Compatible mobo for my new processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny radke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi guys.

Here's the thing, my cpu sucks. Got nice ram, nice GPU. But my CPU is like 2.6 Ghz.

I have a nice Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor laying around here, and I would install it if my mobo didn't suck as well, it's like 5-6 years old. Inspiron 531. Not compatible with that processor at all.

So, Basically, I need a new mobo compatible with my new processor, aswell as my GPU,PSU(might need a new one). In other words, practically a whole new machine
But, I have no idea which mobo to get.
Do I need a new computer case, or a new PSU too? (mine is 300W. Works fine with my radeon hd 6670, but I suppose i'll need more with the new mobo&processor.)

So, any suggestions on what to get?

This is basically my computer.

CPU: AMD athlon 64 X2 5000+
PSU: 300W
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
RAM: 3.5 GB(all in 4 slots. 1gb + 1gb + 1gb + 0.5gb)
Mobo: 0RY206 Dell Inspiron 531

Solution
The motherboard is more than enough and the processor is the best choice.
For this rig, you can get 2x2 GB DDR3, look for more than 1333 mhz, maybe 1600. If you can afford the extra price, get 2 pc x 4 GB, but try making it dual channel with 2 identical sticks of ram. Nothing these dayss needs more than 4 GB of ram, even if a game will eat as much as 2 GB during playtime, the system still has 2 GB left, which is more than enough.

Lordgene

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I would search for a decent priced AM2 socket motherboard on Amazon or Ebay. You will not be able to find any AM2 socket motherboards on newegg. Technically you can still run everything on that PSU but you will have stability issues. a 500 watt PSU (If you can find a 400-450 Watt) PSU then you are good to go.

A new computer case isn't needed as long your video card can fit your current case which it seems it does. PSU's don't change in size from 300 watt to 500 watt.

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Four sticks of ram is not nice - the quantity is good, but it has response issues, I bet. You can pair your MoBo with a decent proc of at least 2800+ x2 and you are good to go, no reason to upgrade the MoBo. I have an x2 240 CPU with 2x2 GB DDR3 and that should be good enough.

If you upgrade your MoBo, you need an AM3/+ one to future proof it with a high freq. proc. and you have to get DDR3 memory too.

You said you need a MoBo that will be compatible with your new processor - what new processor ? The Pentium 4 ? You need to get over it, it's on socket 478, old as my gra'ma is, so stick to your AM2 board.

You can either get:
a) new AM3/+ mobo with new DDR3 and keep your CPU (will be compatible); no visible performance boost except system response from DDR3 (not 4 sticks :) )
b) keep mobo and get new / better CPU - the higher the CPU the better your PC will perform, paired with lowering the memory stick you have,
c) lower the number of memory sticks you have - borrow some from a friend and see how it works out.

All in all, not the pentium 4 proc you got, not the AMD you got, not the memory you got. Those need to go.

johnny radke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions.

But I'm really looking foward to getting a 3.0ghz or higher processor.
And as you said, my mobo will only run a 2.8ghz.

So, lets say I get a AM3 with DDR3, what good new processor should I get? Preferably quadcore and over 3.0ghz.

johnny radke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155

How about that one?

You know, I'm not actually even sure what processor I have lying around, I know its intel and that it's 3.2ghz. But let me check

johnny radke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Look,
I just know that the other day I was trying to play assassin's creed 2 and the GPU would it run it fine, but my cpu.. not at all.

And I know it's the cpu because, Even though I had the graphics on minimum, It would still run the same as having them on maximum(choppy).

Same Happens with Saints Row 3. It runs fine on max graphics, indoors.. but then I go out and that's the end of it.

Hell, the graphics aren't even that good.

Other Fairly good graphic games will run fine on max, left4dead2 deux ex human revolution, batman arkham city, mass effect 3(well, kinda).

So I just need help getting what's necessary, so that muy guy won't run like a turtle on molasses each time I wanna go outside in SaintsRow3.

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Yes, indeed, you need at least dual core at 3 Ghz, be it AMD or Intel, I personally have both and I would suggest intel.
The i3 you mentioned is pretty good, if you pair it with dual channel, instead of getting 1 stick of 4 GB, consider 2x2 of the same type, will score higher in games. 2x2 DDR3 at 1333 scores 7.1 in Win7 (personal experience) but I don't remember one stick how high it scores, just that it's less.

If your new MoBo will have just 2 slots of ram, get 1 stick of 4 GB; if it's got 4 slots, get 2x2 (to have room for future upgrades.

Games like AMD though, check the prices.

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
The motherboard is more than enough and the processor is the best choice.
For this rig, you can get 2x2 GB DDR3, look for more than 1333 mhz, maybe 1600. If you can afford the extra price, get 2 pc x 4 GB, but try making it dual channel with 2 identical sticks of ram. Nothing these dayss needs more than 4 GB of ram, even if a game will eat as much as 2 GB during playtime, the system still has 2 GB left, which is more than enough.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.