Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Video
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 6, 2011 4:50:44 PM

So I'm finally going to be building a replacement computer for my desktop system. I don't have any specific hardware choices set in place yet, but I'm most concerned with finding an appropriate video card. Currently I'm running an AGP 4X ATI Radeon 8550 LE, on a P4 3.2ghz. I'm not gaming at all anymore.

What I do want is an S-Video output so that I can have the computer hook into my home theater. Yes, I haven't switched to HD and I don't plan to. Wife and I don't see a big enough difference when visiting friends / relatives that do have HD. I may put this current hardware into a HTPC role, but I'd rather not as its hot and loud. I'm thinking of going with SandyBridge after the MB fixes, or maybe even LGA2011, but as I said, my main concern here is if there is a decent card with S-Video as an output.

If it matters I'm using an NEC CRT as my main computer display and don't plan on changing that either until it dies.

Thanks in advance to any ideas suggestions.

ps, a VGA to svideo adapter isn't a desired configuration, I'd like the s-video plugin to be on card.

More about : seeking advice modern card video

February 6, 2011 5:15:16 PM

My mistake, maybe didn't make that clear, but the existing computer is AGP, I'm looking at a new build. Not using anything from the old system.
m
l
Related resources
a c 831 U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 6:11:10 PM

There's a contradiction in your posts.
someone19 said:
If it matters I'm using an NEC CRT as my main computer display and don't plan on changing that either until it dies.

someone19 said:
Not using anything from the old system.

Disregarding that here are some suggestions for graphics cards that have an S-Video Out port:

ECS Black Series NBGTS250-512MX-F GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3G-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

You will have to use a DVI-to-VGA D-SUB adapter to connect your NEC CRT monitor using the above cards.

XFX HD-435X-ZAH2 Radeon HD 4350 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

XFX HD-455X-YAF2 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
m
l
February 6, 2011 6:16:36 PM

Forgive me - I never really counted peripherals as re-using, so I'll be using monitor, keyboard, mouse, USB hubs, UPS, and network cables from the existing computer.

Which of those listed would be your pick?
m
l
February 6, 2011 9:49:43 PM

I realize that, and thank you for your suggestion.

I just don't want to spend $3k on a whole new setup for the living room just because I'm building a new computer.

Thanks again.

Another thought, how difficult would it be to use one of these as a second card and a different more modern card as a primary?
m
l
a c 831 U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 10:02:22 PM

someone19 said:
I realize that, and thank you for your suggestion.

I just don't want to spend $3k on a whole new setup for the living room just because I'm building a new computer.

Thanks again.

Another thought, how difficult would it be to use one of these as a second card and a different more modern card as a primary?

Not difficult. Just make sure your new motherboard has at least two PCI-E 2.0 x 16 slots capable of operating at x16/x16 or x16/x8 or x8/x8 and the power supply unit is able to provide sufficient power.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 10:25:46 PM

I wouldn't go for an s-video out card myself - the options are just too limited. As you alluded, you can get converters for VGA to s-video. They cost relatively little (~US$10-20) - often less than the difference between these old school cards and the newer, much better ones that only have hdmi/dvi output. These boxes are small, unintrusive, and inexpensive. Why do you not want to use one, and instead spend relatively more on an inferior, obsolete video card???
Obviously, DVI can always be converted to VGA with the little adapter usually bundled with the card, so no need to worry about having a dedicated VGA out on the card - DVI is fine. Here are some boxes on ebay that should do the trick: .
m
l