Solved

Which GTX460?

Hello

I just bought a MSI OC GTX460 with 1G DDR5 and core speed of 725.
I can oc it with the software provided.

Or I can take it back and for20 dollars more, I can get the MSI Hawks Talon version the GTX 460. It has a core speed of 800 ,

Should I take the card back and get the Hawk Talon version? Or since the boards is eary to OC with the included software keep the one I have and OC it?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which gtx460
  1. I would at least overclock the one you have and see how high you can get it first.
  2. Don't go out any buy something that's factory OC'ed if its more (The only difference between the GTX 460's are bus sizes/memory, clock speed and cooler). You can do it at home without voiding any warranties (And get the same result). I have their Cyclone GTX 460 and can get it to about 890/2000 w/o voltage adjustments. If I like it unstable I can get about 918/2100 w/o voltage adjustments :).

The GTX 460 has a lot of potential for OC'ing, and they seem to run pretty cool. 1 hour of Furmark at 890 was 70 C's, and stock wont push past 60-63 (All with auto fan).
  3. gidgiddonihah said:
    Don't go out any buy something that's factory OC'ed if its more (The only difference between the GTX 460's are bus sizes/memory, clock speed and cooler). You can do it at home without voiding any warranties (And get the same result). I have their Cyclone GTX 460 and can get it to about 890/2000 w/o voltage adjustments. If I like it unstable I can get about 918/2100 w/o voltage adjustments :).

The GTX 460 has a lot of potential for OC'ing, and they seem to run pretty cool. 1 hour of Furmark at 890 was 70 C's, and stock wont push past 60-63 (All with auto fan).

The reason why I wanted to change is because the Hawk Talon version has the higher clock speed and it has two fans on it instead of one.

I have a gift card with the extra 20 dollars on it to up grade to the Hawk Taln model.

Should I do it or keep the gift card and use it for something else and keep the 460 I bought now?
  4. Best answer
    The extra fan (Maybe 5-8 C's...) isnt worth it, keep your gift card for something else. If you would have read my post, I stated that in my opinion the factory OC (Overclock) is a waste of money. You can do the same at home for free without voiding your warranty.
  5. If you return your the MSI gtx460 and you have extra $20 why not just get a 6870?
    It is more powerful than either.
  6. :) Agreed, unless you play HAWK 2 (tesselation) or a Physx game :lol: . But yea, if you return it get a 6870 for almost the same price...

Forgot about the 68XX series.... :)
  7. If you can afford a GTX 460 then you can afford a cheap packet of ramsinks or mosfet coolers to insure that the card will hold up in the long run.
  8. nforce4max said:
    If you can afford a GTX 460 then you can afford a cheap packet of ramsinks or mosfet coolers to insure that the card will hold up in the long run.

Dumb question, what ramsinks and mosfet coolers?

I do not know if I want to go to AMD Radeon, I like Nvidia. How are Radeon cards?
  9. AMD has theirs problems but i've owned my XFX6870 for a couple months and i've had no problems.Just doesn't seem logical to buy a super O.C. edition 460 if the 6870 is the same price and is still faster.6870 is better at a couple things than the 460.
  10. agreed I have the XFX 6870 and it has ran flawlessly since I bought it, not a great overclocker but like purple stank said its better than the gtx 460 in almost every situation at stock
  11. g335 said:
    Dumb question, what ramsinks and mosfet coolers?

I do not know if I want to go to AMD Radeon, I like Nvidia. How are Radeon cards?

For the MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011&cm_re=enzotech_copper_heatsinks-_-35-708-011-_-Product

For others when there is room. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012&cm_re=enzotech_copper_heatsinks-_-35-708-012-_-Product
  12. Best answer selected by g335.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Core Software Graphics Product MSI-Microstar