laptop harddrive..

I want to upgrade my sony PCG-FX340 laptop16GB harddrive to something better
and bigger.
I am considering buying either a 40 GB or 60GB drive.
I read some webpages and everyone recommends going to 5400 RPM as opposed to
4200 RPM.
Now I am debating among the brands I can get.
I was thinking about a 60GB Samsung Spinpoint, and a Hitachi travelstar
60GB.
I can get either for about $90
I can get 40GB versions for about $70
Does anyone recommend one of those over the other one?
Or maybe even other brand? Seagate? WD?

thanks,

guillermo
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop harddrive

    "Guillermo" <gmozavala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to upgrade my sony PCG-FX340 laptop16GB harddrive to something
    better
    > and bigger.
    > I am considering buying either a 40 GB or 60GB drive.
    > I read some webpages and everyone recommends going to 5400 RPM as opposed
    > 4200 RPM.
    > Now I am debating among the brands I can get.
    > I was thinking about a 60GB Samsung Spinpoint, and a Hitachi travelstar
    > 60GB.
    > I can get either for about $90
    > I can get 40GB versions for about $70
    > Does anyone recommend one of those over the other one?
    > Or maybe even other brand? Seagate? WD?

    I'd go for Fujitsu, Seagate, or WD.

    I suggest you get at least a 5400rpm drive with 16mb of cache. You'll get
    good speed for a good price.

    How big of drive is something only you can figure, but I recommend the
    biggest you can afford, for a couple reasons. For one, you'll get some more
    speed. You'll also have room for storing movies. While you can play them
    in a DVD drive, you can save loads of battery by transferring the movie to
    your HD and playing it from there.

    Pagan

    gmozavala@hotmail.com (Guillermo) wrote in

    > I read some webpages and everyone recommends going to 5400 RPM as
    > opposed to 4200 RPM.

    Actually, the ante has now been raised to 7200RPM :-)

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

    Guillermo wrote:
    > I want to upgrade my sony PCG-FX340 laptop16GB harddrive to something better
    > and bigger.
    > I am considering buying either a 40 GB or 60GB drive.
    > I read some webpages and everyone recommends going to 5400 RPM as opposed to
    > 4200 RPM.
    > Now I am debating among the brands I can get.
    > I was thinking about a 60GB Samsung Spinpoint, and a Hitachi travelstar
    > 60GB.
    > I can get either for about $90
    > I can get 40GB versions for about $70
    > Does anyone recommend one of those over the other one?
    > Or maybe even other brand? Seagate? WD?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > guillermo

    The Hitachi Travelstars are the best laptop drives around at the moment.
    The 5k80 and the (new) 5k100 are 5400 rpm drives with space from 40 to
    80 gigs, while the 7k60 is the 7200 rpm 60GB drive, which is currently
    the fastest laptop drive available. I HIGHLY recommended it, as it has
    better power management than most 5400 rpm drives and runs cool and
    quiet, while at the same time the performance increase over the 4200
    drive you have will make you think you got a new drive. Another option
    (but expensive), is to look for the new seagate momentus , which is a
    5400 rpm 100GB drive with good performance and lots of space.

    HTH

    Stavros

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    snip

    FWIW, Heat=power consumption. The two correlate 1:1, exactly. More
    > power consumption = more heat, and it's an exactly proportional linear
    > relatinship.
    >
    > snip

    Hi Barry,

    I am not sure I needed this friendly lecture. Of course this is true,
    unless part of the power (or all of it) is converted into work, which is
    not the case in a laptop's hard-drive.

    Although the relationship is obviously scientifically true within the
    stated restriction, on a forum like this one, when people discuss
    battery life, they do not necessarily relate it to the heat they feel on
    their laps ... and vice-versa.

    Regards
    --
    John Doue

    Well, there are two issues:

    1. If I get a faster hard drive to replace my slower hard drive, might
    I have a cooling problem

    and

    2. If I get a faster hard drive to replace my slower hard drive, will
    my battery life be shortened and/or might I have an internal power
    supply problem

    And the answer to both is, if the faster drive draws less power than the
    slower drive, no, you have nothing to worry about, and otherwise you
    might have have an issue.

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > Well, there are two issues:
    >
    > 1. If I get a faster hard drive to replace my slower hard drive, might
    > I have a cooling problem
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2. If I get a faster hard drive to replace my slower hard drive, will
    > my battery life be shortened and/or might I have an internal power
    > supply problem
    >
    > And the answer to both is, if the faster drive draws less power than the
    > slower drive, no, you have nothing to worry about, and otherwise you
    > might have have an issue.
    >

    > John Doue wrote:
    >
    >> Barry Watzman wrote:
    >>

    >> snip
    >>
    >> FWIW, Heat=power consumption. The two correlate 1:1, exactly. More
    >>
    >>> power consumption = more heat, and it's an exactly proportional
    >>> linear relatinship.
    >>>
    >>> snip
    >>

    >> Hi Barry,
    >>
    >> I am not sure I needed this friendly lecture. Of course this is true,
    >> unless part of the power (or all of it) is converted into work, which
    >> is not the case in a laptop's hard-drive.
    >>
    >> Although the relationship is obviously scientifically true within the
    >> stated restriction, on a forum like this one, when people discuss
    >> battery life, they do not necessarily relate it to the heat they feel
    >> on their laps ... and vice-versa.
    >>
    >> Regards
    I believe most of us got your point, Barry ...

    --
    John Doue

Laptops Hard Drives Product