Home media server

techo

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I am going back off to college in a couple of months and I will be living in a house of 6 guys.

I recently built my first build earlier this year and I ave been intrigued about setting up a small server.

Here are my intentions:

1. To allow all six guys to have access to music and movies from server. Both UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD
2. I would like to convert an old PC I already have and just add a 2TB external HDD for storage.
3. Possibly back up my computer to this server and have a printer shared on the server

I would prefer to not have to purchase any software, but rather use free software.

The real use of this is to have this PC constantly hooked up to our main TV and speaker system so for parties/tailgates we can have all of our music in one place without having to go from PC to PC and saving files.

On another note, anyone suggest a media player better than itunes or winamp?

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
My recommendation would be to go for a linux server, maybe Linux Ububtu Media edition since you will be handling audio and video, stick to linux as it is free and is not hit as hard when it comes to viruses over windows when you got three oaks sharing data, there's bound to be viruses, also take alot of consideration with your network infrastructure, eg..Switches, stick to gigabit if you can afford make sure the server has a gigabit card as well as for downloading and uploading i will have to get back to you there was a brilliant freeware app that i used to use in college, fail to recall the name, im sure someone on the forum will be able to help us out there however.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

orly? linux? it's the guy's first build, he has no idea what he's doing, and you suggest linux? "free software" doesn't necessarily mean he wants linux. if he uses homegroup folder sharing in windows xp and newer, that would count as free.

btw the software you're talking about was VideoLAN. I think it's incorporated into the (still free) videoLan player client thing, although IMO the awesome search and sharing functionality is buried under 10 tonnes of zomg-we-are-media-player-too

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
No it is not video lan that is VLC that is a media program i was talking about a shared director program for all files types not just media. Also Linux is not as hard as you think its got a gui interface just windows, for what you need it for it is well up to the job. Have you even used Linux before? doesn't sound like it the way you going on, maybe give it a try and you might learn a thing or two.

popatim

Titan
Pilk - Althought the first thing I thought of was a myth frontend/backend setup I dont really think this is the route to go with this OP. It is Linux and there will be a learning curve esp when hes likely to run into needing to grab a driver or file or two. Its ain't even close to windows in that respect.

Techo - I'm gonna suggest you rethingk this a little. For one - a 2Tb external HDD sitting in the middle of your living room ... well its gonna walk off one day.

Two - Free is tuff to fill without going to linux or FreeBSD and then you have a learning curve to go thru to get this all up and running. There is also XBMC which I have yet to play with.

With free windows software you still have the need to spend money for windows itself and if thats the case then I suggest Windows Home Server 2011. For half the price of windows 7 home you get the server 2008 core! The WHS will not be able to be your tv/party machine though. Its strictly server but it can handle all your other requirements.

If you already have windows then mediaportal is pretty nice. If you have windows 7 then it comes with MediaCenter built in, open it up on your own pc and see what you think of it. Vista also came with MC built in.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hey POP no you are fully correct in you statement you do have to learn a little but at the benefit of free software i was under the assumption he would move onto the fact of a little sacrifice after all all he has stated "free software" others i would recommend the windows approach if he where paying for the software. Hundred percent on the server core edition except as you say the media center part might be a bit of an issue. Lets wait for his reply and see where he stands with it all. =)