Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XP doesn't have an option to change the resolution to 1600x900

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2011 11:44:05 AM

I brought a new new monitor for my computer DELL IN2020M (20 Inch) which has a native resolution of 1600x900. However, the problem is that when I try to select this resolution from XP display properties, I do not have an option to select this resolution and the picture is very bad.

I have a old system with AMD processor and ASUS - A7V266-MX motherboard, chipset used in the motherboard is VIA KM266. I have updated my display drivers to the latest one and still I do not have an option to select 1600x900 from XP display properties. Maximum resolution of my display card is 1600x1200 and hence I'm pretty sure that it will support 1600x900 and the VIA support forums also confirm this. I found from a VIA forum that this chipset will support 1600x900 resolution and to enable this the BIOS should be customized. After this, I have updated the BIOS of my mother board to version 3.0 but no success.

Could you guys help me with this? I have tried entering custom resolution through registry and also tried PowerStrip but no luck. I think only way to make this work is to change some BIOS settings or update the BIOS with a file that can support this resolution. Please help me....
a c 218 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 3:41:27 PM

Do you have the drivers for the monitor loaded? Also, what video card/GPU are you using?
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:03:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Do you have the drivers for the monitor loaded? Also, what video card/GPU are you using?

Thanks COLGeek!. Yes I have loaded the monitor driver. I'm using on-board video chip. The video chip is VIA KM266.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 218 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 4:13:21 PM

Understood. BTW, you definitely don't need to modify the BIOS for it to work (in fact, I don't think that is even a possibility in spite of what you may have read).

Did you get the video drivers from Asus or from Via?

You may need to go to the site below to get more current drivers:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
February 7, 2011 8:03:30 PM

yes, i tried the latest driver from VIA still not luck. Can I try to install a driver meant for any other VIA chip? something like a driver for a new VIA chip? Will that resolve the issue? Or is there something called universal drivers for display???
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 8:32:51 PM

That chip was not meant to support that resolution simply because it wasn't designed for a wide-screen resolution and thus the drivers shouldn't support it for that chip. If you want to properly support that resolution you're going to need a dedicated video card.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 8:42:03 PM

anoopvc said:
yes, i tried the latest driver from VIA still not luck. Can I try to install a driver meant for any other VIA chip? something like a driver for a new VIA chip? Will that resolve the issue? Or is there something called universal drivers for display???

Universal drivers (like forcing the Windows standard VGA driver) won't provide a very satisfying solution. Your mobo has an AGP slot, correct? Also, where are you physically located in the world?
m
l
February 8, 2011 4:05:52 AM

Hi Col....yup I have a AGP slot.
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 10:58:57 AM

I am sending you a private message.
m
l
February 15, 2011 2:43:28 AM