arunks

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hi All,

I am upgrading my OS from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit version). At the same time, i am also considering to upgrade some of my PC components. My current config is:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.00GHz
MB: Asus P5GC-MX/1333
RAM: 2 GB Transcend DDR II - 800MHz
HDD: 360 GB Seagate Barrcuda 7200 rpm
Optical Drive: Sony DVD Writer
Monitor: Philips (107 E5) 17" CRT monitor

I know this is an out-dated configuration and so i wanted to upgrade both my OS and some hardware components. I am planning to upgrade the monitor to Benq G2220 HD, Aver Media Super 009 TV tuner card and also would like to get a budget 512MB graphics card. I am not a GAMER! I use my PC for general day-to-day usage (browse/chat/MS Office & other multi tasks) and will be watching lots of ripped HD movies. So keeping this in mind, i would like to get some suggestion/recomendation on the same.

I have s question though, is 2GB of RAM enough for Windows 7? If not, is it possible to add one more 2GB DDR II RAM? Also the reason i am considering to buy a graphics card is that i believe it will boost/improve the performance when playing HD movies. If it doesn't, then i dont want to invest on the graphics card.

Please help me out!

arunks

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Thakns for the reply AznShinobi!

Oh yes, i forgot to mention about my budget. I am ready to spend around Rs.10000-15000 (It would be around $250). I am in Bangalore, India and the PC components are not as cheap as in the U.S. :non:

But as i mentioned before, though i play games i am not a serious gamer. So i believe the CPU/MB are enough for my day-to-day activities, correct me if i am wrong. I just want to upgrade to a nice HD monitor and add a graphics card which would allow me play some modern games and enhance HD video paly.

arunks

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Yes i am adding to the existing RAM. And to avoid any compatibility issues i am adding the same memory which i have now (Transcend DDR II 2gb @ 800 mhz).

Any thoughts on my selection of monitor? I've read lots of positive reviews about Benq G2220 HD. I have seen it live and feel it is a decent monitor under Rs.7000 ($140), however it lacks HDMI input. Benq G2420 HD is another one which i considered as it also has HDMI input but i haven't seen the monitor and don't know how it performs. Can anybody owning these give a feedback please??