Can this price possibly be correct?

cpufan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I'm looking to build a new computer and decided to look at the Quad Core Duo Extreme, which was too expensive for me the last time I built a rig, a few years ago. I took a look at pricewatch.com for the QX6850:

http://www.pricewatch.com/search?q=QX6850&x=0&y=0&totalcost_min=%24min&totalcost_max=%24max

The best price is $250. I even called the company to make sure that wasn't a mistake, but the sales rep verified $250. I don't get it. This processor is the top of the line Quad Core Duo -- there's none better. The only beefier processors out there are the Nehalem CPUs, which I don't want to get because they (and the mobos) are still very pricey.

I quick look confirmed that the QX6850 retails at about $1000.

How can $250 possibly be correct?

Thanks!
Pete

cpufan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I chose to focus on the Quad Core Duo because I built one about 2 years ago, and it has been rock solid performance for a great price. I was going to clone the machine but get an upgraded CPU due to the falling prices. The system does everything I need, quickly and reliably.

I run multiple financial scenarios, financial number crunching, and multivariate optimizations with many constraints. I'm also a hardcore gamer. ;)

Would you suggest the Nehalem then? Last I looked, the prices were still pretty high. I don't know much about the core i7 (which is another reason why I chose the Extreme Core Duo -- I need to build a computer quickly to replace one of my el-cheapo ones that broke last night)

Thanks.
Pete

cpufan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If that's the case, I better do some research then. I know nothing about the Nehalem architecture -- prices, motherboards, etc. Sigh.

Thank you for your responses!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
First, theres no such thing as a Quad Core Duo. Its called Core 2 Quad, or Core 2 Duo, depending on dual or quad core.

Second, the QX6800 is the old extreeme version of the Core2, the new one is the QX9x50 (Comes in 9650 and 9750 flavors, althouh the 9750 is rare).

Third, if you already have a Q6xxx, theres not alot of reason for you to upgrade at this point. Hold off for the 6 core 32nm Nehalems.