RPN Calculator

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 5:14:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Tiger now has RPN Calculator
Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.

Its about time.

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> In January I posted two articles detailing my thoughts on, first, my
> brother's new iBook G4
> * If Apple went to the trouble of providing a plugin functionality
for
> Calculator, why not one to handle RPN? At least there's GNU dc from
> the command line.

More about : rpn calculator

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 2:10:36 PM

In article <1114589696.445851.51650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tiger now has RPN Calculator
> Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.
>
> Its about time.

There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.

--
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

On 2005-04-27, George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:
> There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
> It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.

Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
willing to destroy my 16C to do it.
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 7:03:27 PM

In comp.sys.mac.system Jay Maynard <jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote:
> On 2005-04-27, George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:
>> There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
>> It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.
>
> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.

I can't belive I'm reading this, having writtem Perl/Tk versions of an
HP 21 and HP 16C myself!

http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/ptk/images/tkhpcalc-large.p...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 7:18:19 PM

On 2005-04-27, Steve Lidie <lusol@Dragonfly.cc.lehigh.edu> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.system Jay Maynard <jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote:
>> On 2005-04-27, George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:
>>> There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
>>> It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.
>> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
>> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.

After finding the app, it's an emulation, not a direct transfer of the
built-in software, which is what I'd thought the oriignal poster said.

> I can't belive I'm reading this, having writtem Perl/Tk versions of an
> HP 21 and HP 16C myself!
> http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/ptk/images/tkhpcalc-large.p...

The 21 isn't that hard to do; the 16C is, if you emulate everything. Some of
the functions are quite tricky to get right in all modes of the machine.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 7:43:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- spoke thus:

> Tiger now has RPN Calculator
> Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.
>
> Its about time.

FAR OUT! Good move, Apple!
Wonder if the App is scriptable?

-- Gnarlie
echo 38698196677083401706731788025369086101258315035012362P|dc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 9:59:14 PM

In article <slrnd6vb9p.ngu.jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx>,
jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx says...
> > I can't belive I'm reading this, having writtem Perl/Tk versions of an
> > HP 21 and HP 16C myself!
> > http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/ptk/images/tkhpcalc-large.p...
>
> The 21 isn't that hard to do; the 16C is, if you emulate everything. Some of
> the functions are quite tricky to get right in all modes of the machine.

Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
once had, and lost somewhere. I still have a 41CV, but recently
purchased their 33s, which is RPN, but is a disappointment. The
kbd layout is too funky.

That being said, I despise computer calculators, especially the
scientific variety, it is too time consuming clicking mouse buttons
instead of just typing on a good handheld calculator that you know
well. Having a computer application to do it completely misses the
point of having a convenient, handheld, instant-on device that you
are familiar with and efficient in the use therof. Note that a
HP calculator doesn't have pop-up help, but it is very user friendly,
provided the user knows something about mathematics.

The touchscreen versions of calculators for things like Ipaqs come
closer, but still not quite as efficient to use.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard

In article <BE950F4C.8F0E%gnarlodious@yahoo.com>,
gnarlodious@yahoo.com says...
> Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- spoke thus:
>
> > Tiger now has RPN Calculator
> > Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.
> >
> > Its about time.
>
> FAR OUT! Good move, Apple!
> Wonder if the App is scriptable?

Dunno, but any command line scriptable one you can
find open source can probably be ported over easily
to the Mac.

I don't know of one offhand, but you might start
here:
http://www.hpcalc.org/

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 2:40:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:59:14 GMT, Randy Howard
<randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

>Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
>emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
>once had, and lost somewhere.

There are 4 HP 16Cs being auctioned on ebay right now. The "Buy it
Now" price is set somewhere near $200.

(Non-sequitur question: is there any way to get data of pricing info
for old Ebay auctions?)

If you think these are pricey, check out Ebay for the Curta mechanical
calculators. These guys seem to go for well north of $500 each. A
website describing these guys and their inventor was published in the
1/2004 issue of Scientific American. The website
http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm contains many pictures plus a working
simulator of the Curta. Way cool! And I highly recommend the SciAm
article.

I still have my battle-scarred HP 16C (which has survived several
endian attacks through the years). Years ago when I was in a
Computation Structures course, I was going in for a test which
contained questions on 1's and 2's complement arithmetic. I asked my
TA if I needed to check my calculator at the door. He declined,
saying: "We find that people who own this calculator have no problem
with these concepts." Funny! I did the questions by hand and verified
them with my calculator.

HP still sells the 12c financial calculator. I've sometimes wondered
why they never did periodic manufacturing runs of the 16c machines.

--phil
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 4:14:18 AM

In article <slrnd6v864.n6h.jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx>,
Jay Maynard <jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote:

> On 2005-04-27, George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:
> > There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
> > It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.
>
> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.

There's an O'Reilly book on learning programming with OS X. One of the exercises
is a calculator. I didn't like it, so I rewrote it to be an RPN calculator. (I
needed to change some keys, add a stack, and rewrite the operators. No biggie.)
So to emulate a 16c would be easy enough. Add the keys, bind a routine to each
one that does the right things, and off you go.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,

In article <MPG.1cd98eec68da7e1f98a4cc@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <slrnd6vb9p.ngu.jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx>,
> jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx says...
> > > I can't belive I'm reading this, having writtem Perl/Tk versions of an
> > > HP 21 and HP 16C myself!
> > > http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/ptk/images/tkhpcalc-large.p...
> >
> > The 21 isn't that hard to do; the 16C is, if you emulate everything. Some of
> > the functions are quite tricky to get right in all modes of the machine.
>
> Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
> emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
> once had, and lost somewhere. I still have a 41CV, but recently
> purchased their 33s, which is RPN, but is a disappointment. The
> kbd layout is too funky.
>
> That being said, I despise computer calculators, especially the
> scientific variety, it is too time consuming clicking mouse buttons
> instead of just typing on a good handheld calculator that you know
> well. Having a computer application to do it completely misses the
> point of having a convenient, handheld, instant-on device that you
> are familiar with and efficient in the use therof. Note that a
> HP calculator doesn't have pop-up help, but it is very user friendly,
> provided the user knows something about mathematics.
>
> The touchscreen versions of calculators for things like Ipaqs come
> closer, but still not quite as efficient to use.

There's no reason why the numeric keypad on a big keyboard can't do what an RPN
calculator does. The tricky part is all the special functions. I suppose one
could cheat on those and set them up with text abbreviations (and the equals key
to close them): Instead of clicking the Sin button, you'd type

5 <enter> sin= 4 +

to get sin(5)+4 .

A clever programmer can make the keys of the computer substitute for the buttons
on the screen. Then the copy and paste functions become useful.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,
then Linux is a freighter with wood paneling in the officers' quarters.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 4:18:43 AM

In article <MPG.1cd990964561a39198a4cd@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> In article <BE950F4C.8F0E%gnarlodious@yahoo.com>,
> gnarlodious@yahoo.com says...
> > Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- spoke thus:
> >
> > > Tiger now has RPN Calculator
> > > Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.
> > >
> > > Its about time.
> >
> > FAR OUT! Good move, Apple!
> > Wonder if the App is scriptable?
>
> Dunno, but any command line scriptable one you can
> find open source can probably be ported over easily
> to the Mac.
>
> I don't know of one offhand, but you might start
> here:
> http://www.hpcalc.org/

Why script a calculator if the scripting language already does math?

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,
then Linux is a freighter with wood paneling in the officers' quarters.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 4:24:23 AM

In article <timberwoof-C02202.17184427042005@typhoon.sonic.net>,
timberwoof@stimpberawoofm.com says...
> In article <MPG.1cd990964561a39198a4cd@news.verizon.net>,
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <BE950F4C.8F0E%gnarlodious@yahoo.com>,
> > gnarlodious@yahoo.com says...
> > > Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- spoke thus:

> > > FAR OUT! Good move, Apple!
> > > Wonder if the App is scriptable?
> >
> > Dunno, but any command line scriptable one you can
> > find open source can probably be ported over easily
> > to the Mac.
> >
> > I don't know of one offhand, but you might start
> > here:
> > http://www.hpcalc.org/
>
> Why script a calculator if the scripting language already does math?

Perhaps because you want to use something special available on
the calculator. Think the add-on packs for the HP41CV/CX.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 6:40:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Entity Timberwoof spoke thus:

> Why script a calculator if the scripting language already does math?
Besides the usual scripted interface I can think of quite a a few, for
example:

tell application "RPN Calculator" to open dateCalculator
tell dateCalculator to run routine julianCentury with parameters { 2005, 4,
20, 32, 4, 55 }
Set the result to centuryIncrement

.... and use that variable in your Applescript

While you can't run routines on an algebraic calculator, you can on an RPN
calculator.

-- Gnarlie
http://PowerMops.com/
PowerMops: Forth Programming Language for Macintosh
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 9:42:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <j5p071l9slsti00p8t2en62gmponq8q53n@4ax.com>, pae@dim.com
says...
> >Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
> >emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
> >once had, and lost somewhere.
>
> There are 4 HP 16Cs being auctioned on ebay right now. The "Buy it
> Now" price is set somewhere near $200.

I'd be leary of getting one with a bad key or something from e-bay.
If I could test it out in person first, it might be worth it. I
find I can do most of the stuff in my head nowadays that I used
to use it for anyway.

> (Non-sequitur question: is there any way to get data of pricing info
> for old Ebay auctions?)

No idea, I don't do the ebay thing.

> If you think these are pricey, check out Ebay for the Curta mechanical
> calculators. These guys seem to go for well north of $500 each.

Yeah, I've seen them before (over the web) but never up close. They
would probably be worth that, and appreciate further over time. But,
I don't have an abacus collection either, so apart from being a
mechanical marvel, not that useful to me.

> Years ago when I was in a Computation Structures course, I was going
> in for a test which contained questions on 1's and 2's complement
> arithmetic. I asked my TA if I needed to check my calculator at the
> door. He declined, saying: "We find that people who own this calculator
> have no problem with these concepts."

:-) Excellent, and probably quite accurate. You could always tell
who was going to have trouble in engineering courses back then,
because they were carrying a Casio or a Ti instead of an HP.

> HP still sells the 12c financial calculator.

A mystery never fully explained. :-) Beancounters today use excel
like it came out of the womb with them.

> I've sometimes wondered why they never did periodic manufacturing
> runs of the 16c machines.

Probably because they can no longer replicate the keyboard feel.
People still whine about the lack of the 41CV feel even today.
When the big HP RPN calculators came out recently, they got slagged
horribly for keyboard problems. Quality is job 4,379 nowadays.
Especially if the parts suppliers are all in Taiwan.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 11:50:14 AM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:42:31 GMT, Randy Howard
<randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

>In article <j5p071l9slsti00p8t2en62gmponq8q53n@4ax.com>, pae@dim.com
>says...
>> >Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
>> >emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
>> >once had, and lost somewhere.
<snipped>
>> HP still sells the 12c financial calculator.
>
>A mystery never fully explained. :-) Beancounters today use excel
>like it came out of the womb with them.
>
>> I've sometimes wondered why they never did periodic manufacturing
>> runs of the 16c machines.
>
>Probably because they can no longer replicate the keyboard feel.
>People still whine about the lack of the 41CV feel even today.
>When the big HP RPN calculators came out recently, they got slagged
>horribly for keyboard problems. Quality is job 4,379 nowadays.
>Especially if the parts suppliers are all in Taiwan.

This thread brought back some great memories.... Being an engineer, I
never found a reason to buy a 12C, but I still have my 16C and a pair
of 15C's (one for at work and one at home). I imagine they will
"always" be the finest calculators ever made.
Charlie Hoffpauir
April 28, 2005 2:14:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Kevin wrote:
<snip>

> I dunno. I despise HP because I didn't have one. RPN is a
> bit nostalgic and elitist, kind of like emacs. To be fair, it does
> eliminate parenthesis. But MatLab or Mathematica does a better job
on
> nearly any engineering problem.

rpn is simply better and quicker for long or complex calculations.
compared to other calculators, even trivial equations such as:
(3+5) / (7-9)
can be entered quicker and easier.

sure matlab or mathematica do a better job, but they're not as quick,
easy, convenient, or portable.

> You guys are NUTS for missing these calculators. :)

how are you even judging if you didn't even have one?
April 28, 2005 4:49:33 PM

Kevin wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.advocacy ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> > Kevin wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> >> I dunno. I despise HP because I didn't have one. RPN is a
> >> bit nostalgic and elitist, kind of like emacs. To be fair, it
does
> >> eliminate parenthesis. But MatLab or Mathematica does a better
job
> > on
> >> nearly any engineering problem.
>
> > rpn is simply better and quicker for long or complex calculations.
> > compared to other calculators, even trivial equations such as:
> > (3+5) / (7-9)
> > can be entered quicker and easier.
>
> (3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
> 35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.

you got both counts wrong. it's 12 vs. 9 keypresses, but quicker and
easier isn't just about the number of strokes.

> The stack recall buttons are definitely a plus on the models that
> offer the feature. I'm not sure - do any infix calculators offer
> the ability to undo?
>
> > sure matlab or mathematica do a better job, but they're not as
quick,
> > easy,
>
> Very debatable. I'll simply say it's probably more personal
preference
> than anything else.
>
> > convenient, or portable.
>
> True.
>
> >> You guys are NUTS for missing these calculators. :)
>
> > how are you even judging if you didn't even have one?
>
> I should have said I didn't have one in my early undergrad days.
They
> definitely put the starving student at a disadvantage.
>
> I owned an HP48 SX once the price dropped below $300.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 5:44:30 PM

Phil Earnhardt <pae@dim.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:59:14 GMT, Randy Howard
> <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
> >emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
> >once had, and lost somewhere.
>
> There are 4 HP 16Cs being auctioned on ebay right now. The "Buy it
> Now" price is set somewhere near $200.
>
> (Non-sequitur question: is there any way to get data of pricing info
> for old Ebay auctions?)

Yes. Do an advanced search and select 'only closed auctions'.

It doesn't go back all that far, but it's better than nothing.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 8:43:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cd98eec68da7e1f98a4cc@news.verizon.net>,
Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:

> That being said, I despise computer calculators, especially the
> scientific variety, it is too time consuming clicking mouse buttons
> instead of just typing on a good handheld calculator that you know
> well.

I don't know about the one on Tiger, but all previous ones on the Mac
let you use the ten-key on the keyboard.

a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 8:48:53 PM

In comp.sys.mac.misc Randy Howard <randyhoward@fooverizonbar.net> wrote:
>> door. He declined, saying: "We find that people who own this calculator
>> have no problem with these concepts."

> :-) Excellent, and probably quite accurate. You could always tell
> who was going to have trouble in engineering courses back then,
> because they were carrying a Casio or a Ti instead of an HP.

Ga Tech had several nobel nominated physics instructors who found
the undergrad teaching beneath their status. One derived Einstein's
equation in the first five minutes of class and asked if their were
any questions. No one bothered of course.

His hour long tests always had the same format. Five questions, multiple
choice. No one ever finished. Lorentz time dilation questions had answers
like 0.5/sqrt(2), -0.5/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2), and -1/sqrt(2). The scores
were a histogram. 20% - 10 students, 40% - 40 students, 60% - 20 students,
80% - 10 students, 100% - 2 students.

Students were allowed to take a calculator and a pencil. This was
the dawning of the text enabled calculators. The HP 48SX was the
calc of choice. The teacher either didn't understand or didn't care
that the calcs were terrific for cheating. While we got a few
constants on the test page, anyone with the HPSX had a physics book
full of constants. And while he was looking for someone to trip up
on a power of 2 or a negative sign, the HP programming never made the
trivial mistakes a pencil pusher did. A few people tried importing
textbook pages with the serial cable ... but that was too blatant.
They never did well.

I dunno. I despise HP because I didn't have one. RPN is a
bit nostalgic and elitist, kind of like emacs. To be fair, it does
eliminate parenthesis. But MatLab or Mathematica does a better job on
nearly any engineering problem.

You guys are NUTS for missing these calculators. :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 10:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In comp.sys.mac.advocacy ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> <snip>

>> I dunno. I despise HP because I didn't have one. RPN is a
>> bit nostalgic and elitist, kind of like emacs. To be fair, it does
>> eliminate parenthesis. But MatLab or Mathematica does a better job
> on
>> nearly any engineering problem.

> rpn is simply better and quicker for long or complex calculations.
> compared to other calculators, even trivial equations such as:
> (3+5) / (7-9)
> can be entered quicker and easier.

(3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.

The stack recall buttons are definitely a plus on the models that
offer the feature. I'm not sure - do any infix calculators offer
the ability to undo?

> sure matlab or mathematica do a better job, but they're not as quick,
> easy,

Very debatable. I'll simply say it's probably more personal preference
than anything else.

> convenient, or portable.

True.

>> You guys are NUTS for missing these calculators. :)

> how are you even judging if you didn't even have one?

I should have said I didn't have one in my early undergrad days. They
definitely put the starving student at a disadvantage.

I owned an HP48 SX once the price dropped below $300.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 11:47:24 PM

In article <d4r8gn$hn8$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, Kevin <bastian@fake.com>
wrote:

> (3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
twelve?
> 35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.
errp?
If you meant 3 enter 5 add 7 enter 9 subtract divide, that makes 9 key
presses

I guess if you can't count, any calculator, no matter what design, is
nothing but a sub-$300 ornament.

> I owned an HP48 SX once the price dropped below $300.

VBG

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

In comp.sys.mac.advocacy Elliott Roper <nospam@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <d4r8gn$hn8$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, Kevin <bastian@fake.com>
> wrote:
>
>> (3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
> twelve?
>> 35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.
> errp?
> If you meant 3 enter 5 add 7 enter 9 subtract divide, that makes 9 key
> presses

Indeed. This goes a long way in explaining why I switched from EE
to Computer Science.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 12:08:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Yeah but they all still bottom post in the RPN style anyway. It suits them.
I prefer to concentrate on the formula, not the entry sequence method.

"ed" <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote in message

> Kevin wrote:
> > In comp.sys.mac.advocacy ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
> > > Kevin wrote:
> > > <snip>

> does
> job
> > > on
> >
> > > rpn is simply better and quicker for long or complex calculations.
> > > compared to other calculators, even trivial equations such as:
> > > (3+5) / (7-9)
> > > can be entered quicker and easier.
> >
> > (3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
> > 35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.
>
> you got both counts wrong. it's 12 vs. 9 keypresses, but quicker and
> easier isn't just about the number of strokes.
>
> > The stack recall buttons are definitely a plus on the models that
> > offer the feature. I'm not sure - do any infix calculators offer
> > the ability to undo?
> >
> > > sure matlab or mathematica do a better job, but they're not as
> quick,
> > > easy,
> >
> > Very debatable. I'll simply say it's probably more personal
> preference
> > than anything else.
> >
> > > convenient, or portable.
> >
> > True.

> > > how are you even judging if you didn't even have one?
> >
> > I should have said I didn't have one in my early undergrad days.
> They
> > definitely put the starving student at a disadvantage.
> >
> > I owned an HP48 SX once the price dropped below $300.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 12:09:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Get the New RPN calculator with the editable history screen.

"Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Entity Timberwoof spoke thus:
>
> > Why script a calculator if the scripting language already does math?
> Besides the usual scripted interface I can think of quite a a few, for
> example:
>
> tell application "RPN Calculator" to open dateCalculator
> tell dateCalculator to run routine julianCentury with parameters { 2005,
4,
> 20, 32, 4, 55 }
> Set the result to centuryIncrement
>
> ... and use that variable in your Applescript
>
> While you can't run routines on an algebraic calculator, you can on an RPN
> calculator.
>

> -- Gnarlie
> http://PowerMops.com/
> PowerMops: Forth Programming Language for Macintosh

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 12:11:57 AM

In article <d4rbd1$iji$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, Kevin <bastian@fake.com>
wrote:

> In comp.sys.mac.advocacy Elliott Roper <nospam@yrl.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <d4r8gn$hn8$1@gondor.sdsu.edu>, Kevin <bastian@fake.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> (3+5) / (7-9) = .... eleven key presses.
> > twelve?
> >> 35+79-/ ... eleven key presses.
> > errp?
> > If you meant 3 enter 5 add 7 enter 9 subtract divide, that makes 9 key
> > presses
>
> Indeed. This goes a long way in explaining why I switched from EE
> to Computer Science.

heh! gracious reply Kevin!

It goes a long way in explaining why I hired physics PhDs instead of CS
grads as programmers.
Actually, the best programmer I ever had was a drop-out chemistry PhD.
There is no telling where programming genius comes from, and an ability
to count is not *that* high on the list.
;-)

Elliott

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 1:51:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Followup-to: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system and
comp.sys.mac.misc

Phil Earnhardt <pae@dim.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:59:14 GMT, Randy Howard
> <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, but there are entire websites devoted to old HP calculator
> >emulators, of various degrees of quality. I too long for the 16C I
> >once had, and lost somewhere.
>
> There are 4 HP 16Cs being auctioned on ebay right now. The "Buy it
> Now" price is set somewhere near $200.

Really? I have a HP25; a HP41C - with 4 -5 plug-in application modules,
a Quad memory module, a card reader and a printer; a HP65 and a HP67 -
with a few applications including the magnetic cards; as well as an
HP16C.

I was going to throw them out.

I also have 4 - 5 years of HP Key Notes in a binder.

The only HP calculator I want to keep is a HP28C.

Otherwise, I use Bill Menees RPNcalculater 1.3 (an HP48 emulator) on my
Windows PC. Works well together with the Numeric Keypad on an IBM PS/2
keyboard. Lovely feel to that keyboard, although the Apple Extended
Keyboard II (ADB) comes a very close second. Reminds me of the feel of
the keys on a real HP calculator :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 5:45:49 AM

In article <1114733158.312b52df04c69105a1d13dbed68394f1@teranews>,
<EuntyJerk@webtv.net> wrote:
> Yeah but they all still bottom post in the RPN style anyway. It suits them.
> I prefer to concentrate on the formula, not the entry sequence method.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

--Tim Smith
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 8:08:37 AM

In article <michelle-715BF6.16435428042005@news.west.cox.net>,
michelle@michelle.org says...
> In article <MPG.1cd98eec68da7e1f98a4cc@news.verizon.net>,
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
> > That being said, I despise computer calculators, especially the
> > scientific variety, it is too time consuming clicking mouse buttons
> > instead of just typing on a good handheld calculator that you know
> > well.
>
> I don't know about the one on Tiger, but all previous ones on the Mac
> let you use the ten-key on the keyboard.

I don't doubt that. Many scientific calculators, RPN or otherwise
use many more keys than the 10-key pad contains. Even the lowly
HP-33s has 65 keys, all but two of which (the shift keys) can be
overloaded to do two other things, plus mode buttons up above.

If you consider the programmable ones it gets even more out of
hand (pardon the pun) on a computer keyboard.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Making it hard to do stupid things often makes it hard
to do smart ones too." -- Andrew Koenig
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 9:25:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Awesome! Got it - Thanks

George Berger wrote:
> In article <1114589696.445851.51650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Tiger now has RPN Calculator
> > Use the reverse polish method of calculator input.
> >
> > Its about time.
>
> There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
> It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 2:31:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article
<reply_in_group-48F965.18454928042005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

That's brilliant. Do you mind if I use it?

Neill McKay
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 7:11:17 PM

In "Re: RPN Calculator", Phil Earnhardt <pae@dim.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:59:14 GMT, Randy Howard
><randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote:
>
>[...] check out Ebay for the Curta mechanical
>calculators. These guys seem to go for well north of $500 each.

<pop!> There goes another dream. I always wanted one of those, but never thought
that everyone else might too. D*mn! <g>

(...And forget the emulators, the whole pleasure is in cranking the handle and
*feeling* the sewing-machine whirr of the gears inside...)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 8:23:42 PM

HP16c Emulator http://www.midiox.com/hp16c/
Jay Maynard wrote:

> On 2005-04-27, George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:
> > There's also a HP 12C application available. Go Google
> > It's a direct transfer from a real one to the computer application.
>
> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 10:07:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Put your own advertising first!

Top-posting

Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <1114733158.312b52df04c69105a1d13dbed68394f1@teranews>,
> <EuntyJerk@webtv.net> wrote:
> > Yeah but they all still bottom post in the RPN style anyway. It
suits them.
> > I prefer to concentrate on the formula, not the entry sequence
method.

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

> --Tim Smith
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2005 3:57:04 AM

In article <neill.mckay-4326BA.07320029042005@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
Neill McKay <neill.mckay@not.my.address> wrote:
> In article
> <reply_in_group-48F965.18454928042005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
>
> That's brilliant. Do you mind if I use it?

It doesn't bother me, since I stole it from someone, so go ahead. :-)

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

[Please don't top-post.]

On 2005-04-29, -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jay Maynard wrote:
>> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
>> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.
> HP16c Emulator http://www.midiox.com/hp16c/

Unfortunately, it's Windows-only, and firing up Virtual PC to run it takes a
lot longer than I'm interested in. (I'm reading this in comp.sys.mac.misc.)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2005 2:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1114589696.445851.51650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Tiger now has RPN Calculator

Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this, but there's been an RPN
calculator in OS X since the begining:

Torch:~ cbrown$ dc
1 2 3 * + p q
7
Torch:~ cbrown$

HTH!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2005 8:53:44 PM

In article <3b0ck2-h2c.ln1@narcissus.dyndns.org>,
Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>In article <1114589696.445851.51650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Tiger now has RPN Calculator
>
>Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this, but there's been an RPN
>calculator in OS X since the begining:
>
>Torch:~ cbrown$ dc
>1 2 3 * + p q
>7
>Torch:~ cbrown$
>
>HTH!

Cool. A form of dc (and brother bc) have been in Unix derivatives as
long as I can remember. I asssume OS X has the GNU implementation of
the original Unix version.

Later, -ingo
--
/* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Followup-to: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system and
comp.sys.mac.misc

Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

> In article <1114589696.445851.51650@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Tiger now has RPN Calculator
>
> Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this, but there's been an RPN
> calculator in OS X since the begining:
>
> Torch:~ cbrown$ dc
> 1 2 3 * + p q
> 7
> Torch:~ cbrown$

Interesting. Although that's a pretty good example of when you *don't*
want to use RPN; entering from left to right. That would be more suited
to algebraic notation.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 1:10:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

That is moronic and anybody with half a brain can see it. Let's use your
example with the RPN technique you try to communiucate with from the 1970s.

It's pretty easy to see the muddleheadedness of it Try a moderne browser
that can thread and go with it instead of fighting it's natural order.

Jane said (header)
Jimmy said (header)
Joe said (header)
John said (header) Joe said (header)
John said (header)
What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Bottom-posting.
Why is bottom-posting such a bad thing?
Because it messes up the header association with the text.
Who would do such a moronic thing?
John would.

"Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> In article <1114733158.312b52df04c69105a1d13dbed68394f1@teranews>,
> <EuntyJerk@webtv.net> wrote:
> > Yeah but they all still bottom post in the RPN style anyway. It suits
them.
> > I prefer to concentrate on the formula, not the entry sequence method.
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

> --Tim Smith
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 1:12:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

(order corrected for clarity)

Why not top post? RPN and Forth went out years ago.

"Jay Maynard" <jmaynard@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, it's Windows-only, and firing up Virtual PC to run it takes
> lot longer than I'm interested in. (I'm reading this in
comp.sys.mac.misc.)
> [Please don't top-post.]
>
> On 2005-04-29, -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Jay Maynard wrote:
> >> Any idea how they did it? I'd love to see a 16C version...but I'm not
> >> willing to destroy my 16C to do it.
> > HP16c Emulator http://www.midiox.com/hp16c/

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 1:31:59 AM

In article <d50d6o$7uf$1@rainier.uits.indiana.edu>,
Ingo Cyliax <cyliax@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>Cool. A form of dc (and brother bc) have been in Unix derivatives as
>long as I can remember. I asssume OS X has the GNU implementation of
>the original Unix version.

So it seems:

Torch:~ cbrown$ dc --ver
dc 1.2 (GNU bc 1.05)
Copyright 1994, 1997, 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Email bug reports to: bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu .
Be sure to include the word `dc'' somewhere in the `Subject:'' field.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 9:21:59 PM

Phil> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> It takes a peculiar kind of arrogant ignorance to (a)
>> misunderstand what it's for, (b) take the misunderstandig as
>> gospel. Not to mention the arrogance involved in misunderstanding
>> the nature of the usenet medium, and the arrogance in the "I do
>> what I like, not what is best for others" posture.

Phil> More arrogance in this msg than implicit in the other

Welcome to the usenet police force. Oh did I post correctly! Arrest
me.

Man this message was crossposted to many newsgroups also! I didn't do
that!

;-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2005 1:40:19 AM

In comp.sys.laptops EuntyJerk@webtv.net wrote:
> Why not top post? RPN and Forth went out years ago.

Because I don't read upside down.

Because this is a living conversation, not an upside down and mirror
writer's yearly convention, or a letter to your lawyer.

Because other people have to be able to reply to the reply to your
reply, and still undertstand what they and you are talking about.

Learn to edit correctly, please!

Check the etiquette FAQ before using MS boorishness. And the joke is
that when MS leaves the cursor at the top of your reply sheet, it is so
that you can move down through the post, editing away what you do not
commet on, and commenting on what you leave.

It takes a peculiar kind of arrogant ignorance to (a) misunderstand what
it's for, (b) take the misunderstandig as gospel.

Not to mention the arrogance involved in misunderstanding the nature of
the usenet medium, and the arrogance in the "I do what I like, not what
is best for others" posture.

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2005 1:40:20 AM

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> It takes a peculiar kind of arrogant ignorance to (a) misunderstand what
> it's for, (b) take the misunderstandig as gospel.
>
> Not to mention the arrogance involved in misunderstanding the nature of
> the usenet medium, and the arrogance in the "I do what I like, not what
> is best for others" posture.

More arrogance in this msg than implicit in the other
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2005 1:40:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

That is moronic and anybody with half a brain can see it. Let's use your
example with the RPN technique you try to communiucate with from the 1970s.

It's pretty easy to see the muddleheadedness of it Try a moderne browser
that can thread and go with it instead of fighting it's natural order.

Jane said (header)
Jimmy said (header)
Joe said (header)
John said (header) Joe said (header)
John said (header)
What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Bottom-posting.
Why is bottom-posting such a bad thing?
Because it messes up the header association with the text.
Who would do such a moronic thing?
John would.
I can read eitehr style but tend not to scroll down for your message that
far. Why would you post things you don't want most to read?.

!