Solved

CPU Upgrade From Core 2 Duo

So My Current Rig is:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 3.0 Ghz(OC)
Mobo: Asrock G31M-S R2.0
Ram; 2 GB DDR2-6400
GPU: Asus 6750 1 Gb DDR5

I Bought My GPU And Mobo Fairly recently. So My New mobo supports upto a 1600 mhz processor, and so i was thinking of upgrading to a Core 2 Quad Q8400, Which Are Cheap Enough Here. 9000 Rs = 180 $!

So would that give me a good performance gain? Or are there any other Processors From which i could benifit More! i Use the PC Mainly For Games And Movies And Some Word Processiong,Presentations Etc!

I Really Dnt want a new CPU + Mobo combo, because its been just 1 week since i bought this new Mobo and cant spent money on another one!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade core
  1. Stick with what you have.

There are few games that will use more than two cores, so a quad clocked lower(q8400=2.66) will probably not benefit you much.

Save your money, and save up for a sandy bridge based cpu.
    Your E4500 has a passmark performance number of 1274; more since your OC.
    The cheapest $80 G620 dual core is 2458.
  2. A Q8400 will be a decent upgrade from your existing processor. You would though require atleast another 2 gigs of memory for smoother gameplay.
  3. Best answer
    geofelt said:
    Stick with what you have.

There are few games that will use more than two cores, so a quad clocked lower(q8400=2.66) will probably not benefit you much.

Save your money, and save up for a sandy bridge based cpu.
    Your E4500 has a passmark performance number of 1274; more since your OC.
    The cheapest $80 G620 dual core is 2458.

My OCd E4500 at 2.93/1066fsb gets about a 2050 on passmark
    which is just a little below an E8400 @2200
    equal to a C2D E8335
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

so really in the C2D list you really cant get much better
    it would have to be a Core2Quad
    and they are not worth the money
    you can get a I3-2100 and mobo for almost the same as a higher end C2Q
    doesnt make sense

save up for SandyBridge build like geofelt said
  4. if you bought it recently, take it back to shop

you can pick up a core i3 2100 8gb ram and a 1155 motherboard for £210

(you can later upgrade to core i7 2600, the best gaming cpu)
  5. ^+1, its was silly to buy a 4 year old motherboard will poor upgrade choices.
  6. My Old Mobo Wasn't Working!
    So i needed a new one to make my current setup Run! I Guess am going to save up my money and upgrade to a sandybridge or the bulldozer series!
    Thanx for making me think the right way.. :-)

Or Maybe i will get a Phenom II X4 after the bulldozer releases, I mean Phenom Prices would drop a lot then!
  7. djabhi003 said:
    My Old Mobo Wasn't Working!
    So i needed a new one to make my current setup Run! I Guess am going to save up my money and upgrade to a sandybridge or the bulldozer series!
    Thanx for making me think the right way.. :-)

Or Maybe i will get a Phenom II X4 after the bulldozer releases, I mean Phenom Prices would drop a lot then!

Don't count on price drops.
    If bulldozer is a price performer winnner, that is what you will want.
    If bulldozer is just a multi core optimized cpu as I expect, then you will want sandy bridge or ivy bridge for gaming.
  8. Well If Bulldozer is just a multi core optimized cpu, then the better choice would be the Phenom X4 according to me!
  9. djabhi003 said:
    Well If Bulldozer is just a multi core optimized cpu, then the better choice would be the Phenom X4 according to me!

If your objective is gaming, then a sandy bridge of some sort is a better option.
    Read this article on sub $200 gaming cpu's:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859.html
  10. If you want to buy right now then Intel would be the best choice as we dont know weather or not bulldozer will be a flop and you will be taking your chances.
  11. Anyways, I decided to get The Core 2 Quad Q8400 For Now.. Will Overclock it to 3 or 3.2 If possible On A Coolermaster!
    That Should Keep My Rig At A Good Speed For 1 More Year Or Maybe Longer!
    By Then The Bulldozer will be out, the ivy bridge too... and there would be people who would have used them too...

Right now i have the money for the Q8400 as i did some project work for a friends studio! An Inexpensive, Yet Good Upgrade should i say!

When i will build a new Rig, i will anyhow have the money coz my parents would handle dat!(Am still at college so.. :D )! So saving the money isn't at all necessary!
  12. djabhi003 said:
    Anyways, I decided to get The Core 2 Quad Q8400 For Now.. Will Overclock it to 3 or 3.2 If possible On A Coolermaster!
    That Should Keep My Rig At A Good Speed For 1 More Year Or Maybe Longer!
    By Then The Bulldozer will be out, the ivy bridge too... and there would be people who would have used them too...

Right now i have the money for the Q8400 as i did some project work for a friends studio! An Inexpensive, Yet Good Upgrade should i say!

When i will build a new Rig, i will anyhow have the money coz my parents would handle dat!(Am still at college so.. :D )! So saving the money isn't at all necessary!

\
    Take the time togive us some feedback on how well the Q8400 works out.
  13. Ok guys... sure,. u do have the tyme.. :)
    i will be getting it only aftr am 100% sure
  14. Best answer selected by djabhi003.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core