Computer slowdown all of a sudden

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue.

My computers been working fine the entire time until I came home from work yesterday and booted it up to find it took a very long time to start up and programs were failing to start up.

I honestly don't believe this is a virus as I haven't downloaded anything in the past few days and it's been working fine, fast load ups and everything smooth until I booted it up after work.

So far I've tried reinstalling the windows system files via the windows CD and it seems to have gotten a little bit better. Start ups are still very slow but it eventually speeds up although not to like what it was before.

The funny thing is, my CPU usage is hardly being used nor is any memory being used. I've got a high spec PC for gaming so I don't think it could be the components.

Any ideas? Thanks

sydney12345

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I got the same thing in the last couple of days, my computer takes 5 minutes to boot up, once going it works ok. I restored my system to the 4.4.11 and it got a little bit better. What is going on?

Try booting into safe mode. To do this, restart computer (if you're using it to view this) or turn it on. While the computer is booting up, repeatedly press the F8 key. This will take you to Advanced Boot Options. Use the down arrow to select safe mode.

Typically, malware will manifest itself in some form of rogue antivirus or antispyware program. If you see anything trying to scan your system, and you know you didn't install the program, you've got an infection. Clean up your system in safe mode. Note that some threats often require three to four scans to be completely removed.

If your system is infected, I recommend the following:

1. SUPERAntispyware
2. Malwarebytes Antimalware
3. CCleaner
4. Hijackthis
5. Spybot S&D

If the problem persists, and is not because of malicious software, check to see that all of your RAM is availble. Memtest86+ 4.2 is a great RAM test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts