Nikon D70 or D100?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 17, 2005 10:04:15 PM

With the new rebates I can either of these cameras (D70 or D100) for a
$100 difference. Is there a reason that one is vastly superior to the
other? Which would you choose? Why?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BBFoto

More about : nikon d70 d100

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:49:22 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:04:15 GMT, BBFoto <bbfoto2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>With the new rebates I can either of these cameras (D70 or D100) for a
>$100 difference. Is there a reason that one is vastly superior to the
>other? Which would you choose? Why?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.

Because it's much newer, the D70 is technically superior in nearly
every way except for the following features that are missing (it
wasn't designed to be a pro camera).

D100 has Mirror Lockup & anti-shake mode.
D100 has faster continuous shoot mode.
D100 is heavier and feels nice to hold.
D100 has vertical grip capability from Nikon.
D100 has mechanical cable release.
D100 can use the older D-TTL flashes.
D100 has a proper pentaprism for a brighter viewfinder.

The D70 advantages over the D100 are too numerous to list but here are
the major ones:

D70 can Flash sync at 1/500th sec, compare to 1/180th on D100.
D70 130,000 pixel LCD vs D100's 118,000
D70 Max shutter at 1/8000th vs D100's 1/4000th
D70's buffer is bigger allowing it to maintain high fps for longer.
D70's images are slightly sharper due to a less aggressive AA filter.
D70 contains 2 years more developmental experience.

For most people, the D70 is the better choice, and is cheaper.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

The D70 definitely is better than the D100. Frankly, that the D100 continues
to sell for as much as it does when totally comparable models like the Canon
EOS 10D can now be had for $750 used, is totally beyond me. And I love
Nikons, but I still think it's ascinine.

LRH
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:49:17 AM

Thanks!

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:49:22 GMT, Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:04:15 GMT, BBFoto <bbfoto2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>With the new rebates I can either of these cameras (D70 or D100) for a
>>$100 difference. Is there a reason that one is vastly superior to the
>>other? Which would you choose? Why?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Because it's much newer, the D70 is technically superior in nearly
>every way except for the following features that are missing (it
>wasn't designed to be a pro camera).
>
>D100 has Mirror Lockup & anti-shake mode.
>D100 has faster continuous shoot mode.
>D100 is heavier and feels nice to hold.
>D100 has vertical grip capability from Nikon.
>D100 has mechanical cable release.
>D100 can use the older D-TTL flashes.
>D100 has a proper pentaprism for a brighter viewfinder.
>
>The D70 advantages over the D100 are too numerous to list but here are
>the major ones:
>
>D70 can Flash sync at 1/500th sec, compare to 1/180th on D100.
>D70 130,000 pixel LCD vs D100's 118,000
>D70 Max shutter at 1/8000th vs D100's 1/4000th
>D70's buffer is bigger allowing it to maintain high fps for longer.
>D70's images are slightly sharper due to a less aggressive AA filter.
>D70 contains 2 years more developmental experience.
>
>For most people, the D70 is the better choice, and is cheaper.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:55:19 PM

"BBFoto" <bbfoto2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> With the new rebates I can either of these cameras (D70 or D100) for
> $100 difference. Is there a reason that one is vastly superior to
the
> other? Which would you choose? Why?

They are in different classes. The D100 is prosumer, the D70 is
consumer. There is no mirror lock-up on the D70. The D70 lacks a Nikon
vertical grip, though there will soon be a slightly kludgy after-market
vertical grip available. OTOH, the D70 has numerous advantages over the
D100 as well, especially the maximum shutter speed.

I'm thinking that Nikon is soon going to release two new models, a D80
that will go up against the new Canon EOS-350D, and a D200 that will go
up against the Canon 20D (Nikon model numbers are hypothetical). Also,
Nikon is reportedly working feverishly on a full-frame CMOS sensor, so
they can have something to go up against the Canon EOS-1Ds, and EOS 1Ds
Mark II.

Look at the comparison table at "http://digitalslrinfo.com." I will
soon add some more columns, including maximum shutter speed, and usable
ISO range.

In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
the mirror lock-up.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:27:18 PM

> D100 has Mirror Lockup & anti-shake mode.

Where did you find this ?

-Michael
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:28:03 PM

> D100 has faster continuous shoot mode.

AFAIK: on the contrary: D70 has faster continuous shoot mode.

-Michael
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:30:53 PM

> D70's images are slightly sharper due to a less aggressive AA filter.

True, but that is why there are (very rarely) alializing problems.

Most important for me (we do have both):

The D70 shows a lot less noise when shooting with ISO > 800.

> For most people, the D70 is the better choice, and is cheaper.

TRUE !

-Michael
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:32:52 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:27:18 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>D100 has Mirror Lockup & anti-shake mode.

Here...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?prod...

"A D100 feature I really like is the brief, auto mirror lockup which
reduces camera vibration at slow shutter speeds."

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:28:03 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>> D100 has faster continuous shoot mode.
>
>AFAIK: on the contrary: D70 has faster continuous shoot mode.

I think we are both wrong.

The speeds are practically identical, with the D70 having more buffer
space (ie the D70 is faster starting at frame 7 in jpeg or frame 4 in
RAW, but before that, they are the same speed.)

Source:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page20.asp

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:30:53 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>> D70's images are slightly sharper due to a less aggressive AA filter.
>
>True, but that is why there are (very rarely) alializing problems.
>
>Most important for me (we do have both):
>
>The D70 shows a lot less noise when shooting with ISO > 800.

Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):

http://www.neatimage.com/

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

> "A D100 feature I really like is the brief, auto mirror lockup which
> reduces camera vibration at slow shutter speeds."

AH, it's supposed to be an automatic feature. That is why I don't find
it in the handbook. It would be surprising if they do not do this with
the D70. Here it might be even more important due to the less heavy body.

-Michael
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:12:56 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:12:55 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>> "A D100 feature I really like is the brief, auto mirror lockup which
>> reduces camera vibration at slow shutter speeds."
>>

>AH, it's supposed to be an automatic feature. That is why I don't find
>it in the handbook. It would be surprising if they do not do this with
>the D70. Here it might be even more important due to the less heavy body.

...I should have cut more out from that page, but the guy goes on to
say 'I leave that feature switched on all the time'.

I don't have a D100, but it's probably in the custom menu. Having this
on slows down the photo process, because the D100 brings the mirror
up, waits for everything to stop shaking and then takes the photo.

...having just typed that, I found a web page that states:

"A carryover from the D1 series, the Anti-Mirror-Shock Mode delays the
exposure until after the mirror shock subsides (intended times when
the camera is on a tripod). Set through the Custom Settings Menu, the
default setting exposes the image as soon as the shutter is released.
Activating Anti-Mirror-Shock exposes the image a fraction of a second
after the shutter is released, giving time for vibrations from the
mirror actuation to damp out before the shutter opens."

Source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND100/D10P.HTM

I know that the D70 doesn't do this because there is no way to switch
it on, and if it was on all the time, it couldn't maintain 3fps.
Firmware hacks may change this in the future, who knows.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

> Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):
>
> http://www.neatimage.com/

Thanks. I don't have PS, but I sometimes do use the stand alone version
of neatimage. It's a PITA to define the appropriate parameters but the
result can be smashing.

-Michael
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:15:32 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:15:31 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>> Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):
>>
>> http://www.neatimage.com/
>>

>Thanks. I don't have PS, but I sometimes do use the stand alone version
>of neatimage. It's a PITA to define the appropriate parameters but the
>result can be smashing.

Damn, my accuracy these last two days is appalling. It must be the
recent visits to the dentist have drilled my brain.

Neatimage is indeed standalone, and not a PS plugin as I presumed. As
far as I can see, it's not available as a plugin.

BTW, revist the website if you haven't been there for a while, they
have profiles now for all the major DSLRs available for download, and
I can see the D70 and D100 at various ISOs + RAW vs JPEG are there.

--
Owamanga!
February 19, 2005 12:18:12 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:06:55 GMT, Owamanga,
<news:r6mc11ddkg4nf3rda7jh7kkdo29eqvjsd8@4ax.com> wrote this:

> Neatimage is indeed standalone, and not a PS plugin as I presumed. As
> far as I can see, it's not available as a plugin.

The PS plugin is included in the standalone.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:26:52 AM

> In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
> the mirror lock-up.

In the manuals of both cameras there is a chapter on mirror lock-up.
Same is used for sensor cleaning.

If you want a pre-locked mirror motion as an anti-shake means for slow
shutter speeds there is nothing in the manuals of either camera.
Owamanga claims that the D100 does it automatically (I donut doubt he is
right) but who did a test if the D70 does not do it, too ?

-Michael
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:26:53 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:26:52 +0100, Michael Schnell
<mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com> wrote:

>> In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
>> the mirror lock-up.
>>

>In the manuals of both cameras there is a chapter on mirror lock-up.
>Same is used for sensor cleaning.

This is *only* for cleaning, you can't take pictures on the D70 (I
guess the D100 too) in this mode. Why not? Ask Nikon.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:18:12 +0000, Graham <fensman@gmx.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:06:55 GMT, Owamanga,
><news:r6mc11ddkg4nf3rda7jh7kkdo29eqvjsd8@4ax.com> wrote this:
>
>> Neatimage is indeed standalone, and not a PS plugin as I presumed. As
>> far as I can see, it's not available as a plugin.
>
>The PS plugin is included in the standalone.

See, I'm wrong again. I think I need a weekend.

....hmmm, beer....

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Thanks.

I finally found it in the Handbook:

Custom Setting 24: Anti-shock
Normally, the mirror is raised out of the way of
the CCD immediately before the shutter opens to
create an exposure. To minimize camera shake in
situations in which the least camera movement
can blur photographs (for example, microscope
photography), the exposure can be delayed until
after the vibrations created by the mirror being
raised have had a chance to subside.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:42:28 AM

No Anti-shock mode in the D70 handbook, indeed.

I suppose they easily could add this with a software update.

The D100 handbook states it should be useful only in very special
occasions as with microscope photography. Did anybody really found an
occasion when the lack of "anti-shock" mirror mode damaged a picture ?

-Michael
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:43:45 AM

> I can see the D70 and D100 at various ISOs + RAW vs JPEG are there.

Great hint ! thanks a lot !

-Michael
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:51:17 PM

Me, I think the D70 is just as "prosumer" as the D100 is, even if it
doesn't have mirror lockup. Build quality seems high on both, anyone
certainly has better built quality than the EOS300D (which I have).

I still think the price of the D100 is out of character with
reality--if not in comparision to the D70, certainly in comparision to
the Canon EOS 10D, which is actually a bit newer and in the same
"class" as the D100--and you can now get for $650-725 or so. Good
freaking luck finding a D100 that price, even as you can easily get a
10D for that price. Makes no sense at all.

LRH
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:31:19 PM

<larrytucaz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Me, I think the D70 is just as "prosumer" as the D100 is, even if it
> doesn't have mirror lockup. Build quality seems high on both, anyone
> certainly has better built quality than the EOS300D (which I have).

The lack of a vertical grip, and the lack of mirror lock-up, were
deliberate moves by Nikon to keep the D70 in the consumer class (above
the 300D to be sure), even though in many ways it's better than the
D100.

> I still think the price of the D100 is out of character with
> reality--if not in comparision to the D70, certainly in comparision
> the Canon EOS 10D, which is actually a bit newer and in the same
> "class" as the D100--and you can now get for $650-725 or so. Good
> freaking luck finding a D100 that price, even as you can easily get a
> 10D for that price. Makes no sense at all.

The 10D was in very high volume production, the D100 was not. Prices
often don't reflect realities of the market. Nikon can't drop the
bottom out of D100 pricing until they have a replacement for it.

While Nikon got a late start in digital SLRs, the D2x shows that they
are getting their act together. They need to refresh the D70 and D100,
and come out with something to compete in the true-professional space
(the D2x is more "semi-pro."
!