Sign in with
Your question

How to remove thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
July 14, 2011 1:35:22 PM

is it okay to remove thermal paste using spirit of ether.....plz help

More about : remove thermal paste

July 14, 2011 6:21:22 PM

You can remove thermal paste using rubbing alcohol or anything that is non-conductive. Any cloth that is non-conductive is usable to wipe it off, such as a coffee filter.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
July 14, 2011 6:57:54 PM

I use some used Bounce Fabric softener sheets to wipe it clean and then use the rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to make sure all the paste is clean off then wipe again with the another bounce sheet.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2011 9:38:29 PM

Isoproply alcohol over %70
not rubbing alcohol
rubbing alcohol is diluted with fragrances and menthol
for smell and soothing
Isoproply is cleaner
also can use coffee filters for wipe up
clean paper with no fragrance chemicals

remember that anything that can leave an oily residue
inlcuding your fingers can affect the cpu

also if the paste is dried on and cool on the CPU
then heat up with a hand held blow dryer

use an old credit card to scrape off thermal paste
(plastic wont damage CPU)
m
l
July 14, 2011 9:51:10 PM

Go to your closest pharmacy and ask for Isopropyl Alcohol bottle..the one I use is 90%...Been using it to clean the paste many times.

Encountered no problems.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
July 14, 2011 11:17:24 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
I use some used Bounce Fabric softener sheets to wipe it clean and then use the rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to make sure all the paste is clean off then wipe again with the another bounce sheet.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Bounce Fabric Softener sheets? Are you joking?

That's not a good idea, they're treated with fabric softener, that's probably why they're called Fabric Softener Sheets! :pfff: 
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
July 14, 2011 11:27:28 PM

Alcohol Prep Pads for site injections is what I normally use, they're 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and Sterile Water, they're the perfect size and very convenient.

If it's really bad you can use old school fingernail polish remover, which is Acetone and Distilled water, old school meaning it doesn't have a massive amount of additives, like Vitamin E, Fragrances, etc..

Use Q-tips to scrub tough areas with the Fingernail Polish Remover.

Finish with and Alcohol Prep Pad, and immediately dry with short spray of canned air which is normally co2, dries the alcohol instantly, and blows any loose fibers off.
m
l
July 15, 2011 1:56:44 AM

you can remove it through a certain piece of cotton with alcohol content... rub it slowly...
m
l
!