Help picking out a PSU for a new desktop with a GTX 460

hmbtnguy

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hi this is my first time building a computer and posting on these forums so I hope I did everything correctly!

Approximate Purchase Date: (this week)

Budget Range: (600-800)Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Video editing, gaming, general video watching)

Parts Not Required: (HDD, Optical Drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Amazon/newegg)

Country of Origin: (US)

Parts Preferences: (none)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1200)

Additional Comments:

As mentioned earlier this will be my first time building a desktop from scratch. After a few hours of research and looking through these forums, I have decided on these parts:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

The Mobo was mostly due to a combo deal where I get $40 off if I buy it with the RAM.

My main question is: what PSU should I get if I plan to get a Nvidia GTX 460. I will be mainly using this desktop to do some video editing and play a few games like StarCraft 2. Otherwise, are there any other tips or part suggestions you guys have? Thanks!

Solution
650W will be plenty for a system with two GTX 460s, so if you want that option then the Antec Truepower New Modular 650W 80Plus Bronze Modular or XFX 650W XXX Edition 80Plus Bronze Modular (there is also a grey fan version) are the best options below $100.
If you absolutely never want the option to add another then a good 500W PSU with two 6pin PCIe connectors would be ideal, altho like I said it limits upgrade options. I haven't checked prices in awhile but the Antec Earthwatts Green EA-500D 80Plus (doesn't come with a power cord) is usually around $60 and there aren't usually many better options. Altho the XFX is the same price after rebate so you might as well go for that if you want a PSU for ~$60.
650W will be plenty for a system with two GTX 460s, so if you want that option then the Antec Truepower New Modular 650W 80Plus Bronze Modular or XFX 650W XXX Edition 80Plus Bronze Modular (there is also a grey fan version) are the best options below $100.
If you absolutely never want the option to add another then a good 500W PSU with two 6pin PCIe connectors would be ideal, altho like I said it limits upgrade options. I haven't checked prices in awhile but the Antec Earthwatts Green EA-500D 80Plus (doesn't come with a power cord) is usually around $60 and there aren't usually many better options. Altho the XFX is the same price after rebate so you might as well go for that if you want a PSU for ~$60.

Solution

....and why exactly is it not a good idea?? When you get the adaptor in the box with your video card, it does not have a sticker on it that says "For temporary use only"!! LOL

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Because if your PSU doesn't have 4 pci-e cables it probably doesn't have the capacity to power them properly. I've read several video card reviews here on Tom's that suggest not using these adapters for that very reason.

If they weren't mean to be used, they wouldn't be included in the box with your video card.

While I certainly would recommend getting a psu with the required pci-e connectors, if your stuck with the psu you have already, I don't see any reason why you can't use the included adaptor.