Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 560 ti vs Radeon HD 6950 2GB vs GTX 480 1536MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 7, 2011 3:02:50 PM

Hey guys. I'm building a new gaming rig, and I was wondering which graphics card I should get. Right now I'm thinking one of those three. GTX 560 ti vs Radeon HD 6950 2GB vs GTX 480 1536MB. So if you could help me choose, I would appreciate. I'm gonna game at 1920x1080 resolution. My processor will either be i5-2400 or Phenom X4 955 BE. I know that the i5 is better, but it will depend on my budget which one I'm gonna get. So yeah, which card is the best?

Note: If you know any other cards which are even better, please tell me ;) 
February 8, 2011 12:38:43 PM

Similar price points, and different fan boys will tell your differently also. Performance will be similar. the Radeon card will likely use less power.... and the extra ram would be good for higher resolutions using AA.

If that is your price point, bang for buck I think would be the 6950. Also you can unlock it to be a 6970. :) 
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 1:08:28 PM

Your choice should factor in whether you have or plan to have games that make extensive use of PhysX or if you play some games that don't offer AA (or have weird side effects of normal AA).

Nvidia cards offer PhysX for games that support GPU accelerated PhysX.

ATI cards offer Morphological AA, which works on games which don't support AA, or even in games like Two Worlds 1 and 2 which cause some odd glowing effect around the edges of objects. It also supports SSAA officially (Nvidia has a 3rd party program that unlocks this, it doesn't appear to handle it exactly the same).
Related resources
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 5:15:08 PM

Don't get the GTX480. It is a great card, but the noise might be difficult to live with.

If you plan to overclock your card, the GTX560 will reach to GTX570 and HD6970 levels, yet remain very quiet and cool at the same time. The chart below is the starting point for a GTX560, which the Asus is typical of the factory overclocked models that you are likely to find for sale. Yes, you can overclock the 6950, but gains in performance per clock added (scaling) are not as much as the GTX560. PhysX is a nice benefit if you play any PhysX enabled games.
February 8, 2011 6:00:48 PM

I will play all sorts of games like racing, first person shooter, RPG, RTS and so on. All kinds. And I would prefer a quiet card, too. As I understand the GTX 480 is loud, right? But from what I've seen, isnt the GTX 480 the best of all 3, too? I still can't make up my mind since you guys suggested different cards ;D I will overclock, if necessary to play the games on higher graphics.
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 6:17:39 PM

rapolitas said:
I will play all sorts of games like racing, first person shooter, RPG, RTS and so on. All kinds. And I would prefer a quiet card, too. As I understand the GTX 480 is loud, right? But from what I've seen, isnt the GTX 480 the best of all 3, too? I still can't make up my mind since you guys suggested different cards ;D I will overclock, if necessary to play the games on higher graphics.

If you can afford $350, a GTX570 is right around or just above GTX480 performance, but is updated with better architecture and much better noise and cooling. I used to have a GTX480, and just had to upgrade to a GTX580 when they came out due to the noise. The GTX 560/570/580 cards are really easy to live with and excellent performers.



"However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool. I have to admit that the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylu...

February 8, 2011 6:43:40 PM

17seconds said:
If you can afford $350, a GTX570 is right around or just above GTX480 performance, but is updated with better architecture and much better noise and cooling. I used to have a GTX480, and just had to upgrade to a GTX580 when they came out due to the noise. The GTX 560/570/580 cards are really easy to live with and excellent performers.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/O/B/228971/original/Batman%20PhysX%20Comparison.gif

"However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool. I have to admit that the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylu...


So basically the GTX480 is out of the picture. Now it's between HD6950 2GB, GTX560 ti and GTX570 1280MB.
Which one of those three is better? Does the GTX560 ti compare to the other 2?
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 6:49:16 PM

The chart on this page gives you an idea of the hierarchy. The GTX560 is $250. The 6950 is $275 - $300. The GTX570 is $350. If you are not afraid to overclock, then the GTX560 can match a GTX570 when overclocked. Of course, the GTX570 can overclock as well. If you can afford $350, then GTX570 all the way.
February 8, 2011 6:51:53 PM

cards will differ in performance but if you are looking for a future proof card for about 2years or so then go with 6950 as it has 2 gb for frame buffer and you can even game at 2560X1600 res. but 560 may not handle that I am an ATI fanboy but if you are going to game less than 2560 at 1920 res then 560ti will blow if it is overclocked.
February 8, 2011 6:53:12 PM

17seconds said:
The chart on this page gives you an idea of the hierarchy. The GTX560 is $250. The 6950 is $275 - $300. The GTX570 is $350. If you are not afraid to overclock, then the GTX560 can match a GTX570 when overclocked. Of course, the GTX570 can overclock as well. If you can afford $350, then GTX570 all the way.


I looked on the website where I'm buying and the GTX570 is a bit too expensive for me. So I should get the GTX560 ti instead of the HD6950? I am gonna be gaming at 1920x1080 anyway. So maybe I don't need the 2GB of RAM the 6950 has to offer? Plus, the GTX has PhysX. So I should get the GTX instead of the 6950?
February 8, 2011 6:57:56 PM

fshaharyar said:
cards will differ in performance but if you are looking for a future proof card for about 2years or so then go with 6950 as it has 2 gb for frame buffer and you can even game at 2560X1600 res. but 560 may not handle that I am an ATI fanboy but if you are going to game less than 2560 at 1920 res then 560ti will blow if it is overclocked.


I will game at 1920x1080. And I'm buying the monitor soon, so I don't think I'll be increasing my res in the near future. And if I will, I'll just go SLI with another card ;) 
February 8, 2011 7:47:28 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/293?vs=330

In the link you can see that the HD6950 is leading in basically all resolutions, not only the really high ones. The only games where GTX560 ti is better are Dirt2, Battleforge, HAWX and Civilisation 5. And Battlefield 2 they're pretty much equal. So I'm not so sure which one is actually better. Now I'm completely lost ;(
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 9, 2011 1:19:06 AM

rapolitas said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/293?vs=330

In the link you can see that the HD6950 is leading in basically all resolutions, not only the really high ones. The only games where GTX560 ti is better are Dirt2, Battleforge, HAWX and Civilisation 5. And Battlefield 2 they're pretty much equal. So I'm not so sure which one is actually better. Now I'm completely lost ;(

That's for the reference model GTX560 at 822 mhz. You actually would have a hard time finding one of those. Most GTX 560's are clocked around 900 mhz or more, the Gigabyte GTX560 SOC is clocked at 1000 mhz. It makes a big difference.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-gtx-560-ti-soc-r...
February 10, 2011 3:22:05 PM

17seconds said:
That's for the reference model GTX560 at 822 mhz. You actually would have a hard time finding one of those. Most GTX 560's are clocked around 900 mhz or more, the Gigabyte GTX560 SOC is clocked at 1000 mhz. It makes a big difference.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-gtx-560-ti-soc-r...


The site im getting it from has this info about the card (and its the only GTX560 ti available)
Technical data

* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (GF114)
* Manufacturing process: 40nm
* Maximum power consumption: 180W
* Interface: PCI Express 2.0
* Memory: 1024MB GDDR5
* GPU Clock Speed: 822MHz
* Shader Clock: 1644MHz
* Memory Clock: 4008MHz
* Memory Interface: 256 bit
* Stream Processors: 384
* Texture units: 64
* DirectX 11, Shader Model: 5.0
* Connectors: 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, mini-HDMI
* HDCP, NVIDIA SLI, PhysX, CUDA


So as I understand, that's the one used in the bench.


And for the HD6950 it has this:

Technical data

* GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Cayman Pro chip)
* Manufacturing process: 40nm
* Maximum power consumption: 200W / 20W (Load / Idle)
* Interface: PCI Express 2.0
Memory: 2048MB GDDR5
* GPU Clock Speed: 800MHz
* Memory Clock: 5000MHz
* Memory Interface: 256 bit
* Stream Processors: 1408
* Texture units: 88
* DirectX 11, Shader Model: 5
* Built-in 7.1 HD audio controller
* Connections: 1x DVI-I, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI (1.4), 2x mini-DisplayPort
* HDCP, ATI CrossFire, ATI Eyefinity


So which one is faster, now that you know the clock speeds?
February 10, 2011 4:58:01 PM

how much is the 560ti because if you go to amazon they have a twinfrozr for 250$ free shipping no tax 900mhz processor speed
February 10, 2011 6:06:03 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
how much is the 560ti because if you go to amazon they have a twinfrozr for 250$ free shipping no tax 900mhz processor speed



On the site I'm buying, the GTX560 ti is 256,00 €. Is it from amazon.com? Because currently I live in luxembourg.
February 10, 2011 6:33:34 PM
February 11, 2011 12:38:24 AM

Very interesting thread, I'm in the EXACT SAME BOAT. The two cards I was looking at were the GTX 560 SuperOverClock edition and a Radeon HD 6950.
Here's what it comes down for me:

You can take any 560 and OC to match 570 performance, and you can take a 6950 and OC to come close to 6970... however, you can unlock a 6950 to show near 6970 performance even without changing voltage by flashing the BIOS with that of a 6970. Then OC to your comfort level to hit what I feel is excellent bang for the buck. Especially when two hooked in on a CrossFireX capable motherboard will hit well over what GTX 580 could ever dream of doing alone. :na: 

Ultimately, I think that a 6950 unlocked and OCed will produce greater results than 560 OCed would.

Downer... a 6950 unlocked and OCed I read would hit high temps, upwards of 93 Celsius. I'll need to figure out cooling in a dual GPU setup.

Good luck and let me know what you decide!
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 1:30:38 AM

steve24 said:
Very interesting thread, I'm in the EXACT SAME BOAT. The two cards I was looking at were the GTX 560 SuperOverClock edition and a Radeon HD 6950.
Here's what it comes down for me:

You can take any 560 and OC to match 570 performance, and you can take a 6950 and OC to come close to 6970... however, you can unlock a 6950 to show near 6970 performance even without changing voltage by flashing the BIOS with that of a 6970. Then OC to your comfort level to hit what I feel is excellent bang for the buck. Especially when two hooked in on a CrossFireX capable motherboard will hit well over what GTX 580 could ever dream of doing alone. :na: 

Ultimately, I think that a 6950 unlocked and OCed will produce greater results than 560 OCed would.

Downer... a 6950 unlocked and OCed I read would hit high temps, upwards of 93 Celsius. I'll need to figure out cooling in a dual GPU setup.

Good luck and let me know what you decide!


I personally have an XFX 6950 flashed to a 6970, and it is OC'ed to 900MHZ. I operate at max of 75-80C (I just finished gaming for a while, and MSI Afterburner is showing I maxed out at 74C). My max fan percent was 40% during that same time. I'm not sure what conditions caused 93C, but I don't believe that is normal.
February 11, 2011 2:47:05 PM

i would personally wait until the 6950 1gb comes out the price should be around 260 USD but an oc'd 560 ti is up there with it
February 11, 2011 5:52:53 PM

Very nice answers. But also, the ti has physx, which improves the appearance a lot. And the ti is cheaper, too. (at least from the site im buying). So I'm still not so sure if the 9650 is that much better to sacrifice 50 more euro. Since I'm building the rig in a few weeks, I'm gonna be waiting for price changes and maybe the 9650 1 GB edition. But keep the suggestions coming guys, they're really helping me make up my mind! ;) 
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 11, 2011 7:05:02 PM

rapolitas said:
Very nice answers. But also, the ti has physx, which improves the appearance a lot. And the ti is cheaper, too. (at least from the site im buying). So I'm still not so sure if the 9650 is that much better to sacrifice 50 more euro. Since I'm building the rig in a few weeks, I'm gonna be waiting for price changes and maybe the 9650 1 GB edition. But keep the suggestions coming guys, they're really helping me make up my mind! ;) 


It only adds graphical effects if the game was built to use GPU accelerated PhysX. The improving visuals is a personal opinion, though I agree, most games with the ability look better with it on. Don't be mislead to believe it helps with all games, there are only about 20ish games that have this ability.

I also find ATI's MLAA improves visuals too. In fact, I have several games in which AA doesn't work on, but MLAA does, I have 2 games which support GPU accelerated PhysX, but only use it on 1 (I have an old card I use for a dedicated PhysX card).

You'll want to figure out if you have one of those 20ish games with GPU accelerated PhysX, as it's not all that common. Then figure out how important PhysX is in that game.
February 11, 2011 9:03:17 PM

bystander said:
It only adds graphical effects if the game was built to use GPU accelerated PhysX. The improving visuals is a personal opinion, though I agree, most games with the ability look better with it on. Don't be mislead to believe it helps with all games, there are only about 20ish games that have this ability.

I also find ATI's MLAA improves visuals too. In fact, I have several games in which AA doesn't work on, but MLAA does, I have 2 games which support GPU accelerated PhysX, but only use it on 1 (I have an old card I use for a dedicated PhysX card).

You'll want to figure out if you have one of those 20ish games with GPU accelerated PhysX, as it's not all that common. Then figure out how important PhysX is in that game.


Oh, I thought more games supported PhysX. Oh well then, that falls out. So then it's the HD6950, right? But which one should I get? The default one, or something from a different vendor?
February 12, 2011 9:23:36 AM

I still suggest the GTX 560 Ti. You will find that if you OC the graphics card, you will get a better performance then 6970 (at least in my MSI GTX 560 Ti) without exceeding 65C in temperature. Noise nearly can't be heard.
February 13, 2011 3:26:33 PM

I'm probably going with the GTX560 ti since it's cheaper which means i can get a better motherboard. But which ti??? http://www.amazon.de/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2...

Basically all of those listed are cheaper than the default one that is being offered in the site i'm buying. But there's so many of them, and I have no idea how they differ and which are better. Their price is almost the same, too. So help me choose one, guys!

Oh and how do I know that it's gonna be compatible with my system?
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 4:22:22 PM

MSI Twin Frozr or Gainward Golden Sample.
February 15, 2011 2:32:24 PM

Guys help! I'm getting the rig with Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE cpu. And on the site i'm buying, I could take the GTX560 ti. But I want the Twin Frozr from amazon.de since it costs less than the default one on the site and is faster. But I'm not sure about the compatibility. And one more question, will I be able to run SLI with a second GPU on that mobo? PLease answer ASAP!
a c 639 U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 4:27:21 PM

GTX 560 Twin Frozr will do well in that board, but you will not be able to do Nvidia SLI. Really, Intel and Nvidia is the way to go.
February 15, 2011 5:50:53 PM

17seconds said:
GTX 560 Twin Frozr will do well in that board, but you will not be able to do Nvidia SLI. Really, Intel and Nvidia is the way to go.


OK, thanks for the answer mate. So then, change of plans, I will go for the HD6950 instead. But then again, which one? http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C...

And will it be compatible with my system?
March 13, 2011 11:24:34 AM

Go for the XFX, it's the cheapest and yes it will be compatible. If physx is important, get a 2nd hand 9800Gt & run hybrid physx, works for me!
your mobo has 2 pciex slots, so it'll work.

Good luck.
March 16, 2011 12:48:13 PM

I'm currently in the same boat, i'm soo confused between the 6950 and the gtx560. I believe the 6950 is noticably faster on default clocks. u can overclock the gtx560 and flash the 6950 into 6970, however i'm not sure if my 500w OCZ PSU can handle the flashed 6950.
I put Physx into consideration but more importantly the superior tessilation capabilities of the gtx560. If we expect more DX11 games in the near future with greater use of tessilation, then the gtx560 will be more "future proof" ....
I'm leaning towards a 1000mghz gtx560 if i could find any, i don't live in the US and the availability of options isn't that great ...
March 16, 2011 3:41:18 PM

Tessalation is not such a big issue with the AMD 6xxx series and the latest drivers. I see it as the 6950 has more horsepower than the 560ti, they retail at 28$ difference in my country. For the extra 1gb of vram and the extra performance accross the board, I'd still go for the 6950.
The 560ti was aimed against the 6870, not the 6950.
Future proof would also tend toward the 2Gb card over the 1Gb, not just in tessalation.
AMD remains best bang for buck in my opinion.

I'm running 2 x 6870's in xfire with a 9800GT for hybrid physx & loving it. (Tessalation performance is better on the 68xx than the 69xx, go figure)
March 23, 2011 10:51:47 AM

I don't see the extra ram on the 6950 as any "future proof" element, the 1gb version is on bar with the 2gb version in 99.99% of cases. However I agree the 69xx series has more horsepower and appears to suffer less in higher resolutions that the entire 5xx line.
I understand the 69xx is better in tessilation than the 5xxx. However, they're far from the tessilation performance of Fermies according to HAWX 2
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 23, 2011 1:09:25 PM

Zen911 said:
I don't see the extra ram on the 6950 as any "future proof" element, the 1gb version is on bar with the 2gb version in 99.99% of cases. However I agree the 69xx series has more horsepower and appears to suffer less in higher resolutions that the entire 5xx line.
I understand the 69xx is better in tessilation than the 5xxx. However, they're far from the tessilation performance of Fermies according to HAWX 2


Are you saying you don't believe that they will start needing more RAM for higher visual quality in future games? For the last 10 years, they've continued to need more video RAM as time has progressed, I don't believe we have hit the limits yet. The question for me is why they will, not if they will start needing more RAM. I already know of a couple examples where 2GB's of ram helps me out at 1920x1200 in a very noticeable way.
April 1, 2011 1:43:24 PM

No, I'm saying that by the time a 1gb ram will bottleneck a chipset from operating to its full potential, the card will be in its final days anyways. I don't see the 2gb HD5870 has any advantage now over the 1gb version after a year and a half of its release. And that's on the same card, compare to another architecture (GTX 560 ti) and the point becomes even more irrelevant.

And please share with us any links of examples where the 2gbs ram help you out at 1920X1200 over the 1gbs radeon.
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2011 2:08:54 PM

actually it's not 99,99% same performance between them, cause 1GB version OCs better and also 2GB "bottlenecks chipset" *sometimes*

http://www.behardware.com/articles/818-10/report-geforc...
read, below is written that "strangely" 1GB version gets 10% gain over 2GB
and here
http://www.behardware.com/articles/818-20/report-geforc...
1GB has lower minimum FPS... means the 2GB still counts and it'll count even more on 2-3 screens

Quote:
As we saw before however, the Radeon HD 6950 1 GB is slightly up on the 2 GB model, except where its additional memory comes into play.


http://www.behardware.com/articles/818-21/report-geforc...
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2011 2:28:00 PM

lol tesselation power is better on the 6800 series vs the 5 series by a frame or two, really its the same card and the overall tesselation power still sucks imo.

OP: imo you cannot go wrong with a gtx 560/570

I got my gtx 570 for 304 AR (the PNY model) and it now has a nice overclock on it and runs nearly as fast as a 580 for 200 less... if you could find a similar deal that imo would be your best bet.

If you are not going higher res or multi monitor the 2 gb is going to make 0 difference to you 1 gig is all you need.

also batman aa's use of physX is awesome I love how the webs in crawl spaces collapse and pretty much every common thing you do in the game is more detailed, I love the explosive gel... what about Mirrors Edge, ive played it w/o physX but never with, im eager to try
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 12:09:41 PM

For me its very simple to decide: Nvidia can have physx, 3d and AA can be "tweaked".
I got a crossfire capable mobo and i went from 2 4850s in crossfire to GTX560 Ti, simply sice all physx is done now by gpu, i get my full 4 cores working smooth.
It wont be able to pull of any game max settings for the next 2 years, but in 2 years i probably have to chance my 775 socket anyway.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 3:54:03 PM

yeah lga 775 will need to be upgraded eventually but no doubt you have gotten some use out of it at least if that is what platform you are still running
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2011 8:50:04 AM

for a killer CPU id definitly go for the radeon. 2gb RAM ensures a good lifespan, and the Morphological AA is awsome sometimes.
Definitly NOT the gtx 480. First of all, yes "it is loud". Second its hot as a teenager in a room full of cheerleaders, and third, there is almost no way to get a good SLI system from it (will burn your house down if u try to, costs go to the roof in both energy requirements and price itself).

Dont forget that if the prices drop in the future u might get another 560 or 6950 and get a great performance (but here going with the radeon would be better since you still get the 2gb of ram).
May 24, 2011 10:38:43 AM

leelin said:
Tessalation is not such a big issue with the AMD 6xxx series and the latest drivers. I see it as the 6950 has more horsepower than the 560ti, they retail at 28$ difference in my country. For the extra 1gb of vram and the extra performance accross the board, I'd still go for the 6950.
The 560ti was aimed against the 6870, not the 6950.
Future proof would also tend toward the 2Gb card over the 1Gb, not just in tessalation.
AMD remains best bang for buck in my opinion.

I'm running 2 x 6870's in xfire with a 9800GT for hybrid physx & loving it. (Tessalation performance is better on the 68xx than the 69xx, go figure)


Yeah thats true but the 560Ti absolutely rapes the 6800 series and actually comfortably sits between the 6950 and the 6970 after a little overclocking, its amazing what nvidia have done with this things TPD.

However i have noticed that both Nvidia and AMD are heading over the the >1GB of VRAM side of the ball park which actually makes very little difference in 99.99% or games, and even in games that is does its minuscule and only really noticeable at ultra-high resolutions.

However if your gonna go AMD Anybody who is reading, go the 6950 and then Flash the Hacked BIOS and watch that sucker morph into a 6970 before your very eyes!

6950 to 6970 Bios Hack:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 8:48:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!