I want OC but Temps too hot and IDK why!?!?

ZxinFrenzy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
So first off, I just built this computer around November last year and I am still very new... but am learning.
So my computer:
Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card
GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W Power Supply
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
2x Hanns•G HZ201HPB Black 20" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers

K, now what I want to do is OC my GPU, CPU and Mobo but it already seems the temps are running too hot as it is.
I don't really know the problem, most forums say my CPU and GPU are supposed to run hot but its too hot to OC imo :(
The temperature for my GPU, only running Word / Chrome = 0% load is at 80c. My CPU on Speedfan says that its running 77C.
These temperatures also probably have something to do with dual screen... but is there anything I can do to reduce temp
while still using my dual screen and OC??

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you very much ^_^

daniel508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
dont overclock your system first of all. if you are new, chances are something will go wrong.
secondly, quite simply, add more fans to the computer. have it set out in a way that moves hot air out faster. for example, have a fan on the back so that it pulls the hot air out. you do not want one bringing air into the computer because hot air is been blwon out by the PSU. have fans on the front taking air into the case and have a tunnel on the side of your computer case from your processor fan to the outside. also check the thermal compound on the processor. you should have much on there but you should have a thin layer on.