Change of CPU causes restart

paliakos

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hi all
My first post here,

I recently changed my old AMD 900 with a newer Athlon XP +3200 to my Albatros KX600. Although I set the clock multiplier and cpu frequency correctly i'm getting restarts every 15-20 min. Do you have any idea what causes this? Do I have to reinstall Windows?
I have also 2x 1GB DDR400 and ATI radeon 9800PRO 256MB AGP 8x

Thank you in advance
Michalis

paliakos

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
No my old heatsink but I can see no difference in the CPU temp it is stable at 60. I don't think it is a matter of heating since I'm getting restarts and no shut downs.

paliakos

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
This KX600 has a OTP (Over Temperature Protection) Jumper in order to

"This mainboard supports a special design for CPU Over Temperature Protection. If this function is “Enabled” and the CPU temperature rises above the normal range, the system will automatically shut down and you have to unplug the ATX_PWR connector".

If I disable it do you think it may help?

mi1ez

Splendid
It could do.

When you put the existing heatsink back on, did you clean the old TIM off and apply fresh stuff?

If the AMD 900 has lower temperature shutoff it could still be using that. Have you reset the CMOS? take the battery out and find the clrcmos jumper and move it. leave it a while and move it back and reinsert the battery.

Is that 60C at idle or full load? at boot or after a period of time?

paliakos

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
That's a good idea! I 'll try to clean the CMOS first and then see what happens! I let you know

Thank you very very much for your prompt reply

paliakos

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Dear Mi1ez the problem was the second RAM which is not supported. I'm still wondering why, since the manual specifies that 2 DDR400 could be on provided that they will stay in SLOT1 & 3 but I'm working with 1GB of now.

Thnx