First build (~$600-$700)

Dooce

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hello,

My PC died on me recently, but it was getting old and I was thinking of getting a new one anyways. I've never built my own, but I came on this site and have been reading various posts and articles, and it seems like the best value so I think I want to give it a try. Any parts suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week or so

Budget Range: 600-700, but somewhat flexible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers... I also have an Antec Earthwatts EA-500D 500w power supply, not sure if I can re-use this or if I will need a new one

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: I think I want at least an i5-2400 processor; besides that, I don't really have any preference with any other parts

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: not sure; I need to get a new monitor as well, so I wonder if anyone has a good suggestion for a good, reasonably priced monitor

Check out my siggy for 600$ build. You can forget about the power supply which saves you 60$, so in reality your really just getting to the total of 510$ or so. With that said, you just add another 70$ to get to the total of 600$ again since I have the i3 2100 in my siggy build, just add 70.

So you should just total to 600$ if you get what I mean.

Take advantage of this combo too!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.620215