6950 and 3 monitors

Kenjii

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hi guys,

So quick question/problem, I have a Saphire 6950 - took delivery of my 3 monitors this afternoon, I was to hook up 2x VGA with DVI adaptors and 1x HDMI. HDMI works fine, and one VGA/DVI adaptor works fine yet the 2nd doesn't (the bottom connection).

Any ideas ? it's not the cables, not the adapters. Been reading around and some say I will need to get a displayport adaptor ? I just don't understand why the 2nd DVI connection wouldn't work ?

Any help would be awesome.

Kenjii.

PS: I'm not using this for eyefinity, just 3 separate monitors.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The two DVI connectors are dual link, for use with monitors of larger resolutions that only one DVI connection cannot feed enough data to, thus two are used.

So one of them will work fine, however the other will be disabled as they cannot work independently.

Does the card have a DisplayPort output, or another output to use?

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
u r still hooking three monitors to one graphics card... so they not entirely separate?? xDD
ok...
ati cards can support up to 3 screens some cards up to 6 screens...
but to make use of the third screen u MUST plug it in the displayport either directly or through a adaptor...
MUSTTT!! :D

The main issue is that HDMI and DVI both output the same signal, the 6950 outputs natively to the Display Port type signal, and the card only has two converters to go from DP to HDMI/DVI so you can only run off 2 DVI or HDMI ports at a time, the third monitor MUST be plugged into the display port, you can use adapters to go from DP to what it takes in, but it must connect to the card using the Display Port.

TRENDING THREADS