Sign in with
Your question

DDR2 vs DDR3 in real terms

Last response: in Memory
March 21, 2012 9:31:33 PM

Evening Peeps

What is the real term benefits of DDR3 over DDR2.

Now i know that you can have higher speeds on DDR3, but what will i notice on normal use.

Benchmarking might be higher but is that really all?

More about : ddr2 ddr3 real terms

March 21, 2012 9:50:28 PM

Where would you have a choice of which to use?
March 22, 2012 12:12:45 PM

What i mean is

If i had two systems, both with the same spec and the only difference being the ram, what would i benefit in, in real terms with having DDR3 over DDR2.

Will i get better frame rates in games, Will the computer be more responsive, or is it barely noticable in real life use and only show up in benchmarking tests.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 22, 2012 12:18:02 PM

Barely noticable in real life use sadly.

Even RAM running on single or dual mode also barely makes a difference either. Unless your system is perfectly balanced. Usually the hard drive is the slowest one out there.
March 22, 2012 12:22:00 PM

Better frame rates in games? No, unless you were low on RAM
Will the computer be more responsive, a little, yes.
Barely noticeable? Depends on what you do.
Browse the web? No, or very little difference.
Number crunching? Yes.
CAD/CAM? Yes.
Graphical design? Yes a little bit.
a b } Memory
March 22, 2012 12:23:12 PM

Unless you are using a bandwidth starved IGP, your hypothetical system would have nearly identical performance regardless of the RAM type and speed.
While DDR 3 is capable of transferring data faster, it is also slower to respond (higher latency) which offsets the increased transfer speeds in many situations.
The real benefit of DDR3 is that it is lower power than DDR2 without sacrificing any performance.
March 22, 2012 12:25:06 PM

Really, what it comes down to is this: The main function of RAM is to keep the CPU busy. If the CPU isn't busy, then RAM is useless. If the CPU is constantly under heavy load then RAM speed will have the most useful effect. This will be number crunching type stuff like a database for example.

a c 146 } Memory
March 22, 2012 12:49:03 PM

What is it, some home work?
March 22, 2012 1:12:49 PM

memadmax said:
Really, what it comes down to is this: The main function of RAM is to keep the CPU busy. If the CPU isn't busy, then RAM is useless. If the CPU is constantly under heavy load then RAM speed will have the most useful effect. This will be number crunching type stuff like a database for example.

+1, I agree. It depends on your work load.
a c 347 } Memory
March 22, 2012 2:00:40 PM

Duh what?!

Comparing DDR vs DDR2 vs DDR3...etc is all about Peak Transfer Rates. DDR2 and DDR3 overlap with DDRx-800 and DDRx1066 (D~G JEDEC) and in that case are more less the same with the exception of their Interfaces.

Otherwise it's like asking what's the difference between any CPU e.g. Core 2 Duo E6850 vs i7-3960X, they both 'process', 64-bit, but that's about the extent of the similarities. If all you're doing is menial tasks (simple Office Applications, web browsing) then you'll barely notice the differences.

The differences are in more complex and demanding tasks then both the CPU and RAM plus other components make a significant difference in Processing Time.

DDR2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modul...
DDR3 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#JEDEC_standard_...
March 22, 2012 3:42:58 PM

Wow

Some good info there from everyone.

Defo answers my question.

Looks like I will be sticking with my present setup and just add another 2 x 2GB to it ( can get it for £40 ). Will save me buying a new mobo and new ram if the difference between them is small, especially for what I will be doing.

Thanks for all the imput.
March 22, 2012 6:54:13 PM

Well hold on a sec.
When you go to a newer motherboard that supports DDR3, then you are getting into a new CPU architecture.
The difference between the Core/Core2 cpu architecture(mostly DDR2) and the newer sandy architecture for the i3/i5/i7(mostly DDR3) series is immense.

But I guess it depends on what you are doing for starters.
March 22, 2012 8:09:38 PM

I have a phenom ii 965 on its way in the
June 1, 2013 6:57:51 AM

outlw6669 said:
Unless you are using a bandwidth starved IGP, your hypothetical system would have nearly identical performance regardless of the RAM type and speed.
While DDR 3 is capable of transferring data faster, it is also slower to respond (higher latency) which offsets the increased transfer speeds in many situations.
The real benefit of DDR3 is that it is lower power than DDR2 without sacrificing any performance.

What you say is inaccurate and bad advice.

What follows below is a comparison between two Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 systems, one my own and another belonging to someone else.

System No.1: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650, Asus P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45), 1070 MHz DDR2 (My system)
System No.2: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650, Asus Maximus Extreme (Intel X38), 1680 MHz DDR3.

As you can see, the difference is rather huge: DDR3 not only has got lower latency than DDR2, but it is also an enormous 20% faster in Memory Read Bandwidth!!!!

To be exact: The DDR3 system compared to my DDR2 system sports +2,463 MB/s of Read Speed (more), -73 MB/s of Write Speed (less), +229 MB/s of Copy Speed (more) AND -10.6 ns latency (less).

+2.5 GB/sec bandwidth alongwith 25% less latency is an enormous difference. You can be 100% sure that difference of this magnitude manifests itself in games and yields more/higher FPS when gaming at resolutions of 1920X1080 and ULTRA settings.

Back in 2008, +2.5 GB/sec bandwidth alongwith 25% less latency really didn't matter b/c nobody was gaming at 1080p and GPUs were years behind today's tech. These days however, +bandwidth and lower latency for older Core 2 Socket 775 Systems really does matter when playing modern games with a modern GPU because they yield better FPS. I have measured this myself using FRAPS.

To sum up: Higher memory performance and lower latency=more FPS when gaming at resolutions of 1920X1080 or greater and ULTRA settings for Core 2 Socket 775 systems.

Advice: If you have got a decent Core 2 CPU (Q9450, Q9550, Q9650, QX 9650, QX 9770) and you want to upgrade your motherboard for whatever reason, go for DDR3 and X48 or X38 motherboards. You will get more FPS and better performance when gaming at 1920X1080 ULTRA than an equivalent DDR2 based P45 or P35 system. Period.
=============================================================================
Edit: On top of everything else, Intel X48 based boards actually do support 16GB DDR3 memory.

Officially, Intel never endorsed support for 16GB DDR3 memory but unofficially overclockers have been sporting 16GB memory on X48 motherboards and it works.

On the other hand, systems like mine can only go up to 8GB of DDR2 memory although officially supporting 16GB DDR2 memory, b/c DDR2 16GB memory is extremely rare, slow, and very expensive.

So, suggesting to someone to get a DDR2 board and DDR2 RAM for gaming at this point is wrong (and stupid), and only makes sense for someone who just wants to get dirt cheap RAM and MOBO and is OK with slower performance and less RAM than they'd be able to get with DDR3.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1231879/x48-and-lga775-does-...
!