manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,
Guyz need help i am animation student need to buy new pc plz help wiht effective low cost configuration.

Low Budget...$ 800 Max

MK

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This depends on a lot of things. Whether you should focus on a fast processor (like the i7-2600K) or a fast video card (the the GeForce GTX 465) depends on the software you're using. If the software uses the video card, then go for the 465 or something. If the software uses the CPU, go with the i7-2600K (or i5-2500K, of which is about $100 cheaper)). Beyond this, I can't really help too much.

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
THanx,

I am using software like , 3d max and maya.i know i 7 -2600k is cool processor.
m bit confused on gfx card, bcoz someone says u need pro card for rendering (firepro or quadro etc)...i read somewhere ppl using gaming cards with for rendering with support of rivatuner is it possible .

mk

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I am using software like , 3d max and maya.i know i 7 -2600k is cool processor.
m bit confused on gfx card, bcoz someone says u need pro card for rendering (firepro or quadro etc)...i read somewhere ppl using gaming cards with for rendering with support of rivatuner is it possible .

mk

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hey,

I am using software like , 3d max and maya.I have to buy new cost Effective pc(mid - range).
i 7 -2600k is cool processor.

Manish

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
You can definitely render your animations using gaming cards, although as you can imagine the firepro / quadro etc are optimized for this. To start you off... i would suggest a good mobo, cpu (2500 / 2600) and a fair amount of RAM (min 4GB). Finally, A decent graphics card will definitely help your cause...

Just make sure you can upgrade in the future without having to build a whole new rig. So... make sure your 4GB RAM is not using all your RAM slots. Also, if possible, make sure the MOBO has space for another GC in the future... sli / crossfire.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi Manish.

While it is true that rendering works best off of the expensive workstation cards (fire or quadro), it depends on what exactly your uses are. I've seen a lot of 3D CAD builds that just use the conventional gaming video cards, I own several.

I assume since you are using 3d max and maya you do a lot of 3D rendering. In that case I would suggest for you to look at a workstation card as opposed to a gaming video card. If you specify a budget we can help you pick one out if you like.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Manish, it seems you have two threads on this topic but for your $800 build you won't have enough money for a workstation card. Most of the lower end ones start at $400 which is half your build. You would be better off IMO with a mid level gaming card, while it won't give you the same performance... with your budget it's the realistic option.

I might suggest creating a new thread in the System section of the forums, you might be able to get better responses. There is also a form to fill out with your post to help people answer your questions and help you with a build.

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hi Manish.

While it is true that rendering works best off of the expensive workstation cards (fire or quadro), it depends on what exactly your uses are. I've seen a lot of 3D CAD builds that just use the conventional gaming video cards, I own several.

I assume since you are using 3d max and maya you do a lot of 3D rendering. In that case I would suggest for you to look at a workstation card as opposed to a gaming video card. If you specify a budget we can help you pick one out if you like.

Thanks for reply..

pro cards not in my budget at that time some low version cards are...but i don,nt wanna those.

thnx..

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thnx for reply

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
greghome

Gaming GPUs can do those sort of work, but workstation GPus do them much better, it's only how much ur work mean to you as oppose to gaming.
For the price of ur typical Quadro or Firepro, u should be able to buy a GTS590 or HD6990

Thnx GTS590 is gd card ,........

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
CRT monitors are the best as far as cost goes. After all, I got my 1920x1440 monitor for only $150 via retail (not Ebay). The 1920x1200 LCD goes for more than triple that (roughly $500) and it's even less resolution. The next highest is 2560x1600, but that costs double again and it's not available on a CRT (2048x1536 is the highest I've seen for CRT monitors).

The i5-2500K (about $220) is a decent mid-range processor that can supposedly be easily overclocked if needed.

The GeForce GTX 465 (about $120) has the highest benchmarks for processing power over cost - the best for the least). Since animation type stuff usually involves the video card, you might consider a more powerful card and the Radeon HD 6850 seems quite good for a price to power ratio but it costs roughly $175. Given benchmarks and your budget, the HD 6850 is likely the best option. Higher up is the GeForce GTX 480, costing a rather hefty $300. Much beyond here, the price to power ratio is pretty weak.

The CPU and video card alone cost about $400, assuming the recommended video card. Throw in a semi-decent motherboard ($100), RAM ($20 for 2 GB though I'd recommend up to 8 GB if you're doing high end stuff, of which hovers around $80), a good monitor (a 1600x1200 CRT hovers around $125), and other standard necessities (CD drive, keyboard, mouse, case, power supply, etc.), and you should be pretty close to your $800 max.

For reference, the benchmarking site I used is PassMark:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

These benchmarks are likely geared toward gaming, not animation. As to what kind of PSU you'll need, eXtreme Power Supply Calculator is pretty good - always add at least 10% to the recommendation, preferrably 25%. You might add on more as funding becomes available. This calculator is available here:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Hopefully this will help you get started.

manish24386

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
GUyz......

Quadro 600 -- 6950 -- Gtx 560 or 570.........

What do u think....is high Cuda core helps ..or not in rendering ?

All most same price here india 20 to 30$ difference..

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
If I recall, Cuda is for video processing, not gaming. For example, if you have a camcorder and you want to edit the videos recorded by it, Cuda will help accelerate it, but only if your video editing program supports it (Virtual Dub, as far as I'm aware, doesn't). Recording from a TV tuner and the eventual editing that may follow can make use of it. Video processing direct on the processor without the use of Cuda or Quick Sync apparently has better quality though.