Huge temp swings 2600k

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
trying to figure out if this is normal, read a few threads on it...but mostly people had extreme temps. 2600k is clocked at 3800mhz right now with turbo off, idling bout 37c...with prime95 it instantly jumps to 57c, and when stopping workers, it literally in one second drops down from 57c to approx 42c. i cant say i remember seeing heat swings like this before, is this normal? if it's not normal, i'm back to bad seating with hsf. noctua nh-d14, for those familiar with this hsf, once you install the back plate correctly, all 4 arms hug the bottom of motherboard tightly, bolts come up, match the holes with install brackets, screw it down, end of story. trying to understand where in that process there could be any room for uneven mounting...

Solution
The CPU can pretty much instantly switch from full load speed to low-power idle mode. As soon as it does, both speed and voltage are lowered. That's why it decreases that quickly. If it's at idle and you apply full load, the temp will increase fairly quickly as well -- not quite as fast as the temp decrease, but still pretty quickly.

In other words, it is functioning normally.
The CPU can pretty much instantly switch from full load speed to low-power idle mode. As soon as it does, both speed and voltage are lowered. That's why it decreases that quickly. If it's at idle and you apply full load, the temp will increase fairly quickly as well -- not quite as fast as the temp decrease, but still pretty quickly.

In other words, it is functioning normally.

Solution

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Also you have the 2600k. The chip has hyperthread and it does add about 15c as soon as you start to stress it with benchmarks and games. If you turned it off, you wouldnt see the huge temp change.

Dont worry, its normal.