Is Asrock a good brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygasp

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I was looking for a motherboard for a i3-2120. I was planning to do some gaming on it so I wanted something that could handle a i5 later on, and possibly have dual pci slots for some kind of crossfire or SLI. (Which I might or might not use so it's not totally necessary.) I saw the ASRock H61ICAFE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1144ih7jn8vi4) but I only had 2 6gb SATA ports and 1 pci express slot. But I don't know if that would be a problem.
But I just saw a MSI H67A-G43(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616), which has 2 pci express x16 slots which looks really good for the same price with the rebate and has all the same features as the Asrock one and its a bigger name. But I don't know what to get for a board. So if you had any boards that you know of or use for the i-series that are around $100 or less that you would recommend please let me know. Also should I look for a board with higher ram clock speed, or shouldn't I worry about it to much? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

e56imfg

Distinguished
ASRock is a very good company. However, I would still go with the MSI mobo because the 2 PCI-e slots.

ASRock is no longer the daughter company of ASUS. ASRock has been working hard to outrun ASUS's mobos and some of their boards are doing so. No company has changed as much as ASRock in the last 5 years.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
Asrock is becoming a top tier board maker. I have had their boards for quite a few builds and had no issues. But the MSI board looks to be a better fit for your needs. I used to think Asus was the top board maker. I'm beginning to think Asrock and MSI are at least as good. The only boards I've had to return over the years has been Gigabytes. I think the MSI's 2 PCIe slots are both x16/x8, but I can't find any verification. At least they are the same color. That usually means full bandwidth.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

the MSI H67A-G43 has 1, x16 slot and 1, x4 slot....verified by MSI, btw. It's listed in the spec sheet on the MSI website. Look at the "Detailed" specs.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I did look at the "detailed" specs. Not listed. But you are correct, they are x16/x4 slots. The verification is actually in the "Basic" specs for some reason. That's why I missed it.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H67A-G43--B3-.html#?div=Basic
Thanks for the update.

In that case, I would have to recommend the OP passes on that board if he has any desire to use 2 cards in Xfire.

joeferral

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Asrock is a large company, but second class mb company. they might offer very fancy functions, better performance, but their quality is not that good. like my extreme 3 gen 3 board, so slim like a piece of paper. and i can not update uefi bois. in some sense, it really has very good c/p value.

cross your finger if you want to buy one. you might got one just prefect, also you might waste a lot of time, and finally got a nice one.

cowdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
As for durability, I still have a P4V88 I bought new several years ago. It has been through 3 processors and as many cases. My PSU died and it survived that too.
Aside from wanting to upgrade, the only problem I had was the north bridge fan header quit. Other than that it still runs fine. I upgraded to the 880GM-LE FX and it runs great. Until they stop making quality budget boards with lotsa bang for my buck I will continue to buy em.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I've been buying ASRock for the last 6 years. I've yet to experience even a single issue from the boards I've used. However, I have yet to receive a usable Asus, MSI or Gigabyte motherboard out of the dozens I've ordered.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Man, talk about lousy luck...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Yep, I sit and read every day about how great Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are.....yet, I can't seem to get a board from any of them that's actually useable. So, either my luck is just that bad....or it's common and those getting usable boards are just lucky as hell.

A local shop actually told me I was nuts after I returned the 3rd MSI motherboard in a week for the same reason. I offered to pay them for 4 boards + labor if they could install 1 MSI board and have it function properly. After clearing their entire stock trying to find 1 working board, they stopped carrying MSI products. Same shop stopped carrying Gigabyte after a rash of faulty boards resulted in a medical center losing all their computers.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Just to update this, he has been running this CPU gaming and powering a 44" HDTV to watch movies and has had no issues. WTG ASROCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.