Voicemail password

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?
12 answers Last reply
More about voicemail password
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    thegoods wrote:
    > Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?


    Your phone should be programmed to dial the Vmail gateway number, which
    varies depending on where your service is homed from. Presumably, this
    method requires only your PIN for access.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I think the OP is referring to the pin. Some carriers (I just came from
    tmo) don't require a pin.

    Such a system, while convenient, is susceptible to attackers than can
    spoof CID (yes, there are ways to do this; tmo was recently in the news
    over such vulnerabilities).

    Is entering the pin the only way around this? I agree that this is
    inconvenient to do.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I jsut recently moved to a new state and got a new phone number. On my
    old number I had to program in the pause and the PIN when calling from
    my cell. However with my new number all I need to do is dial the
    voicemail gateway and it goes right to playing my messages. I'm not
    sure if it's based on the system where you are at or if a new feature.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    <thegoods> wrote in message
    news:j7bo81528git1s8r4t6pod2dsjuggcaf27@news-40.giganews.com...
    > Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?

    If you are calling from your own cell phone, you may be able to program your
    PIN to follow the voicemail dial number. On my Motorola V400, I went to the
    voicemail setup and simply added a pause command ("p" on my phone) and then
    the PIN to the end of the voicemail number. In this fashion, I do not need
    to type the number anymore.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Edoardo wrote:
    > <thegoods> wrote in message
    > news:j7bo81528git1s8r4t6pod2dsjuggcaf27@news-40.giganews.com...
    >
    >>Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?
    >
    >
    > If you are calling from your own cell phone, you may be able to program your
    > PIN to follow the voicemail dial number. On my Motorola V400, I went to the
    > voicemail setup and simply added a pause command ("p" on my phone) and then
    > the PIN to the end of the voicemail number. In this fashion, I do not need
    > to type the number anymore.
    >
    >


    That's what I do and I'm no longer concerned about it.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

    >thegoods wrote:
    >> Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?
    >
    >
    >Your phone should be programmed to dial the Vmail gateway number, which
    >varies depending on where your service is homed from. Presumably, this
    >method requires only your PIN for access.

    Insightful.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Edoardo" <sacrylege@gmail.com> wrote:

    ><thegoods> wrote in message
    >news:j7bo81528git1s8r4t6pod2dsjuggcaf27@news-40.giganews.com...
    >> Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?
    >
    >If you are calling from your own cell phone, you may be able to program your
    >PIN to follow the voicemail dial number. On my Motorola V400, I went to the
    >voicemail setup and simply added a pause command ("p" on my phone) and then
    >the PIN to the end of the voicemail number. In this fashion, I do not need
    >to type the number anymore.

    That's a good suggestion. I can't seem to find the voicemail setup on
    the V3. Does anyone happen to know where it is?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    thegoods wrote:

    >"Edoardo" <sacrylege@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >><thegoods> wrote in message
    >>news:j7bo81528git1s8r4t6pod2dsjuggcaf27@news-40.giganews.com...
    >>> Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my voicemail?
    >>
    >>If you are calling from your own cell phone, you may be able to program your
    >>PIN to follow the voicemail dial number. On my Motorola V400, I went to the
    >>voicemail setup and simply added a pause command ("p" on my phone) and then
    >>the PIN to the end of the voicemail number. In this fashion, I do not need
    >>to type the number anymore.
    >
    >That's a good suggestion. I can't seem to find the voicemail setup on
    >the V3. Does anyone happen to know where it is?

    Thanks, found it and it worked.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    ===============================================
    * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
    * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
    * Reply to: All; <thegoods>
    * Date:Fri, 20 May 2005 06:04:03 -0500
    * Subj: Re: Voicemail password
    =====================================================
    >><thegoods> wrote in message
    >>news:j7bo81528git1s8r4t6pod2dsjuggcaf27@news-40.giganews.com...
    >>> Do I really have to enter it then # every time I check my
    >>> voicemail?

    >>If you are calling from your own cell phone, you may be able to
    >>program your PIN to follow the voicemail dial number. On my Motorola
    >> V400, I went to the voicemail setup and simply added a pause command
    >>("p" on my phone) and then the PIN to the end of the voicemail
    >>number. In this fashion, I do not need to type the number
    >>anymore.

    If calling from your cell phone, you should just need to press and hold the "1" key and you'll be connected to your VM and hear your messages without a password, etc. Another way would be to go to "Messages>>VM" and press "CALL" (right soft key on my phone) and again you'll be connected to VM ready to hear the options w/o any password required.
    --
    Jack
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On 19 May 2005 11:32:38 -0700, "mc" <mrmikec@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I think the OP is referring to the pin. Some carriers (I just came from
    >tmo) don't require a pin.
    >
    >Such a system, while convenient, is susceptible to attackers than can
    >spoof CID (yes, there are ways to do this; tmo was recently in the news
    >over such vulnerabilities).
    >
    >Is entering the pin the only way around this? I agree that this is
    >inconvenient to do.

    If accessing from the phone program your phone to always pause when
    you call the VM number and add the pauses and then send the PIN code.

    I'm not sure how to do it on other models but on Nokia just press *
    twice rapidly and then the digits required (when setting up the
    voicemail number.)

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    mc wrote:
    > I think the OP is referring to the pin. Some carriers (I just came from
    > tmo) don't require a pin.
    >
    > Such a system, while convenient, is susceptible to attackers than can
    > spoof CID (yes, there are ways to do this; tmo was recently in the news
    > over such vulnerabilities).
    >
    > Is entering the pin the only way around this? I agree that this is
    > inconvenient to do.

    The other option is to implement ANI, which is significantly harder to
    spoof, and perhaps to also have the software check to make sure the
    incoming call is actually from the wireless network rather than a
    wireline call. But, between the expense of setting that up, and the
    expense ($0) of just making everyone use their PIN, I think most
    carriers are choosing the latter.


    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > mc wrote:
    >
    >> I think the OP is referring to the pin. Some carriers (I just came from
    >> tmo) don't require a pin.
    >>
    >> Such a system, while convenient, is susceptible to attackers than can
    >> spoof CID (yes, there are ways to do this; tmo was recently in the news
    >> over such vulnerabilities).
    >>
    >> Is entering the pin the only way around this? I agree that this is
    >> inconvenient to do.
    >
    >
    > The other option is to implement ANI, which is significantly harder to
    > spoof, and perhaps to also have the software check to make sure the
    > incoming call is actually from the wireless network rather than a
    > wireline call. But, between the expense of setting that up, and the
    > expense ($0) of just making everyone use their PIN, I think most
    > carriers are choosing the latter.
    >

    Forget that part about ANI, customers don't have access to ANI data
    because the protocol doesn't exist in the customer loop, making it quite
    impossible to manipulate the data that controls billing. And for all
    the right reasons.


    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Ask a new question

Read More

Cingular Internet Service Providers