I7 920 Running Hot!?

Hey guys. My i7 idles at 71 C, but the cores temps are : 57 C, 56 C, 52 C, 52 C. Yesterday while running Netflix my core temps jumped to 100 C each, while my processor temp was 68 C, and it shut off. So today I reseated my processor, and used Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease. Even after doing this, I am still getting high temps? I am using the Intel i7 stock cooler. Is there anything I could do to improve my situation besides buying a new heat-sink?
8 answers Last reply
More about running
  1. g4b3 said:
    Hey guys. My i7 idles at 71 C, but the cores temps are : 57 C, 56 C, 52 C, 52 C. Yesterday while running Netflix my core temps jumped to 100 C each, while my processor temp was 68 C, and it shut off. So today I reseated my processor, and used Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease. Even after doing this, I am still getting high temps? I am using the Intel i7 stock cooler. Is there anything I could do to improve my situation besides buying a new heat-sink?

Is this 920 O/C'ed? Did you ever change any of the voltages on it? Is the cpu fan actually spinning?
  2. if you overclocked it, reset to default.
    if not, update bios and see what happens.
  3. CoolBOBob1 said:
    Is this 920 O/C'ed? Did you ever change any of the voltages on it? Is the cpu fan actually spinning?

+1
    and do make sure the heatsink is installed firmly.
  4. No its not Oc'ed. And yes the heat-sink is installed firmly. On the voltage thing, I am running a crappy scrapped Dell mobo. All voltages and what not are locked in the bios.
  5. then try update your bios, it's probably just the messed up motherboard reading random temps.
  6. Lol, I have tried that. The bios updater crashes . . . I'll have to figure a way around it.
  7. try burn the bios onto a disk and boot from the disk.
  8. Eh. Dell only offers a .exe bios update. Not an image file . . . is there some way to boot with that?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Processors