Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming with hobbyist 3d modelling, animation and rendering

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2011 8:42:37 AM

I want to build a new system that I can use for 3 purposes: Playing games, game development, and possibly play around with 3ds max, maya and autocad inventor (I have a free subscription to these that I'd like to make use of)... I know that Maya normally requires a workstation card but I also know that consumer grade graphics cards have also been tested and work (although not supported or recommended). That being said, I am not against a workstation build, I am just not used to them and don't know whether they'd run normal games (since workstation cards are usually a tad slower and aimed at precision rather than power if I am not mistaken).

So what would you recommend?

Approximate Purchase Date: April 10- May 30

Budget Range: Approximately 1000-1500 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Game development, gaming, 3ds max, Maya, autocad inventor

Parts Not Required: Keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Other(s)

Country of Origin: USA (however, I may have to move to Turkey for work reasons so I am not sure whether I should buy in US and deal with the problems of warranty abroad in case of device failure)

Parts Preferences: Internationally recognized and international warranty coverage preferred (but not necessary)

Overclocking: Yes (possibly)

SLI or Crossfire: If required (but option for future should exist)

Monitor Resolution: Unsure Yet

Additional Comments: I want to be able to use this system for at least 3-4 years with upgrades along the way as necessary.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2011 4:54:56 PM

I believe workstation cards are out of your budget

Here is a nice build for you
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp...
It has
i7 2600K - The best! with hyperthreading for your Maya/CAD software
8Gb of G.skill DDR 1600 - For gaming and your CAD software
EVGA GTX 580 - For gaming and your CAD software
Asus P8P67 Pro mobo w/ SLI/Xfire support
Scythe Mugen 2100 CPU cooler - with this you can OC to 4.5Ghz without blinking
1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - Fast and reliable
HAF 922 Case w blue LEDs - there is a red version if you prefer
Corsair TX 850 watt PSU - enough power to add a second 580 later if you choose.
LiteOn DVD Burner

Grand Total of $1459 before shipping.

You could save $100 on processor by getting the i5 2500k which would give you the same gaming performance but not as good performance in autoCAD etc...
Two GTX 560 Tis would be faster than the single GTX 580 but your future upgrade potential is limited. Cost is about the same.
There are other cases that may suit your needs Antec 900 series is nice too.
You could probably get an SSD for your OS install if you went with the i5 2500k.

These are all quality parts and once you have them up and running should not give you any issues for years to come.
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:36:13 PM

pacioli said:
I believe workstation cards are out of your budget

Here is a nice build for you
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp...
It has
i7 2600K - The best! with hyperthreading for your Maya/CAD software
8Gb of G.skill DDR 1600 - For gaming and your CAD software
EVGA GTX 580 - For gaming and your CAD software
Asus P8P67 Pro mobo w/ SLI/Xfire support
Scythe Mugen 2100 CPU cooler - with this you can OC to 4.5Ghz without blinking
1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - Fast and reliable
HAF 922 Case w blue LEDs - there is a red version if you prefer
Corsair TX 850 watt PSU - enough power to add a second 580 later if you choose.
LiteOn DVD Burner

Grand Total of $1459 before shipping.

You could save $100 on processor by getting the i5 2500k which would give you the same gaming performance but not as good performance in autoCAD etc...
Two GTX 560 Tis would be faster than the single GTX 580 but your future upgrade potential is limited. Cost is about the same.
There are other cases that may suit your needs Antec 900 series is nice too.
You could probably get an SSD for your OS install if you went with the i5 2500k.

These are all quality parts and once you have them up and running should not give you any issues for years to come.

pacioli, I cannot seem to access the list from the link you have posted. I do know the processor and g cards on the list since you mentioned them. could you mention the other items as well?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2011 5:48:14 PM
June 16, 2011 8:48:22 AM

Thanks for the advice and help. sorry I couldn't get back sooner. I lost my job a few days after this post so buying this rig is no longer an option for me. I have been trying to find a new job so didn't have much time to get back to you on this. On another note, I hope you have recovered from your surgery and get well soon. I suspect this system will still be a current (and probably cheaper) by the time I can consider buying this again though, so this is an excellent post. Thank you.
m
l
June 16, 2011 8:48:58 AM

Best answer selected by dai_katana.
m
l
!