Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC for a good price? HELP!

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2011 4:26:09 AM

I have been looking for a good gaming PC for sometime now and I need help or your opinion if you think it is a good deal or that there are better PC's for cheaper. I want to be able to play games like RIFT, COD, Crysis 2 etc. on ultra high settings without lag. I dont know how to build a PC myself so I have been looking at cyberpower PC and I was wondering if you think this is the best desktop for the best deal. Remember I want to be able to play on ultra settings for the games. Here is a link to the website. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_P67_Confi... READ BELOW BEFORE CLICKING LINK

I dont know alot about gaming cumputers, does this rig have a good motherboard? Would I be able to overclock GPU or CPU? Whats better Windows 32-bit or 64-bit? I will be playing on the 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X226W 5ms (Viewable 21.5 inch) LCD (Black Color) w/ Built-in D-Sub & DVI Input [+159](on the website). Is it worth the money for FHD and will it slow down FPS? Is it worht the money to upgrade to the 500GB x 2 (1TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance? I have a 26" tv with HDMI ports can just play on the tv? (without too small resolution or too big for screen)

Just so you know I will be upgrading to the
- AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
- 500GB x 2 (1TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
- 22" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X226W 5ms (Viewable 21.5 inch) LCD (Black Color) w/ Built-in D-Sub & DVI Input

This will run about $1366
If you know of a better deal so I can play on ultra settings with no lag? Please let me know Thanks!

More about : gaming good price

April 13, 2011 5:09:33 AM

That's a pretty good deal without building your own. The only suggestion would be to get eSata 3 drives, if your motherboard will allow it. Also a SSD, wouldn't hurt. They are expensive though. The video card should handle a lot and your screen size won't slow hurt you graphically. When you start to get up to 40", that's when you start having trouble. I have an old 9800GTX and I edited video on a 46" Samsung 60HZ.

With your lag, you better have a solid connection. I would say at least 10mbps.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 13, 2011 4:46:02 PM

You did not state case, cpu, hsf, ram and mobo. I'd suggest the haf 912 for the case, the default hsf is fine, and 2gbx2 1600 ram if not 4gbx2. For cpu/mobo it depends are you going to OC or crossfire? You'd need to get a gigabyte ud4 for cf otherwise the ud3 is fine for single. Although the Asus P8P67 Pro is usually suggested on the forums here.

The gpu is good. The raid hdds will give better load times, thats really your decision if you want it. You want 64bit OS. The PSU is a mystery brand and is most likely low quality, Id suggest the Corsair CMPSU-750TX which will also be enough crossfire. You can play on that tv, do you know what resolution it is? The inches dont matter its the resolution that does. You could get a better monitor elsewhere for that price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Theres a 48hr sale on this one $165.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2011 6:26:15 PM

Well I didnt state any of those because I was going to go with the default items on the link I posted. I will post all of the specs below for you and you can tell me if this is a good deal. I dont know what crossfire means, is it so you can place 2 gpu's? If so I dont really want 2 I just want one where I can play RIFT, COD, Crysis 2 on ultra with good fps about 35+. I'm not looking to build a PC with 300fps on ultra. And I was thinking about OC the gpu but I dont think I will need it now, maybe sometime in the future when more advanced games come out but for now I just want a fps with at least 35+ on ultra. I would like better load times also that why I picked the 0 Raid. Does It really matter what kind of case I get? The mobo is where it confuses me, I dont really know what kind to get and Im only using one gpu maybe I will overclock it in the future but not now if it isnt needed. Does it really matter what brand of PSU I have? I will post all specs below. Oh and the tv I have is 1366x768 hd 720p. WHen I choose 500GB x 2 (1TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance, does that mean I have 1TB or 500GB?

Specs for $1207

Case: * Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display (Black Color with 200mm UV Blue LED Fan)

Internal USB Extension Module: None

Neon Light Upgrade: None

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

Noise Reduction Technology: None

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

Freebies: None

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

Cooling Fan: XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping]

Motherboard Expansion Card: None

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+348] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

Video Card 2: None

Video Card 3: None

Dedicated PHYSX Card: None

Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+14]

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-14] (500GB x 2 (1TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+40])

Data Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None

USB Flash Drive: None

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

3D Vision Glasses: None

LCD Monitor: None

2nd Monitor: None

3rd Monitor: None

Speakers: None

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Network Switch: None

Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

Mouse Pad: None

Gaming Gear: None

Extra Thermal Display: None

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None

External Wireless Network Card: None

Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None

Bluetooth: None

Flash Media Reader/Writer: None

Video Camera: None

Headset: None

Printer: None

Cable: None

Power Protection: None

Surge Protector: None

IEEE1394 Card: None

USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None

Office Suite: None

Games: None

Ultra Care Option: None

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:03:29 PM

That rig should easily let you play everything on Ultra on your television. It's not a bad price for a prebuilt (considering the warranty support) and has room for upgrades in the future.

Is the Xtreme gear liquid cooling similar to one of the ACL domino or Corsair prebuilt coolers? If it is I think you'd be better off with a traditional, high quality air cooler if it's an option. Generally liquid cooling needs to be custom built to be worth it and then it's only an advantage to those who are serious overclockers who are also going to liquid cool their gpus with large, external radiators (there's no need to overclock the system your buying--you won't get higher framerates). Plus, prebuilt liquid coolers aren't usually more efficient or quieter than a traditional air cooler becuase they have small radiators.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 13, 2011 10:33:55 PM

Ya the default LC is like the corsair or asetek, but the deal they have makes it a good choice.

The case helps keeps things cool, the haf 912 is one of the best low priced cases, only $6 more than the default apevia (which looks ugly too, imo).

You don't want to go cheap on a PSU, since if it goes out, it could take out your whole system. Low quality PSUs usually don't even provide the power that's stated and low quality components have a higher chance of going out. The 650W corsair would be good but the site gives a warning for some reason. The last link on this post shows power consumption of a similar system.

Crossfire is multi ati graphics card. Since you're only going with one, the gigabyte ud3 is fine, and has the option to OC if you want to later. I know it says crossfire on the site but the other slot its only a x4 so its not a good idea to crossfire on it.

When you raid 0 500gbx2 hdds, it'll show as one 1tb hdd.

For ram, just an fyi, you're filling up all 4 slots, probably doesn't matter to you.

The 6970 is an overkill on that resolution. The 6950 would be a better price/performance, and still gets 35+ fps at 1080p if you choose to upgrade monitor. It could also be flashed to a 6970. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-performanc...

Similar build to the $1000 build. Just to show that you could save a couple hundred building it yourself and give you some idea of the performance you'll get. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlo...

Edit: promo code "NORUSH" gets 5% off
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 13, 2011 10:38:08 PM

Skip the RAID-0. If either drive fails, you lose everything, and the speed increase is nothing compared to a SSD. Get just one drive for now, and save your pennies towards an 80-128GB SSD later.
I play MMO/RPG type games, and couldn't see spending another $350 on a video card; but then I haven't tried Rift yet. Even my GTX560Ti seems a little overkill; I had Guild Wars maxed at 1920x1080 with a HD5770. I bought it hoping it would last for years though.
That PSU is an unknown, therefor I wouldn't trust it. Corsair PSUs are known to be good, across the board.
The one Apevia case I ever bought was so flimsy and had such quality issues that despite an otherwise excellent design, I ended up junking it.
Other places to save money include dropping back to 4GB of RAM, and if not overclocking, get the i5-2500 or even i5-2400.
m
l
April 13, 2011 11:40:34 PM

And is What do you mean by overkill? And I have no idea how to build a desktop, if its hard, do I need certain tools, can I mess something up and fry the whole system? If I could I would build my own desktop and it would save me a lot of money but I don't know how to do it! And is it bad that I'm filling up all four spots for ram?
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:12:32 AM

What about parts? What is the 3 most iportant things I need to keep in mind for. Lik gpu,cpu,ram, motherboard. I don't even know where to begin. And I would like to play on ultra with no lag
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:22:13 AM

please look at your private messages
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2011 1:50:25 AM
April 14, 2011 1:58:00 AM

Best answer selected by b-dub92.
m
l
April 14, 2011 1:59:24 AM

Thanks for helping everyone. I geuss I will probably end up building my own pc since its a lot cheaper. If anyone else has better options or advice pleas tell! :) 
m
l
April 14, 2011 2:01:53 AM

oh and I forgot to mention k1114 the guy from cyberpower pc said you need at least 800watts of psu for the hd 6970 and at least 750for the hd 6950
m
l
April 14, 2011 2:11:21 AM

i bet i can match your own build price if not beat it shipping included.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2011 3:06:44 AM

The cyberpower guy is stating a higher wattage to cover lower quality power supplies, even ati/amd/nvidia state a higher wattage psu for the same reason. Search this forum and I'm sure all the builds with a single 6950 and no intention of crossfire have a 650W psu. Here is the power consumption benchmark as well. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-unlo... It doesn't even go above 400w on an OC system but you leave extra power for overhead and capacitor aging. You can even check with this power supply calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine
m
l
April 14, 2011 3:18:09 AM

Thanks alot! Do you know how I would go about unlocking it to the 6970? I heard it increases performance up to 9%-14%.
m
l
April 14, 2011 3:26:00 AM

That you. Does this increase the power/heat?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2011 3:33:25 AM

Yes, theres even a chart in that article. On newegg, that is a good choice for a monitor.
m
l
April 14, 2011 3:40:32 AM

Do you know of a case that has a side-panel window and will still get good airflow, I like the cool master haf but I want a window so i can put green cold cathon lights in it
m
l
April 14, 2011 3:43:23 AM

And if I were to unlock the card to a 6970 would I need a better fan than the one you listed? Sorry about all the questions haha
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:03:26 AM

What is an ssd exactly and how will it boost my performance?
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:35:01 AM

solid state drive, reads and writes MUCH FASTER than a mechanical drive. will increase boot up time if os is installed on it and will startup programs that are installed on it faster too.
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:41:34 AM

I will build it, give you a full system warranty, 2 years tech support, oc the video card, oc the processor, Quality Test it and ship it to you for $1250.

it being your "best answer" build
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2011 4:43:50 AM

Its used like a hdd, you'd buy ~60gb version and install your OS on it and maybe a game or 2. Having the OS on it makes the OS feel more responsive as the flash memory has much faster seek times than a mechanical hdd. SSDs also have a much higher read/write speed which will help with load times. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Bdbeall, if you're trying to build PCs for a business, the least you could do is communicate professionally to perspective customers.
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:46:36 AM

ok i think im going to stick with the first case and might upgrade to an ssd...got any suggestions?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2011 4:49:17 AM

I did post links to suggestions.
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:55:03 AM

ok thanks guys, but I dont think I would need a 1tb HDD I think a 60gb ssd and a 500gb Hdd. I dont even know what i would put on a 1tb hdd its just too much! And how would I switch using hard drives. I mea how would i use one for games and use the other for storage(music,pictures,movies) etc.
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:57:44 AM

once you are in Windows, the 60 GB drive will be you "C:" Drive which is where your prgrams and games will default installing to, and you can put shortcuts in your my music, my documents, my videos etc folders on you C drive to point to folders on your second drive which will come up in your My Computer page as either D: E: or F: drive depending on how many disc drives you have. this way your computer knows where everything is, but it is stored on appropriate drives.
m
l
April 14, 2011 5:55:57 AM

Hey with the cool master storm scout people are saying that the hd 6950 is too big to fit in there.
m
l
!