Help in choosing motherboard

I'm Comparing the Asus P8Z68-V LE (Refurbed from Tiger Direct) at $119.96 vs the P8Z68-V Pro at $204

I'm planning on over-clocking a Core i5 2500K. (Also purchasing)

I'm trying to do this on a budget < $500 for memory, processor, Mobo

Is there a great advantage to the Pro vs the LE?
I see that the LE lacks onboard Bluetooth (Don't care) and that the LE has a few less usb... eh..

Anything else big?
7 answers Last reply
More about help choosing motherboard
  1. Asus MB's have problems, they have double startups and freezing during boot. Rather I recommend Gigabyte or Biostar MB's.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375352
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371606
  2. aqe040466 said:
    Asus MB's have problems, they have double startups and freezing during boot. Rather I recommend Gigabyte or Biostar MB's.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375352
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371606

Is this a really common problem or have you just had a bad user experience? I haven't built a machine in a few years but Asus used to be the staple and a lot of the reviews here have the Asus Z68 rated pretty good.

Not to be argumentative... just want to be thorough.
  3. asus is good if you have tho money (i think the asus mobos are more expensive not to sure) msi is also good i have the msi z68a-gd65 and im happy with it.
  4. Well, according to Newegg.com it sounds like the latest P9X79 boards are suffering from a lot of DOA. I am a long time customer of Asus boards, but.... i think i might start to skip Asus with their new lineups of boards, it seems they are suffering in the QC departement, because a lot of their new lga2011 boards are defective... and RMA is a pain with them now... go read the reviews on newegg.com on some of the more recent motherboards, and this might help you make a better decision
  5. ^His mobo isn't a 2011 socket... LOL :)
  6. Rassal said:
    Well, according to Newegg.com it sounds like the latest P9X79 boards are suffering from a lot of DOA. I am a long time customer of Asus boards, but.... i think i might start to skip Asus with their new lineups of boards, it seems they are suffering in the QC departement, because a lot of their new lga2011 boards are defective... and RMA is a pain with them now... go read the reviews on newegg.com on some of the more recent motherboards, and this might help you make a better decision

Thank you Rassal!
    I'll have to go check those reviews.

--- To bump back to and reword my original question though: What features are going to actually make a difference in my over-clocking experience. I know that I want to use a Z68 board. (I currently have a GeForce 8800GT and want to take advantage of the intel HD graphics onboard)

I have read the Reviews and matchups of the boards but they tend to review the Pro or highest tier of each brands board.

The reason I wanted to know the diff between the LE and the Pro is because I wanted to know if they had diff software/bios stuff that is going to change my ability/ease of overclocking my system.

I'm an Electrical and Computer engineer by trade so I understand concepts but I am not familiar with a lot of the details in consumer computing ie. Software used for overclocking, DDR3 speeds, etc..
    I plan on reading over some over-clocking guides to learn the nuances of FSB speeds, clk multipliers and core voltages.

(In the microprocessor world, we only use faster clocks or clk multipliers and usually provide a stable core voltage. I'll have to try to over-clock my Atmega and PICs when I'm done with this!)
  7. OK I ended up buying a gigabyte mobo from MicroCenter.
    They had a really good deal on a higher end gigabyte. I bought that. Then they give you an automatic 50$ rebate when you get a board and processor together and the i5 2500K was already on sale. I ended up paying less than 300$ for processor, mobo and 8G of 1600 DDR3. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards