Memory Timing

brookes118

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I was testing my memory using recently, using memtest86+ turns out one of my stick was bad. But I noticed that one of my channels not the other, registered a 6-6-6-20 latency when my ram is designed for 9-9-9-24 and is set to and shows that in the bios. I ran a 3dmark recently and it stated my memory speed as 600 something mhz rather than the 800 (1600 ddr3) it is designed and set for.

The latency was listed correctly when testing in the other channel and this occurred with both stick of memory.

Has anyone encountered this before and does it suggest something malfunctioning on my motherboard?

I should say the computer had some more serious issues recently which turned out to be a failed cpu, and during that time the bios was updated and flashed. this is within the last few weeks.

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Processor: I5-2500k
Memory: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance, currently running just the one, while waiting for rma on the other stick
Video Card: Nvidia gtx 560 ti
psu: Seasonic 850w Gold certified

nothing is overclocked

Solution
There's generally on of (2) two methods on Intel XMP or manually setting the RAM. Your RAM that you RMA'ed could have been fine IF the MOBO misread the encoded 'SPD' information of the stick which is another good reason not to use Defaults. /edit - NO LGA 1155 Defaults to anything >DDR3-1333.

DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | Stick1 | blank | Stick2 |
CPU: | ChA | ChA | ChB | ChB |

RAM:
DDR3-1600 CAS 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v ; verify with your model this is my assumption since you didn't post the kit.

XMP Method:
BIOS:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile 1
Save and Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 16 ; 16*100MHz = 1600MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
Channel...
There's generally on of (2) two methods on Intel XMP or manually setting the RAM. Your RAM that you RMA'ed could have been fine IF the MOBO misread the encoded 'SPD' information of the stick which is another good reason not to use Defaults. /edit - NO LGA 1155 Defaults to anything >DDR3-1333.

DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | Stick1 | blank | Stick2 |
CPU: | ChA | ChA | ChB | ChB |

RAM:
DDR3-1600 CAS 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v ; verify with your model this is my assumption since you didn't post the kit.

XMP Method:
BIOS:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile 1
Save and Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 16 ; 16*100MHz = 1600MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
Channel A/B Timing Settings /Enter
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9