Fusion Buldozer :o

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
AMD fusion APU's with bulldozer based cores I wonder what can be expected from this platform mainly is their anything we can get now that will be compatible?

And how will the platform perform? I can't find much but I think this subject deserves it's own thread :D

Solution

First of all, APU = CPU package with CPU cores and GPU cores. Bulldozer = CPU core microarchitecture. APUs can be and are made with several different CPU microarchitectures, and Bulldozer will be offered in APU and non-APU formats.

Bulldozer-based APUs will apparently work in Llano FM1 motherboards, and non-APU Bulldozers will work in Socket AM3+ desktop motherboards as well as Socket C32 and Socket G34 Opteron server motherboards. You can buy all of those...
Its likely to be for sale next year and its called Trinity. No one can tell you how it will perform and as far as I know there is total zero info on what graphics it will have. The recent bulldozer benchmarks are very good if they are real though.

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I did find out the Bulldozer core used in trinity APU's might lack any L3 cache. So from that statement we could assume it is going to be a watered down CPU.

These APU's are already out. The APU's and mobo's can be purchased at Newegg.com
:pfff: First I am not American and don't own a credit card but what you are saying is wrong.

1) Bulldozer based CPU is planned to be out this year (it does not have an integrated GPU).
2) Yes there are other fusion chips that have been released this year.
3) There has been no confirmation if Bulldozer APU's will use AM3+ socket or FMx socket (used by APU's now is FM1).

So everything sounds disappointing. Can anyone cheer me up? :(

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
sorry some of the terminology is not the official code names and all.

Trinity APU's will have processor cores based on bulldozer architecture. Just search fusion in the bulldozer thread and then you will understand that I am right.

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thank you. You are the first to actually be helpful :ange: . I guess we have to wait and see.

Thank you very much.

Sorry my crystall ball was not functioning yesterday so I was unable to answer your ridiculous question.

You can speculate all you want, but until it's released, nobody can answer your question with any accuracy whatsoever, only assumptions like above, which was so helpful to you.

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
It is under a year away (who knows if its going to be delayed) but I kinda want to catch this ball when it comes so why not try to learn about it in advance.

The amount of hope people have for bulldozer is immense and if is competitive what will a Bulldozer based APU hold. It would seem like serious business. All I kinda want to know is will they go all intel on the socket or release a compatible board now/soon.

No_xp_STRAT

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

First of all, APU = CPU package with CPU cores and GPU cores. Bulldozer = CPU core microarchitecture. APUs can be and are made with several different CPU microarchitectures, and Bulldozer will be offered in APU and non-APU formats.

Bulldozer-based APUs will apparently work in Llano FM1 motherboards, and non-APU Bulldozers will work in Socket AM3+ desktop motherboards as well as Socket C32 and Socket G34 Opteron server motherboards. You can buy all of those motherboards right now.

The leaked benchmarks of the first 4-module/8-core Bulldozers suggests performance competitive with Gulftowns and Sandy Bridge CPUs. However, leaked benchmarks can be on the mark or very far off it, so take it with a grain of salt. AMD typically holds its cards very, very close, so we won't see much of how a Bulldozer we know is 100% legit really performs until launch day.

There are currently two series of APUs- ones based on the low-power Bobcat core (Ontario/Zacate) and ones based on the K10/Stars core (Llano.) The Bulldozer-based "Orochi" units will be considerably different yet.

Maybe, maybe not. The "Stars" architecture performs pretty similarly with a 2 MB L3 and DDR2-1066 memory (Agena) and no L3 and DDR3-1333 memory (Propus). The full-house model with 6 MB of L3 and DDR3-1333 performs the best of all, but it's 5-10% faster clock for clock than the L3-less or DDR2-using models. That's a very small difference, truth to be told.

These APU's are already out. The APU's and mobo's can be purchased at Newegg.com
:pfff: First I am not American and don't own a credit card but what you are saying is wrong.

1) Bulldozer based CPU is planned to be out this year (it does not have an integrated GPU).
2) Yes there are other fusion chips that have been released this year.
3) There has been no confirmation if Bulldozer APU's will use AM3+ socket or FMx socket (used by APU's now is FM1).

So everything sounds disappointing. Can anyone cheer me up? :([/quotemsg][/quote]

Bulldozer-based CPUs will be released in Socket FM1, Socket AM3+, Socket C32, and Socket G34 forms, as well as in a notebook socket (S1g5?). The Socket AM3+, C32, and G34 units will not have integrated GPUs and will thus not be APUs. The FM1 and notebook versions will have an integrated GPU and will be APUs.

See my definition at the top of my reply. Some APUs are Bulldozers, but not all Bulldozers are APUs and not all APUs are Bulldozers.

Opterons will not be available in APU format at least for the upcoming Bulldozer v.1 generation that fits into Socket C32 and G34 motherboards. AMD made a big deal about Bulldozer-based units being drop-in compatible for C32 and G34 systems, and C32 and G34 are not APU-capable. Perhaps the next generation of Opterons (C2012, G2012) are APU-capable, but unless the APU is used as an FPU or other co-processor used to accelerate server applications, don't expect to see APU Opterons. Graphics are NOT important to servers; in fact most of them run without any sort of GPU or even a monitor attached. Like I said above, AMD is very secretive about future projects, so don't expect to hear a lot about their future platforms until fairly close to launch.

My guess is that the next generation of Opteron platform will use APU chips, but solely as a coprocessor. Think of an OpenCL/Stream/DirectX Compute Shader type of FPU/SIMD-heavy embarrassingly parallel number-crunching coprocessor. I also wouldn't doubt that AMD may also offer a version of the G2102-based chips as units without GPU cores for workloads where an extra 2-4 CPU cores would be more useful than GPU cores. AMD has been known to offer product variations based on requests from certain customers (Athlon 64 1500+ blade processor for HP, upcoming high-clocked 8-core Opteron 6200s for certain unnamed customers), so I wouldn't be surprised to see an APU-containing or APU-less CPU from them for the next generation of Opterons after the C32/G34 Bulldozers.

Solution

You are mixing Trinity and Bulldozer up. Bulldozer, AMDs next CPU set for AM3+ will be a CPU only. But Trinity will have a CPU based on the Nulldozer arch and a GPU, being a APU together and the successor to Llano which uses a Athlon II arch and a HD6K GPU.

Trinity should gain gfx wise with more gfx cores, and theyll be VLIW4 as well.
Also, as its cpu will be more powerful, it will also gain from this as well.

Also, thereve been rumors of higher clocks on the gfx as well, as well on the cpu
It should come in dual and quad cpu core with the gfx on chip