Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard to run RAID 0 on 4 SSDs

Last response: in Motherboards
March 22, 2012 8:41:59 AM

Just wondering, i bought 4 Force 3 SSDs and I tried to connect it to my RAID card the IBM m1015 which was unsuccessful... any ideas what motherboard will support a raid mode 0 with 3 SATA 3 connections that support my intel i5 2500k CPU ?
a c 121 V Motherboard
March 22, 2012 2:57:24 PM

Any P67 or X68 based motherboard will support RAID-0 on the SATA3 (6GB/s) bus. You will have to set up the connectors in RAID mode, but they all support it.
March 23, 2012 1:20:09 PM

thanks for the reply... But my main question is anyone knows a motherboard that supports a raid 0 with FOUR SSDs? I have an Asus P8p67 but that only supports 2 x SSD for raid mode 0
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
March 23, 2012 1:28:57 PM

The reason your MB will only support "2 SSD's" is because there are only 2 SATA3 ports per controller. If you wanted to, you could use the SATA2 ports, and RAID all 4, or get a board with 4 SATA3 ports.

The easiest thing to do would to be grab a controller like this.

This is one I have been looking at, since the onboard controller on my board is a little lacking, and is on sale to boot!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Unfortunately due to the P67 / Z68 limitations the only other option would be the 4 SATA2 ports. When the new P7x and Z7x chipsets come out in a couple months that will support it on the board, but for now that's my recommendation (unless you want to go AMD that is :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 23, 2012 2:09:50 PM

IMO - I would never run more than 2 SSD's in RAID 0 off ANY MOBO, it's a huge accident waiting to happen.

Next, Intel (P67/Z68/etc) 'Intel RST' (2 SATA3 ports and 4 SATA2 ports limits) allows all of the SATA2 & SATA3 ports to be combined into one up to 6 drive array. I won't do it other than maybe RAID 10 and with mechanical HDDs. If you choose to ignore my suggestions that's cool then use the Intel SATA2 ports only. Frankly, even though RAID scales well the differences in RAID 0 on SATA2 vs SATA3 (with 4+ SSD's) aren't that much.

Marvell SATA3 ports, LGA 1155 or any MOBO, I think I recall an ASRock LGA 1155 with a x4 Marvell SATA3 ports, still a really bad idea. Marvell 912X (x1 PCIe) or Marvell 918X (x2 PCIe) shares bandwidth and is quite often 'Data Only' i.e. non-bootable, and the shared ports overall is considerably worst than the Intel 4x ports SATA2 bandwidth.

The IBM ServeRAID M1015 is primarily a Linux RAID Card. Yeah, I can see the Windows drivers -> http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?... If it were me I would look at either an LSI or Adaptec RAID Card with x8 PCIe, and with a battery backup for cached data. You also need to heed compatibility that's been published by the RAID Card manufacturer <or> proven Guinea Pigs that confirmed compatibility.

Most RAID Cards will not work in the 'primary' PCIe slot, and instead on LGA 1155 you're quite often 'stuck' with a PCIe x4 slot or in general the 'bottom' slot furthest from the CPU for 'booting.'
March 24, 2012 1:21:00 AM

sorry my bad... I am needing 4x SATA III connections on my motherboard... As of yet, I still haven't found anything
March 24, 2012 1:27:31 AM

Oh, also I am doing raids for fun... its not for any particular reason... I wanted to have 4 SATA 3 SSDs so I can boot games faster... but I can't even install windows on atm lol
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 24, 2012 1:33:52 PM

I was perfectly clear what you're looking for, so reread what I stated. Limits, Bandwidth, etc. ASRock offer the (Interface) 4xSATA3 with either ASMedia or Marvell, B-U-T they're shared PCIe x2 the Intel 4xSATA2 is FULL bandwidth and is a BETTER solution.

It's like a SATA3 (Interface) mechanical HDD, it adds zip to the real performance because the 'bottleneck' is the drives themselves with 1/2 of SATA2 speeds or 1/4 SATA3. Conversely, the ASMedia or Marvell are the 'bottleneck' on the bandwidth side of equation.

Therefore, from BOTH a Bandwidth and Stability/Reliability your best option is a x8 PCIe RAID Card as I stated above.

If you simply want to 'play' then use the x4 Intel RST SATA2 ports. Keep in mind, the 'real' SSD performance isn't like you see in ATTO or other sequential R/W's -- it's in the 4KB Random R/W so unless your SSD, which I know it isn't, is saturating 300MB/s (4KB Random R/W) then you'll have zip 'real world' loss.

If you want off the charts ATTO or other Benchmarks which means nearly zip then add a RAM Cache to the SSD(s).
March 31, 2012 8:45:31 PM

Thanks for the reply jaq... much appreciated... So would you recommend either:

HighPoint RocketRAID 640 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card

or

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA / SAS Controller Card

? Price wise, the 2720 is 1/3rd more expensive... would it be justifiable to pay that amount? I don't mind paying a little extra... In terms of performance, would I get the SATA 3 6GB/s speed if I paid for these cards and connected them into my 'secondary' PCIe slot since the first slot will be occupied by my GTX 570 ?

March 31, 2012 8:46:46 PM

Or would you recommend a motherboard + raid card setup ?
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 8:58:43 PM

The only RAID Card that I feel comfortable to recommend is the LSI MegaRAID SATA/SAS 9260-8i (KIT). Assuming you have a PCIe x8 slot available.

Further, with options (Battery Backup and FastPath) - http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/P...

Hey, RAID done right isn't cheap...
April 1, 2012 12:22:47 AM

That would be too expensive for me... I think my realistic options are the 2 cards above... Would it provide me with a SATA 3 speed when connected into the 2nd PCIe slot on my motherboard ?
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 1, 2012 12:29:47 AM

I'm not putting my stamp of approval on a HighPoint RAID Card, so get one and let me know how it turns-out :) 

For 'me' it's LSI, Adaptec or some Intel's and very few others.

I'd just run it off the SATA2, you've got 4x300MB/s vs 4x500MB/s or whatever your SSD's max-out to on some obscure mostly meaningless ATTO benchmark. Again, it's all about the 4KB R/W...
April 1, 2012 10:21:12 AM

So you recon that the SATA 2 and SATA 3 connections are not going to make a massive difference even though I have a SATA 3 capable connection in my HDD ? I'll buy the card later... But if you look at the specifications of the 2 alone, which one would you recommend? Would my 2nd PCIe slot be bottlenecking the speed for a SATA 3 if I placed one of those cards in ?
a c 716 V Motherboard
April 1, 2012 3:57:19 PM

Here's a decent video to watch, Linus has 8xSSD in RAID 0, the battery backup flushes i.e. completes it's writes (Linus simply seemed to 'forget') - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esh7lV5F6zc

A Decent RAID Card pays of itself, and bad RAID Card is a liability, and RAID 0 3xSSD on a MOBO is an accident waiting to happen. Don't Clear your CMOS.
!