SATA to Molex to 6pin PCIE?

gwlaw99

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I only have two free SATA power connectors so I was thinking of converting two of them to molex with an adaptor then plugging thme both into a Y adaptor that leads to a single 6 pin PCIE for a video card. Will this work? Do I need both SATA connectors or just one?

tecmo34

Administrator
Can you give a little more details on your PSU (Manufacturer, Model # & Wattage [link if you have one])?

I would be more incline to use the SATA connector with an adapter for your "Fans" and use actual Molex connectors for the the PCI-e adapters. I'm not a fan of using adapter on an adapter approach.

As tecmo34 already pointed out, it would be helpful if you could post the make and model of your power supply. I am wondering why your power supply does not have at least one 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI Express power connection.

EDIT - I just read your other thread. I think you heard wrong.

ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connector

600 Watt and two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode