sabre00

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi there guys.

So basically I have a Dell Dimension 5150C that I use thanks to Acer's failed laptop hinges. I have upgraded the RAM from 712MB to 4GB, upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon Sapphire HD 4670 - yes I know, I didn't realise it doesn't fit - and am now looking to upgrade the CPU.

Currently, the CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 single core running at 3.00 Ghz. The socket number is 775 I believe. I am wanting to upgrade to a dual core or core 2 duo - can anybody explain the difference, if there is one? - but I am worried about the motherboard not accepting two cores. I have googled the issue and have found people with dual cores come out of the factory for the 5150c but I am a bit anxious as to whether these are newer revisions to mine.

Can anyone tell me if the Intel Pentium D 945 will run in this PC? And if not can you give a recommendation? Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry I cannot tell you more specific specifications as I cannot find the PC on Dell's UK site. Probably because it is so old ^^

sabre00

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Okay, thanks for the feedback. Would having an external fan pointing at the PC without the case on make you reconsider? As I can't put the case on anyway with the graphics card not being a half size one.

Don't think so. There are some dell 965 chipset boards that will run the e6400 and maybe even the q6600 quad. If you don't want to change boards, stick with the 805. Starmicro has it for $20 plus shipping, listed on pricewatch. I use craigslist alot for finding used boards and cpus; you might get lucky. If you've never changed out a motherboard, read some faqs on this and other websites. I've found some old used dell boards as low as $20, but be sure they're micro-btx to fit your case. Btx boards have the ports on the wrong side.

sabre00

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Okay well thanks very much for your help! I'll just get the 805 and I'm in the UK so Ebay seems like a viable option - £20 I think. 2.66GHz dual core won't be lacking considering I've been used to an i3 and a single core haha. :)