Upgrading a cpu in a factory computer

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Just a quick question for those with more experience: Can I or should I upgrade my CPU?

I just upgraded from an old nVidia 9800GT to a GTX460 (1GB) for better game performance, but should I upgrade my CPU as well?

I currently have a remarkably slow AMD Phenom II x4 running at a taudy 2.6Ghz. I know the AMD Phenom II Black Edition uses the same socket type and is 3.4Ghz out of the box. Should I upgrade the processor to black edition or just get a new motherboard for the set-up? (I was thinking of purchasing an AM3+ Mobo)

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
It's an HP, not that old.

I tried, but I can't find a board model number. But it has a Phenom II x4 already in it, so I thought it would use the AM3 socket. Hence, upgrading to the Black Edition of the Phenom II.

But I realize that I would have to buy a new copy of Windows if I replace the MOBO.

brandondiep

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
A SSD isn't gonna add any fps just speed up load times which is a waste of money, but waiting for bulldozer is a good idea. Usually retail computers are not made for upgrading, just a way to make you buy a whole new pc. But still check your motherboard model and someone can check if you can run the 955. If you want a performance increase, the intel i5 2500k would be your best bet for now.

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
you could just tell us your PC make/Model and we could tell you your PC specs, but yeah a Phenom II 910e (2.6Ghz, its a 65W CPU so im not too sure if a 95W would work) should be able to handle a GTX460 1GB just fine. And yeah upgrading your mobo would require buying another copy of your OS. If you do plan on doing an Upgrade i would reccommend waiting will Bulldozer is actually released in a month or two, Since your current system is more than capable.

if you want a performance boost i would reccommend the OCZ solid3/Agility3 or the OCZ Vertex 3 series SSDs.
As far as the SSDs go, I'm waiting for more price drops. Otherwise, all they'll hold is the OS while a traditional hard disk would store the games. (Over $100 for a 60 GB on Newegg.)
My model is a Phenom II x4 910e. So it looks like a new mobo is in order.