New Build Adive

dwright

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I am looking at building a moderate gaming computer for myself. I generally play MMOs but, darn it, I want the graphics as high as they can go with a good frame rate. So far this is what I'm looking at. I'd like some feedback as it has been about 10 years since I have built my own PC. Am I going a bit over board for my needs? What do you think?

Processor: i7-2600
MB: Asus P8H67-PRO (might want two vid cards in the future)
4GB DDR3-1333 ram
Video Card: Radeon 6850

Thanks

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
it would be great if you filled out the info on the new build sticky (your budget etc)

basically, the i5-2400 gives you the same performance as the i7-2600 in games (the i7's hyperthreading excels in workstation style apps) and costs $130 less on newegg at the moment. with the money you save, you can easily buy a significantly better graphics card like the hd6950.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.631830

once you decide on a budget and the parts you dont need, we can help you create a full build

dwright

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Sorry, I'm new to this forum. Here you go.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: I'd like to stay aroung $1,000 dollars or so but my main concern is that the system performs for the purpose below. The lower the number the more likely the CFO (wife) is to approve the budget.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. Primarily MMOs. I want to be able to run the graphics on there max settings.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, screen, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't really care. Just want the best deals.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel Processor.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe but not right away.

Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: For the case I am really just looking for something functional. I don't need any flashy gaming case.

TRENDING THREADS