Solved

Dual Core or Quad Core, which do I need?

I am choosing between an i7 2620M and an i72630QM. The former is a dual core, 2.7 up to 3.4GHz. The latter is a quad core 2.2 up to 3.3GHz.

Basically, which would I be better off with (I plan on using a laptop for school which includes engineering software)

The laptop I plan on getting, with either of the two aforementioned Processors is a Dell XPS17 with a 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 8GB RAM, 3GB NVIDIA GeForce Graphics, 1080p resolution screen, BluRay player, and upgraded speakers.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual core quad core need
  1. Best answer
    collegestudent11 said:
    I am choosing between an i7 2620M and an i72630QM. The former is a dual core, 2.7 up to 3.4GHz. The latter is a quad core 2.2 up to 3.3GHz.

Basically, which would I be better off with (I plan on using a laptop for school which includes engineering software)

The laptop I plan on getting, with either of the two aforementioned Processors is a Dell XPS17 with a 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 8GB RAM, 3GB NVIDIA GeForce Graphics, 1080p resolution screen, BluRay player, and upgraded speakers.

it would mainly depend on if the engineering software your using can use 4 cores or not. Although i got hunch that it can.

If so, i would say for your usage if the software can use the 4 cores, the I7 2630QM will be more useful than than the higher ghz dual core 2620M.
  2. More cores generally equals more power, and the more power you have the better off you are. That's how I look at it. :)

But as warmon said, I'm gonna assume that your engineering software is well threaded (uses all cores), which will make it perform drastically faster on a quad core than a dual core processor.
  3. It depend on your price, if you can afford a quad than get it but i doubt that the engineering is ganna use 4 cores unless it's a 3D software like Adobe CS5.5 does...
    Is this your laptop? I'd get it because it seem pretty good choice tho...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200302&cm_re=Dell_XPS17-_-34-200-302-_-Product
  4. Best answer selected by collegestudent11.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core Dual Core Product