Won't turn on with 4pin cable

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hello guys this is my first post here.

Hello people My pc isn't turning on when I have a 4 pin atx cable connected into the motherboard with the 20 pin cable.When I press the power button The fans spin for 2 seconds then turn off.
But when I take the 4 pin cable out and leave the 20 pin cable in, the pc turns on normally but my monitor can't get any signal through VGA cable.

This all started after I had gotten a new 700W psu

Could anyone help me out please? thanks.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
The problem is I don't have my old power supply anymore :( I had gotten that power supply a few months ago but didn't u my pc till yesterday.

anymore solutions?

The 20+4pin plug has the 20pin and a seperate 4pin block, right next to each other,
these are the ones you are plugging in together yes?
you have plugged in the seperate 4/8pin cpu block near the cpu?
and wired up your frontpanel blocks correctly?
as Heny asked, model specs and any details you can think of that may shine light for us to help you :)
Moto

The last poster is making a good point. don't use the leftover 4 pin connector that can be broken off most 24 pin clusters; use the separate 4-8 pin lead which can be broken up into two sections, or used as one 8 pin connector on newer boards.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
My spec isn't that great previously I had a 500w supply which burnt out so it got replaced

I tried with some stuff removed like my gfx cArd and hdd and all DVD roms.

I really don't know how much my pc is hungry il write what il know about my specs.

Gfx card: nvidia geforce 7600gs

Processor: intel celeron D 3.1 ghz

And my board is quite old I got it replaced last year because it burnt out, I really ain't 100, all I see is, asrock fsb1066 presler Conroe motherboard, I think at least.

And my 20pin socket isn't next to my 4 pin socket.

My pc is wired properly I've checked all that

My psu is: alpine 700w silent power.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
My Vga cable is also new it's a logic lsvga310 cable, I had replaced that because my previous via cable had a bent pin.

Yes, looks to be the same one I linked, ok

make sure your mobo is mounted on the standoffs correctly (or if out of the case, on a bit of card)
Your psu, the big connector 20+4pin, slide off (if attached) the 4pin section and forget about it, the 20pin block, you know where that goes,
the 4pin socket up by the pink box at the top, is your cpu power socket, you will have a 4pin 12v line on your psu http://www.envizage.com/products/power-supplies-alpine/alpine700w-alpine-700w-quiet-silent-pc-power-supply-psu-black-red.html
that plug goes in that socket,
now either hook up the power button or short the pwr and gnd on your front panel header on the mobo, you should see life
if you dont have the 4pin plugged in, theres no power to the cpu, so nothing will happen other than fans kicking in
Moto

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

But my 4 pin 12w cable is already in that socket, which is the problem when I turn it on the fans spin for a millisecond then turn off .

Yup, at least now we know your putting the right plugs into the right sockets though,
As Heny points out, your pcie slot isn't compatible with a 16 lane card
have you tried putting it through the onboard graphics? does it work fine through that?
Moto

hehe np on the lil bro score,
ok, that extender you have on the 4pin cpu line, is the wiring EXACTLY the same from that as it is on the original plug? or do they cross around to different pins?
try and get the original 4pin from the cpu to the cpu socket with using the extender if you can, even if it means unscrewing the psu from the case, just to check

Moto

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I've tried it removing the motherboard from the case and not using the extender, unfortunately this problem is still an ass which I mean by still no luck :(

And the extender is the exact same one one that is from the CPU Line.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
About my card in the pcie slot not being compatible how come that card has worked for me for like 2 years now?

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Could you recommend me a good motherboard or should I get the same one? And btw about the shorting possibilities what do you mean by that?

The bare bones out of the case testing is what I also suggest. That's such an old board that bad caps could also be an issue. Those funky dual video/dual ram slot boards are sometimes more difficult to work with.