New build that went wrong.

Jriz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Hey guys, been a long time reader and fan of this site for those in need of help with computer advise whether your a pro or a totally noob pc builder. Unfortunately i belong in the noob pc builder category >.< but hey gotta start somewhere right? I have a new pc that i built for the very first time. I purchased all the parts back in December and i just barely got done building it last month. I cant return the parts to the vendors since its pass the 30 day return policy. However i can still get a replacement from the manufacturers since its under warranty.

So heres my problem, I have done a lot of research and homework before i bought all the parts (please see below for specs). Everything worked fine for 3 days but then all of a sudden the computer randomely restarts and goes on a loop (kept restarting after bios). Its quite random whether im surfing the net, playing games or even just leaving it on. It wont even go to the Window 7 loading screen, now i have already done everything in the "troubleshooting" sticky. I have boiled it down to the motherboard being faulty or the power supply. Sometimes it will work fine however for a couple of hours but then it keeps randomely restarting.So what i found out to stop it from going into a loop was shutting it off completely and pressing the off button on the back of the power supply, but then after i turn it on sometimes it works but sometimes it doesnt. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks for reading and God Bless.

MeMory "Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9"
Electronics; $119.99

HARD DRIVE: "Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST31500341AS-Bare Drive"
Electronics; $59.99

POWER SUPPLY: "Cooler Master GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply RS750-ACAAE3-US"
Electronics; $89.99

CPU: "Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor BX80605I5760"
Electronics; $205.00

MOTHERBOARD:"ASUS Sabertooth 55i - LGA 1156 - Intel P55 - DDR3 - TUF Series - ATX Motherboard"
Electronics; $164.09

CPU COOLER:"Scythe Mugen Mugen 2 CPU Cooler - Processor cooler - ( Socket 478, Socket 754, Socket 940, Socket 775, Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket 1366 ) - aluminum with nickel plated copper base - 120 mm"
Personal Computers; $47.35

DVD/CD/BLURAY DRIVE: 1 "Samsung Blu-Ray Internal SATA Drive with Lightscribe SH-B083L/BSBP (Black)"
Electronics; $76.29

VIDEO CARD: Sapphire 100314SR Radeon HD 6970 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCIe, Dual mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI - Includes a HDMI 1.4 Cable
TigerDirect; $259.00

Solution
Sounds like a PSU issue. Could possibly be a corrupt OS installation or a crash corrupted the OS but I think that is unlikely. Could also be ram, use memtest to check ram. My money is on the psu though. When the mobo goes bad your computer usually fails to startup/post but it is not unheard or to have strange mobo problems, just unlikely.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Bummer, when I first got my gtx 260 I didn't realize it needed both PCIes >.> it would work until I would play games and then in the middle of playing it would shut my comp down and have trouble restarting. Was hoping someone else was as noobish as myself.

Do you have a different motherboard or psu to troubleshoot with? If you can put your psu into another computer to see if it works fine it would at least let you know its the mobo.

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Sounds like a PSU issue. Could possibly be a corrupt OS installation or a crash corrupted the OS but I think that is unlikely. Could also be ram, use memtest to check ram. My money is on the psu though. When the mobo goes bad your computer usually fails to startup/post but it is not unheard or to have strange mobo problems, just unlikely.

Solution