Screen resolution resets to low on start-up

ttim60

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hello,
I have installed a sapphire HD5450 video card with hdmi to my TV. With the hdmi cable installed, on system start-up the screen resolution on the PC LCD monitor resets to the lowest value with no adjustment available. When I unplug the hdmi cable I can then adjust the screen resolution and plug the hdmi cable back in and the screen resolution remains unchanged.
I have a MSI 890GXM-G65 mb, XP PRO

Seems like the video drivers aren't loading correctly when XP loads. The cheapest, quickest option would be to: 1 - download the latest drivers from the AMD.com site 2 - uninstall your video drivers 3- use driver sweeper and clean the ATI drivers from your system 4 - then install the new drivers. This might correct the situation.

I've had issues with my AMD (ATI) drivers every time I've added a card to my system. Re-installing the drivers has always seemed to remedy the issue.

ttim60

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
This problem is on a fresh install of XP with the latest drivers from ATI 11.1 andthe latest hdmi drivers.On my other drive I wsa using just the onboard video. The first install went well with video and hdmi working as it should. Then a virus.@#&! I reformatted and then had the issue in reverse of what I have now. The DVI cable had to unplugged on system start up or I got a message once the desk top should have appeared that no DVI signal was found. The same for a VGA signal. With just the hdmi cable plugged in, I waited long enough for the system to fully boot, then plugged in the DVI cable and everything worked.

I tried uninstalling the drivers in safe mode with revo uninstaller and then ran Drive Sweeper, reinstalled newest drivers with the same result.

I then switched to my second drive and here I am talking to you guys.

One other thing, on the second drive, the one I'm currently using, any changes I make with the color and contrast in the ccc do not affect the TV picture.

I also remember thinking it odd that in the log report after the driver installation the video device label was for the on board vidoe hd 4290 not the hd 5450 card.

I assumed the installation on a video card disabled the on board video automatically. The primary graphics adapter is set to pci-e.

I have a Sony 55" 720p TV. I have the PC screen resolution set to 1920 x 1080, and have cloned this to the TV in the ccc.

ttim60

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I got the drivers reinstalled on my first drive by:

1. uninstalling the drivers, running drive sweeper in safe mode
2. restarting and going into c\:windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL
3. opening each folder that had to do with ATI, opening the sub folder and deleting the file: 90ba9c70f846762e.

It took a while to do but now ccc works. I still have the same issue with the hdmi and dvi not working while both pluged in at startup. I could not get 2 .dll files deleted even in safe mode. One was atiievxx.dll, I'm not sure what the other one was named. I ran drive sweeper multple times, and tried to delete them maually but got the message "access denied the files were in use". Oddly the first I uninstalled the drives several days ago, drive sweeper got all the files deleted after several passes, but not this time.

I'm wondering if there is a setting in the ccc that I'm missing that would solve the hdmi and dvi conflict.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

ttim60

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I still get random resolution resets after the PC has been on for a while. In other words, at system start-up things are fine, then at some point the resolution on the PC will revert to the lowest setting. To get things to work again I have to unplug the hdmi cable, restart. Now the PC resolution is reset. Then I shut down and plug in the hdmi cable and everything works for a while.

One would think there is a conflict with the hdmi and video. I do have the latest drivers install and done correctly as far as I know. However, without the hdmi cable plugged in, I installed some screen savers and when I hit the apply button the resolution was borked again, a restart fixed it.

I may just have to reformat and hope things work then.

Oh, I did try pulling ram sticks out but saw no apparent improvement.

MSI suggested a bios update which I'm loath to do. I will reformat first, then update the bios if I still have the problem.

ttim60

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
So, I gave up on the video card and am using the onboard graphics which now work after the replacing the atidvag.dll file which twice caused a blue screen error. So long as the TV is not on when I boot up I can now have the hdmi cable connected and the resolution stays put.
I don't do any gaming so this solution works for me. I only bought the graphics card in an attempt to solve the problems I was having, thinking maybe a graphics card would work somehow differently than the onboard graphics.