and a new case if you want SLI or CrossFire. The BTX format was short lived.

A fanless video card needs good ventilation otherwise it can cause your PC to overheat. The fastest nVidia fanless card is a GTS 450. The fastest ATI fanless card is a HD 5750. Both of which are out of your price range.

$50 is very low for a video card and you will get a less powerful card than the 9600 GS or GT (the is no such thing as a 9600 GX) that you have.

G

Oh i thought Crossfire/SLI was a graphics card thing. Silly really when after all SLI and crossfire are just about having two graphics cards, so it clearly is just about the mobo.

Rolli what is MIR?

Perhaps i'll go for the GS as its probably what I previously had, or GTX, or GX or whatever it was. Here's what HP says I had, a GX lol:

http://www.teamonerepair.com/TeamOne/searcher.asp?p=466762001&c=REF&m=HP

I'd think about ATI but if its true their Eyefinity means the monitors cant be independant i think i'll pass...

G

Crikey I think i'll leave the fanless idea apart then. Even though the BTX cases where thought explicitly for air circulation in mind, it sounds too risky. I'm surprised 50 dollars is so low as the 9600 must be like 3 years old by now. I think i might go for one of these again thou the fan on my ex vid card is way smaller than what i'm seeing at newegg!

Wolfshadw

Titan
MIR = Mail In Rebate

SLI/Crossfire *is* about having two (or more) graphic cards, but your motherboard needs to have two PCI-Ex16 graphic card slots.

The 9600GX does exist, but I believe it was an OEM part particular to HP.

-Wolf sends

G

Well I'm finding the greatest challenge as i do research is to find a card that'll go in a 300W PSU... Nvidia's site no longer lists its 8000 series which is where I've had to go to because Ati's 4000 go on 400W... so i'm still clueless...

Unbelievably the twits at HP invented their own card the 9600GX which could go in the 300W they built LOL, and the 9600GT and GS cannot!