Sign in with
Your question

New cpu cooler = new squeal

Last response: in Components
July 14, 2011 12:17:07 PM

I just installed a new thermaltake frio the other night and everything started out just fine, but now I am hearing a high pitched squealing sound and it seems to be coming from near where the cpu is located. Everything seems fine.. computer runs fine, temperatures are great. Strange thing is the noise goes away when I run Prime95. any idea?

asus p8z68-v pro
i5 2500k
thermaltake frio
antec high current pro 1200w

More about : cpu cooler squeal

a c 159 à CPUs
July 14, 2011 12:54:00 PM

Could be the power supply. I would turn the cpu fan speed down briefly using smartfan in the bios and see if the noise persists.
m
l
July 14, 2011 1:15:37 PM

Both the fans on it are manually controlled with dial knobs. Changing speeds has no effect on the noise. Just ran crysis2 and the noise stopped, alt tabbed back here and no noise... close the program and the noise returns with all its chirpy goodness.

could also be noted that the sound is only in windows, not in BIOS
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2011 12:52:10 PM

disabling the C3 and C6 reports in the BIOS stopped all the chirping sounds coming from around the CPU. Is it okay to have these two options disabled? or is there another way to fix this problem.
m
l
November 10, 2011 12:15:14 AM

synas said:
disabling the C3 and C6 reports in the BIOS stopped all the chirping sounds coming from around the CPU. Is it okay to have these two options disabled? or is there another way to fix this problem.

synas is any consequence on do this action of disabling c3 and c6 reports in BIOS, i have de same problem with that sound... but if ill disable c3 an c6 from bios is any problem with the os? what are the consequences???
m
l
November 10, 2011 3:20:31 AM

lonewolf87 said:
synas is any consequence on do this action of disabling c3 and c6 reports in BIOS, i have de same problem with that sound... but if ill disable c3 an c6 from bios is any problem with the os? what are the consequences???

4 months later now. haven't had any adverse effects that I can tell... but I'm no computer genius. everything is running fine.
m
l
!