Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading my PC and OS

Last response: in Windows 7
December 2, 2011 2:16:41 AM

I'm on the verge of upgrading my computer and just ordered new ram, motherboard, and processor. I had a question regarding my OS, on my current setup I'm running vista, when I install my new motherboard and processor will I also have to buy/install a new OS as well? Will I be able to install all the new hardware and turn my computer on and do all the functions normally, or will I have to go through a process of installing a new OS and having everything wiped?

Thanks!

More about : upgrading

a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 2:30:42 AM

ND505 said:
I had a question regarding my OS, on my current setup I'm running vista, when I install my new motherboard and processor will I also have to buy/install a new OS as well? Will I be able to install all the new hardware and turn my computer on and do all the functions normally, or will I have to go through a process of installing a new OS and having everything wiped?

Thanks!

Hi ND505,

It is recommended that u do a clean install. It may work OK or it may not.

What OS do u have OEM or retail?

At worst u can buy Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM @ $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
December 2, 2011 2:35:42 AM

I currently have Vista, so upgrading and putting Windows 7 would probably be the better choice anyways, even if Vista does work after the new hardware is in. I got vista with my computer when I bought it a number of years ago, and got the discs with it.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 2:45:05 AM

If u replace mobo and CPU, u need to activate Vista again.

So if u don't have a retail Vista version, the old Vista will not activate, because it is OEM, that means to get a new OS, so it is easy to get the W7 OEM for $99.99

Bottom line is, if u will have to purchase a new OS, just get W7.

I got vista with my computer when I bought it a number of years ago, and got the discs with it.

U have OEM, so u need to get a new Windows.
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2011 2:46:31 AM

Generally you only can have the OS installed on 1 computer at a time. So if you move your Vista install over to the the new system, you would normally remove it from the old computer, but if it's OEM version, it's only good for the system that you put it on (under normal situations). You would be better off just getting Windows 7 and installing it on the new system, IMHO.
Score
December 2, 2011 2:50:11 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the useful input!
Score
December 2, 2011 2:50:26 AM

Best answer selected by ND505.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 2:54:28 AM

Thanks for the vote : )
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 2:54:39 AM