Black screen no boot help

bradb1

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
hey i hope someone can help me. so here is my problem i had xp home that became infected with virus/malware that i could not remove. os preinstalled with purchase of pc so no start up disk so used xp pro serv pk 2 disk to do hard install. great got my system back started reinstalling software ie office, works, dvd 7x, roxio cd, etc. once done installed drivers next windows updates, pc is dell inspiron 531s so next dell updates. last night my pc went into a windows download and shutdown after. this morning when i turned on my pc nothing happened i have power (blue light power button), i hear motherboard fan, powerbox fan, cd rom flashes, do not hear hard drive hum or see blue light that indicates pc working, xp does not load (not even if i put the install disk in again) also nothing on monitor it does not even come out of standby mode. i hope someone can help thanks

bradb1

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

hey tried that and nothing still no sound from the hard drive no beeps just the fans on the motherboard and powerbox, and yes i formatted the drive before reinstalling thanks for your suggestions anything else i can try.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Do you have another computer you can swap parts with and see if you can determine what is bad? You are 100% sure there are no shorts? Have you pull the components from the case and just hooked them up on their own? Its not a harddrive issue, partition, format or otherwise if you're not even getting a post or video signal.

taffy653

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Make sure your boot Oder starts with the HDD otherwise it will just sit there looking for a OS

Also make sure all cables are properly connected to the HDD other wise you won't hear the "hum" of the HDD if there is no power