Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler for Asus p8p67 pro with 4 GSkill Ripjaws RAM

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2011 3:09:33 PM

I am completely new to putting together my own build and have already purchased some components that may conflict. Components include:

1. Asus p8p67 Pro MB
2. Intel i5-2500k CPU
3. 4 x 4gb RipjawsX RAM (41 mm tall including fin and connector)
4. Corsair 600t Case

I was going to go with the stock cooler, but am considering adding an after market cooler to allow overclocking & reduce heat stress. I need to know:

1. What coolers will clear the cooling fins when all 4 RAM slots are filled?
2. Of those coolers, which are easiest for a novice to install?

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
April 13, 2011 7:41:34 PM

wl2-pwr said:
I am completely new to putting together my own build and have already purchased some components that may conflict. Components include:

1. Asus p8p67 Pro MB
2. Intel i5-2500k CPU
3. 4 x 4gb RipjawsX RAM (41 mm tall including fin and connector)
4. Corsair 600t Case

I was going to go with the stock cooler, but am considering adding an after market cooler to allow overclocking & reduce heat stress. I need to know:

If you already have a Corsair 600t Case I would automatically get a Corsair H50/60/70 cooler. You can do a really good overclock on that i5-2500k and would definately not interfere with memory clearance.
m
l

Best solution

April 14, 2011 11:58:44 AM

wl2-pwr said:

I'm using a Cooler Master Gemini II S. it is low profile top down cooler (puts air on you Ram and Chipset also) I have a ASUS P8P67-M Pro MB using G.Skill RipJaw X ram. I have about a 1/16" clearance from the first ram heatink to the Gemini II HSF. the HSF can be rotated in 90 degree increments to position the heatpipes away from the Ram and other chipset heatsinks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the directions are fairly easy to follow, basically in a nutshell:
put on thermal paste
line bolts on heatsink up to 4 holes
push thu holes
put on back plate
snug 4 nuts onto the 4 bolts
Done!

do a dry run (no paste) first to make sure you have it turned and lined up correctly (Make sure your ram is already installed in slot 1).

Recommend these thermal pastes:
Arctic Silver-5
Arctic Ceramique
Shin-Etsu MicroSilver G-751
Arctic Cooling MX-1
Shin-Etsu MicroSilver MPU-3.7

Review on thermal pastes:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Related resources
April 14, 2011 2:04:18 PM

balearic said:
If you already have a Corsair 600t Case I would automatically get a Corsair H50/60/70 cooler. You can do a really good overclock on that i5-2500k and would definately not interfere with memory clearance.

Thanks for that recommendation. Very helpful. I will look into that options right away.
m
l
April 14, 2011 3:46:41 PM

I will second the H50/H60/H70 recommendation. It doesn't cool any better than a good tower cooler. However, the advantage here is it's space-saving design. You will have no issues whatsoever with RAM clearance.
m
l
April 15, 2011 4:28:30 PM

Appreciate the "dry run" suggestion. None of the web-based tutorials I had scrounged up included that helpful tip. the Links were useful as well. Great advise all around.

jerreddredd said:
I'm using a Cooler Master Gemini II S. it is low profile top down cooler (puts air on you Ram and Chipset also) I have a ASUS P8P67-M Pro MB using G.Skill RipJaw X ram. I have about a 1/16" clearance from the first ram heatink to the Gemini II HSF. the HSF can be rotated in 90 degree increments to position the heatpipes away from the Ram and other chipset heatsinks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the directions are fairly easy to follow, basically in a nutshell:
put on thermal paste
line bolts on heatsink up to 4 holes
push thu holes
put on back plate
snug 4 nuts onto the 4 bolts
Done!

do a dry run (no paste) first to make sure you have it turned and lined up correctly (Make sure your ram is already installed in slot 1).

Recommend these thermal pastes:
Arctic Silver-5
Arctic Ceramique
Shin-Etsu MicroSilver G-751
Arctic Cooling MX-1
Shin-Etsu MicroSilver MPU-3.7

Review on thermal pastes:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

m
l
April 25, 2011 3:41:41 PM

Best answer selected by wl2-pwr.
m
l
!