Asus mobo wont power on

clok555

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
i have an asus p541t lm. when i first got it around 2 o clock today it worked fine. it powered on and displayed on my monitor. so after putting it in its case i turned it on and off testing it. i plugged in a couple of leds and then it stopped working. it simply wont power on. the psu works. and dont tell me i dont have enough power because it was working fine earlier! i have core 2 qaud 300w psu. please help me before i throw my computer at a hippo.
thanks.

oh also i tried unplugging everything and putting it back together.
and i tried tking out the cmos battery. its not dead.
im stuck please help.

300 watts is most definitely not enough for a computer with a quad core processor and presumably other components. I AM telling you that your PSU is grossly insufficient. A PSU can put out more than its rated power temporarily but doing this over an extended period of time (minutes even) will definitely damage not only the PSU but other components as well.

I'm confused as to what you mean by "plugged in a couple of leds", what did you plug in exactly?

Asus motherboards are pretty robust and the chances of it being damaged from that are pretty slim. Double, triple check all of your connections. Pay close attention to the power cables (24 pin and 8 pin power cables going to your motherboard) and start unplugging peripherals or even starting over if you cannot figure it out.

300 watts is an extremely tiny envelope to work with as your CPU will be chewing up a third of it on its own before including that very nice motherboard much less fans and anything else. Most quality manufacturers don't make PSUs that small anymore and the poor ones that do tend to massively skew the numbers. The peak power output is the sum of the maximum power on each voltage rail and some PSUs might not even be able to fully load all three rails simultaneously which results in an actual power rating of less than advertised. It's possible that you don't have sufficient peak current available on the 5 volt rail to power your system. The PSU is like the engine of your car, it has to carry everything else and as such you should definitely take care of it.

clok555

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
i did not realise the standof posts existed until some guy told me but i dont think its damaged.i adjusted the jumpers that were moved it is now turning on but the fan is very loud and no video. im just glad its getting power. i am going to buy a 600 650 watt maybe power supply and try moving the ram around could be faulty channel. so yeah if someone knows how to fix this no video and loud fan issue that would be great i already read the post about troubleshooting before posting.
thanks