Sign in with
Your question

AMD's Titan Vs. Nvidia's Beast

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2011 3:05:31 PM

okay, so im going to upgrade to a new GPU which is going to be either "AMD HD6970" or "Nvidia GTX570"

they both cost almost the same here where i live (i live in Dubai)

which one do u recommend guys and which one has better performance, i heard that Nvidia GTX570 is better with anti-aliasing while AMD HD6970 is better at higher resolutions and can maintain frame rates better (i mean higher minimum fps and more constant than nvidia)

i game at 1280x1024 with 8x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic, i expect to play most of the modern highly demanding games maxed out and looking forward to play battlefield 3

dont tell me that this low resolutions im playing at do not need that amount of muscle so go buy a cheaper card, what i want is to get a "50+ FPS min" in each and every modern game, and i mean 50+ fps MINIMUM not average,i hate sudden slow downs, and for me it is very VERY important to get a smooth constant fps above 50. ;) 

thanks

here is my current rig spec:
Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz
4GB ddr2 ram
mercury 750+ watts power supply

More about : amd titan nvidia beast

April 12, 2011 3:07:23 PM

At that resolution either of those cards is overkill...
a b À AMD
April 12, 2011 3:22:51 PM

not only are those cards overkill at that resolution, but the major bottleneck will be your CPU
Related resources
April 12, 2011 3:29:56 PM

Honestly, if you are set on those cards then I would just pick whichever card you are more brand loyal to. I think both will achieve what you are looking for. Personally I prefer NVIDIA, but if you don't have a preference, then go with whatever is cheapest.
April 12, 2011 4:32:57 PM

@ScrewySqrl are u serious !!!!! dude, this is a q9550 core 2 quad overclocked to 3.4Ghz, NO WAY this cpu is a bottleneck, i know its old but it is still a beast, and my load temps are below 50C so i can easily overclock it ;) 

@headshotpunk maybe ur right, well maybe ill go for the HD6970 then, as im more loyal to radeon, also it has lower power usage and lower temps, plus the fact that im upgrading my moniter in the near future so im going to play using higher resolutions, and there the 6970 has an absolute advantage over the gtx570 :) 

here is how much those cards cost in Dubai:
HD6970 = 410$
GTX 570 = 400$

there is not much difference thats why i was so confused between them, btw how much does those cards cost where u live ?
a b À AMD
April 12, 2011 6:36:12 PM

Both run about $70 cheaper in the US.

However, you'll NEVER utilize them to full capacity on a mere 1280x1024 screen. I'd suggest a new Monitor as well
April 12, 2011 7:25:40 PM

Either card will put you well over 60FPS, which is the max your monitor is able to display (unless it's a CRT).

You'll be CPU bottlenecked simply because your GPU are gonna be sitting around not doing much at that res. However, since you're above 60 FPS anyway, more performance doesn't actually do anything anyway.

Hence, it's a pointless buy either card since you're effectively wasting your money at that resolution.

Both those cards are for 1080p gaming.

April 12, 2011 8:12:06 PM

He did mention that he would be upgrading to a new monitor in the near future. Like I said earlier, if you are set on one of those cards then do it. They should last you several years of gaming and you should get the performance you want out of them.
April 12, 2011 8:22:30 PM

@banthracis
@ScrewySqrl

the monitor is coming hopefully within the next month or so but im so eager to get this card now, i cant wait for another month
and actually my current monitor is an lcd but it can support up to 75FPS

btw hd6950 here costs around 385$ and the hd6870 costs around 360$
so as u can see the differences in prices here are minimal, if it is only 50 dollars between the highest end and the midrange card why dont i take the best card, and believe me 50 dollars is nothing here in Dubai, it can barely take u for a dinner and a cinema and thats it 50$ is finished :p 

i hope every body understands why im insisting on getting a high end card even while using low resolutions, and there is nothing to lose by buying a high end card, higher end cards have longer life spans before they become obsolete and need an upgrade, right ;)  ?
April 12, 2011 8:38:42 PM

It's fine... I understand completely. Alright, so even if you would buy a cheap card right now, what happens when you DO get your monitor? Then you'll have one old monitor, one crappy card that won't do very well at 1080p, and a good monitor with nothing to run it off of. Lot of good that's gonna do you...

Anyway,
As has been said, I'd basically go for whichever brand you're more loyal to.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=306
They're basically the same card. I personally prefer nVidia, but both are good... I'm running two HD 5770's right now.

Just my $0.02.

:D 
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 8:45:17 PM

From a performance point of view, they are comparable. Do not anguish over minor differences.

Look at the coolers on the cards. I would prefer a direct exhaust type cooler that sends the hot gpu air out the back of the case. Some coolers do a good job of getting heat off of the gpu die, and show up well in open testbed tests. But... in a case, they recirculate the heat which raises both the cpu and the gpu temperatures.

To verify that a graphics card upgrade will accomplish what you want, run this test:
Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
April 12, 2011 8:51:37 PM

@someguynamedmatt thanks for ur nice comment and for the absolutely awesome link u provided
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 9:02:36 PM

Go with the 6970, game, be happy.
April 12, 2011 9:10:51 PM

@geofelt
well, i leave the case opened and well ventilated most of the time, i dont think it will have much of an effect. :) 
April 12, 2011 9:59:53 PM

...or you could go with the 6950 now and, when your fps goes down, you can flash the bios later to obtain 6970
April 12, 2011 11:31:46 PM

soudi said:
@geofelt
well, i leave the case opened and well ventilated most of the time, i dont think it will have much of an effect. :) 

I'm pretty sure cases are designed to create an air flow funnel that moves air across the cards - you're defeating this when you leave it open. Unless you have a big ol' honking box fan blowing right in to the side of the case, you're shooting yourself in the foot.
April 13, 2011 8:08:11 AM

@au_equus
if u noticed my previous post there is only 25$ difference between 6970 and 6950(here in dubai), so why bother buying 6950 and take a great risk flashing the bios, i know many people bricked there gpus and even motherboards while trying to flash the bios, i hate it

@Taylor422
i have tried to record the pc temps with case opened and closed, and it is better to leave it opened, temps drop by 4-5 C when i leave my case opened, and here in my room i have an a/c working 24hours and room temps are never more than 20-22C, so dont worry im not shooting myself ;) 
a b À AMD
April 13, 2011 1:01:28 PM

sounds like your current case doesn't have good airflow then
April 13, 2011 2:32:01 PM

well good for you, here's something taken off of this website from their $1000 build in regards to the 6950:

"This is reason enough to justify our choice, but there’s more: the Radeon HD 6950 uses the same Cayman GPU that’s in the Radeon HD 6970, and these cards have an extremely high success rate of enabling the full 1536 streaming processors with a simple BIOS mod.

Almost as if to help us out, AMD was kind enough to include a BIOS backup switch on the Radeon HD 6900-series cards, a feature that makes it nearly impossible to brick the card with a bad BIOS flash."

btw, the real titans are the AMD HD6990 and Nvidia GTX590. in regards to mythology the 6970 is more like a demigod
April 13, 2011 3:21:25 PM

Au_equus said:
well good for you, here's something taken off of this website from their $1000 build in regards to the 6950:

"This is reason enough to justify our choice, but there’s more: the Radeon HD 6950 uses the same Cayman GPU that’s in the Radeon HD 6970, and these cards have an extremely high success rate of enabling the full 1536 streaming processors with a simple BIOS mod.

Almost as if to help us out, AMD was kind enough to include a BIOS backup switch on the Radeon HD 6900-series cards, a feature that makes it nearly impossible to brick the card with a bad BIOS flash."

btw, the real titans are the AMD HD6990 and Nvidia GTX590. in regards to mythology the 6970 is more like a demigod

i know that flashing 6950 is easy and i know that there is a bios backup but its just that i hate t play with the bios even if im sure itis completely safe, i dont know what to call it, maybe i have a bios phobia loooool

and yes indeed ur right, those cards u mentioned are the real titans :) 
!