MSI GTX 465 forzr II not being detected at all....

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have a WIndows 7 64bit system. I am running an ASUS M4A785-M motherboard with a AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core processor. I have everything up and running, Windows 7 working smoothly, but when I install my New MSI N465GTX twin frozr II graphics card, it doesn't show up. It has power connected to it, the fans are spinning. I have gone into the BIOS and tried to disable the onboard graphics, but it doesn't seem to have an option for that. I have uninstalled the onboard graphics, and rebooted and nothing. I am not seeing anyway to disable the onboard graphics in the bios, and Windows 7 is not detecting the card. Even when I manually scan for it, it doesn't show up. The drivers won't install until it is discoverable. ANy ideas?

Possibility is that the card is faulty.
With the card installed the board should automatically default to it. There could be a BIOS option for selecting PCIe as primary graphics device. If you have the monitor hooked up to the onboard with the card in do you get video?

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Yes. When the new card is installed, I still get video to the onboard card, and not the new MSI card. There is no setting in the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics, but under onboard graphics I have four variations of this setting:

PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX (Default)
GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI
IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI

Not sure what that means or if it matters. I changed it and nothing changed on my system. (although I don't really know what I was changing, and I didn't try them all.)

DO you know what those mean?

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
under Primary Video Adapter in the BIOS is where it gives me a drop down for those four choices. And that is all.

I have no option to turn on or default to the PCI-e card.

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I just realized that my Power Supply is a 450W and the card recommends a 550W PSU. The card is powering up and the fans are spinning. Would this possibly make it unrecognizable by windows? It seems like it should still try and use it. I don't want to go buy a new PSU unless I am sure that is what it is. Has anyone run into this issue before?

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Yeah, mine is a decent quality PSU and seems to be powering it fine, I just can't seem to figure out how to make the Motherboard see this GPU. I have never had any trouble like this in the past, it has usually been pretty cut and dry.

Thanks for the info on the PSU. If anyone can help me figure out how to get this GPU to be noticed, please let me know.

Thanks!

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

PCI obviously means a card in the PCI slot, and IGFX is the onboard, not sure about the others but I would guess the x16 slot is GFX0 so you probably want to select the option with GFX0 first (that's the order that the board will try and detect a GFX card in). Seems like as long as you don't have the last option selected that it would find the card before the internal GPU though.

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I do not have a card in the PCI Slot, just the PCI-e slot. ANd I changed it so it would look for the GFX0 first, and still nothing. DO I need to physically move the monitor cable before it boots up? (I will have to be fast to do that)

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Move the monitor cable where? You should set the bios to recognize the PCI-E slot first and then have the monitor plugged into the 465 when you restart, there should be no moving of the cable once it's plugged into the 465, if the 465 is recognized it will start up using it regardless of whether you have a monitor plugged in or not, if it's still using the internal when you have it set to use the PCI-E x16 slot first than it means either the card is bad or the slot is bad or the card is not powered correctly.

lazerbrains

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

When you say "not powered correctly", would that mean that the 450 Watt PSU is not enough to power the card?