Top 5 Graphics Processors for a laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 8:31:14 PM

I am planning on buying a laptop

Minimum Spec:
Pentium M 1.6 ghz
512 Ram
80 Gb Hdd
Dvd burner
15 inch screen

Now my problem is what graphics card should i go for? I am a bit out of
it these days and dont really know whats good out there. I can get the
above system with a 64 meg Radeon Mobility 9700 for $USD1100.

I want to be able to do everything with my laptop including playing
Counter Strike Source (HL2 Engine). My Desktop at home is quiet old but
still runs the game quiet well.

Desktop at home:
AMD1800XP
512 Ram
160gb
Radeon 9600XT

Anyway what i would really like to know is which ones do you think are
the top 5 graphics processors for laptops? And any feedback on using
laptop for gaming.

below is a list of graphic processors that i have compiled

ATI M6-P
ATI Mobility FIRE GL V3200
ATI MOBILITY FireGL 9000
ATI MOBILITY FireGL T2
ATI MOBILITY RADEON
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7000 IGP
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 IGP
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700
ATI MOBILITY RADEON IGP 345M
ATI MOBILITY RADEON IGP 350M
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600
ATI Mobility Radeon X700
ATI RADEON IGP 320M
ATI RADEON IGP 330M
ATI RADEON X700
ATI RAGE MOBILITY
Intel 852GM
Intel 852GME
Intel 855GM AGP 4X
Intel 855GME
Intel Extreme Graphics
Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900
NVIDIA GeForce 4 Go 420
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Go
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5100
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200
NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go
NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go
S3 Graphics, ProSavage 8
S3 Savage IX8+
S3 UniChrome
SiS M650
Trident CyberBlade XP2
UniChrome Pro IGP
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 2:11:13 PM

Gaz wrote:
> I am planning on buying a laptop
>
> Minimum Spec:
> Pentium M 1.6 ghz
> 512 Ram
> 80 Gb Hdd
> Dvd burner
> 15 inch screen
>
> Now my problem is what graphics card should i go for? I am a bit out of
> it these days and dont really know whats good out there. I can get the
> above system with a 64 meg Radeon Mobility 9700 for $USD1100.
>
> I want to be able to do everything with my laptop including playing
> Counter Strike Source (HL2 Engine). My Desktop at home is quiet old but
> still runs the game quiet well.
>
> Desktop at home:
> AMD1800XP
> 512 Ram
> 160gb
> Radeon 9600XT
>
> Anyway what i would really like to know is which ones do you think are
> the top 5 graphics processors for laptops? And any feedback on using
> laptop for gaming.
>
> below is a list of graphic processors that i have compiled
>
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7000 IGP
> ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 IGP
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON IGP 345M
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON IGP 350M
> ATI RADEON IGP 320M
> ATI RADEON IGP 330M

Shared memory chips, better to avoid them in favour of the ones below.

> ATI M6-P
> ATI RAGE MOBILITY
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200

> NVIDIA GeForce 4 Go 420
> NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go
> NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go
> NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5100
> NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Older generation chips - will run older games (such as warcraft III) ok,
but dont expect high framerates on any fast-paced game

> ATI Mobility FIRE GL V3200
> ATI MOBILITY FireGL 9000
> ATI MOBILITY FireGL T2

These are the OpenGL enhanced versions of the X600, 9000 and 9600 chips
respectively. They run at lower clock speeds for stability, so if you
use your laptop for gaming alone better get the standard versions. Plus,
these are usually on more expensive laptops (like the T4xp IBMs).

> NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Go
> NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600
> NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650
> NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700
> NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200

I havent had any experience with the NVidia mobile chips, so cannot help
you with this one. They should be relatively equivalent to their Ati
counterparts below.

> ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700
> ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600
> ATI Mobility Radeon X700
> ATI RADEON X700

These are your ATIs of choice for gaming. Anything above the 9600 should
run CS2 with excellent framerates, and I would recommend them. Mind you,
the X300 is not faster than the 9600/9700, so the latter are probably
better value for money atm.

> Intel 852GM
> Intel 852GME
> Intel 855GM AGP 4X
> Intel 855GME
These aren't gfx cards, they are chipsets that use the Intel Extreme(ly
slow) graphics chips

> Intel Extreme Graphics
> Intel Extreme Graphics 2
> Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900
Shared memory, avoid them if possible. The GMA900 is a substantial
improvement over the previous 2, but still not acceptable for FPS
gaming. For strategy games and such it is fine, though (and it is the
only DX9 compatible of these).

> S3 Graphics, ProSavage 8
> S3 Savage IX8+
> S3 UniChrome
> SiS M650
> Trident CyberBlade XP2
> UniChrome Pro IGP

These are older chips which you are not likely to find on a P-M laptop.
They are too slow for gaming anyway.

As it stands, the 9700 is a very good choice for gaming as it will not
break your budget while allowing for gaming at the same time (dont
expect huge framerates on Doom3, but everything else should run fine)

Hope this helps
Stavros
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 2:13:59 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention on my other post: Upgrade the memory
to at least 1 gig, it will make a big difference when loading levels or
textures (on World of Warcraft, memory has a much bigger effect on
framerate than any gfx card can make)

Stavros
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2005 12:56:15 AM

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Another thing I forgot to mention on my other post: Upgrade the memory
> to at least 1 gig, it will make a big difference when loading levels or
> textures (on World of Warcraft, memory has a much bigger effect on
> framerate than any gfx card can make)
>
> Stavros

Great, thanks for the information. You have been a great help
!