Cpu compatibility motherboard beyond manufacturer recommendation

surfinthetao

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hey everyone. I've been finding great answers on this forum for my most recent build so I had to get myself an account. I have a K9N6PGM2-V2 msi motherboard. Im upgrading from a dual core to quad. This motherboard has a 95w cpu limit. Well the fastest quad on msi's cpu compatible website is a 2.8ghz and I was going to settle for that. But, there's a 3.2gh quad thats 95 watts and want to try it. "AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOXW" What do ya'll think? Theres a barebones kit on tiger dir that has the 3.2 quad im mentioning with an msi board that DOES NOT have it listed as compatible on MSI's website either, so I'm thinking it will probably work with mine if it will work for this board. Also, although the 840 series isnt listed at all, ive found some 3.0ghz like the HDX925 but the last digits instead of ending in DGI on Neweggs site end in BOX for alot of them. I'm wondering if this is just an update but basically the same processor so should work. So a phenom ii 95 watt 3.0 deneb 945 will work in place of any other phenom ii 95 watt 3.0 denb 945 no matter the last few digits of the model number change? This is what I'm thinking.
Any thoughts?

The board that's in the bundle on tiger.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51.html#?div=CPUSupport