[Solved] System Beeps like the keyboard is stuck

mizorie

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I have a homebuilt PC running Windows 7. It has been running just fine until yesterday. It is acting like the keyboard is stuck. I could barely open explorer or close any windows and couldn't see it typing anything specific. I ran my hand over the keyboard as this usually will loosen a stuck key and this did nothing. So I rebooted my PC. Upon reboot I get the beeps that you hear when you push a key on the keyboard, not to be confused with POST beep codes. Windows boots still getting continuous beeps and Windows Password field will just type in a password just like a stuck key. So I reboot and while it is shutting down, I disconnect the keyboard let it power up and I get the same thing with the keyboard disconnected. I have tried to reinstall windows but I can't; after windows expands it's files, the installation basically cancels itself, reboots and goes through it all again. I am not sure what else to check and would appreciate any insight.

mizorie

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
PhilFrisbie: I have tried the PS/2 and various USB keyboards. The problem is the " stuck key" beeping starts right on bootup so I can't access the BIOS at all.

T_T: I have booted it with no keyboard (O.P) but even with the Keyboard and ALL USB devices unhooked, I get the same result.

I am going to disconnect everything fromt he MB one at a time and reconnect, boot up and see if there is a piece of hardware connected to the MB that is causing it to wig out. I will update this post with any findings.

mizorie

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I disconnected the PSU from the MB and reseated the RAM. Not sure what caused the MB to freak out but this resolved the issue. Thanks to the few that took the time to respond.